Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Shanoa Drawing Nitpick  (Read 12120 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Shanoa Drawing Nitpick
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
In Reply To #15

Me too.

But I mean not sure what the hell she could possibly do better: Shanoa is one of the best new CV characters in recent memory, and that's all due to the new exciting artist behind her creation.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »
The feet is horrible but I agree with Giz on the leg since before I seen his corrections of the leg, I stared at the source art for a few minutes and realized that the folds of the dress indicates where the hidden leg was at, which is where Giz have drawn with the overlaid grid.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
That's an impressive pic comrade! But I'd have to agree with the other about that leg part. Don't worry, I've had my share of problems too when drawing people. My biggest beef with drawing people was getting the hands to be the right size. It's bugged me for a lot of years. My brother has been influential for getting that fixed. And while it may not surprise anyone here, in all of the pics that I've done over the years, I've only had to use the wire frame technique maybe five times. But doing those hands...EEAAARRRRGGG!!!

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 06:37:46 PM »
Trust me guys, that leg is NOT in the right place. If Giz had used a thinner line instead of such a thick one it'd be noticeable. The rightside of her hip would have to be insanely lower for that to be possible.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 04:44:44 AM »
In Reply To #18

The wireframe should be used EVERY TIME: there's no good excuse not to (unless you're just doodling or purposefully trying to skew proportions).  Once you get fast at it, it saves you SO much time later on, sparing you stupid unmeasurable mistakes that will just slow you down and keep you guessing. If you want your figure to look real or at least believable within itself, you have to plan it; then follow that plan to the end using those rules.

It's the same for planning almost any type of detailed spacial background: you gotta use the perspective lines and horizon to set it all up -- a MUCH more annoying task than the wireframe technique IMO.

I'm not saying there can't be some wonderful free form alternative techniques (look at Popeye's proportions ;D), but if you're going for a more real-world idea, like drawing the human figure, you better approach it in a more real-world way.

The universe works in a certain way and our eyes can immediately pick up when something is even the tiniest bit off in representation of it.  More often than not, when a piece of art has something simply wrong with it, it's because it simply wasn't planned right; It had no rules.

You're also going to have significantly reduced control over poses and overall composition if you choose not to use a wire frame.  You can only eye-ball and improvise so much...

Take it from an artist who's been there many times and got tired of all the time wasted.  Get the tedious parts out of the way and you'll have all the time in the world to refine the creative aspects of your piece. Compare that to hours of frustrating back-tracking just to grasp what went wrong. 

The wire frame is to the artist what the equation is to the mathematician: in both cases, you won't have to do nearly as much double-checking to get the final answer.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Tags: