Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Homemade Chain Whip Prototype  (Read 7250 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 12:01:56 AM »
You address Gogo Yubari by name, you filthy heathen

She still got "nailed" in the head  :-X Even just looking at her face you could tell something was wrong with her mind. Back to the weapon in question though, I left the name out as I wasn't sure if it was her's or the weapon's.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »
Oh yeah, Gogo was fuckin' crazy.

Her weapon's a meteor hammer, which is actually Chinese. She uses a single-hammer version as opposed to the more common two-hammer.

As for feasibility of the actual Vampire Killer, there was also a literal chain whip in Chinese weaponry in centuries past. Rather than be a series of links, it used long metal rods (not really rods, but I can't think of a better word), the most famous being the nine-link. They typically had a sharp dart or hook of some nature on the end, rather than a mace ball as the VK does. Due to how they were constructed, they could and can be used more like a regular hide whip. The longer links could wrap around targets better than smaller O-links, and allowed for better control over the length of the weapon. The weightier construction also meant that force carried through the whole thing better, which when coupled with proper speed makes it pretty effective.

Obviously we know the VK isn't one of these, but it is interesting to note that a practically-usable chain whip does exist.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »
I always thought that a realistic way to use a chain whip with a ball as a weapon would be to swing it really fast like a slingshot, the way Belmonts do in some of the games (and the way Gogo Yubari does), until it gains speed, and then use its speed (rather than flailing it) to strike down an opponent. Biggest problems with that, however, is that the ball would be hard to aim when spun very quickly, and that spinning a heavy ball all the time would get you tired very quickly.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
That's why Belmonts train at a young age and end up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger at adulthood when they're ready to slay the count. And because they trained from the very beginning on how to use said weapon they can use it however they see fit (including swinging it around like a regular whip). This is also a reason why I consider Ayami Kojima's thinly-built pretty boys to be an unrealistic representation of one with such hardcore training (personal art choices aside of course), especially when you take into account the strength and stamina needed to wield such a weapon.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »
kill bill (mario version)
Always loved that fight scene! ;-)

Perhaps this is the idea behind the whip, but it was/is portrayed like a bullwhip for simplicity's sake?
Or perhaps they just needed something to claim was a strong(er) whip and didn't care about the accuracy?

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
The morning star strikes me as a cavalry weapon, not a hand-to-hand weapon. Long shaft with a blade/point is typically anti-cavalry (or weird kung-fu stuff), but a long shaft with an awkward weight at the end suggests to me it was meant to be carried from atop a horse with the arm in a relaxed position and then when the rider is ready to strike he'd swing it underarm/sidearm and couple with the momentum of the horse to mow down an enemy or knock a passing knight off. Using as a debilitator in hand-to-hand combat I could see, but it'd be in conjunction with a one-handed sword or dagger and you'd be fighting with your off-hand with one of the weapons, so it'd take a lot of skill.

And if you were wearing a gauntlet, I don't think a longer chain would be that bad. But if you're trying to swing it on a horse, a shorter chain is better for accuracy and speed, all things considered. If the VK was a flail, with the dimensions depicted in the games it'd be a very slow, inaccurate weapon and needing considerable skill to even wield remotely effectively.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything