Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Considering writing a dystopian cyberpunk "if the nazis won the war" novel  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Inspired by Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle" series and cyberpunk culture, I'm considering writing a novel that would be a crossover of alternate history and cyberpunk.
The basic premise is this: After securing total control over the world in WW3, the Third Reich begins a series of creepy projects to overcome humanity's limitations by bio-engineering. The new Fuehrer, an American, is obsessed with the idea of creating immortal ubermenschen, and spares no resources in his quest to achieve it. Economically devastated and overly-industrialized, the big cities of what used to be the United States are run by corrupt SS officers, who enforce the law selectively, allowing for pockets of crime organization to control the slums.

What do you think? Would you recommend any works that could provide me more inspiration?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Considering writing a dystopian cyberpunk "if the nazis won the war" novel
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
I dig these kinds of stories so I'm in support of it. Your synopsis seems pretty good and I'd definitely read something like that.

The concept was explored pretty well in Wolfenstein: The New Order, as well. If you haven't checked that game out, the story alone is pretty awesome.

I'm saying pretty a lot.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Seconded. I loved how New Order did it, this sounds just as interesting.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:38:57 PM »
Always did like Nazi stories for some unknown reason. It's like they represent the ultimate low point of humanity and as such, make the perfect destopian villians to stomp all over. I'd say write out your story and see what you can come up with. Also watching these videos about possible alternate history involving the Nazis is a good way to get the creative thoughts going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btI5y8Sw9cs  (This one's about the novel "The Man in the High Castle" which you've read stated in your post already. I like the fact that Canada is still Canada, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCuE7jmFa4  (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsdxkRhapU  (part 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRcVGO1s9Sw  (part 3)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:52:00 AM »
I am unfamiliar with "The New Order", although I know Wolfenstein.
I'll be sure to check it out.

I wonder why Dick didn't mention Canada in his novel. Obviously, Canada was close to Britain as part of the commonwealth so surely it should have been mentioned...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:58:57 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
The premise could be interesting, but the only alternate history novel I've read is "Fatherland". Which was about a Berlin homicide detective who many years after the war discovers the holocaust coverup (just ahead of an important first meeting between Hitler and an American President, Kennedy, on Hitler's 90th or somesuch birthday) and his subsequent run from Nazi government agents who want to keep it a secret. So can't help much.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
I am unfamiliar with "The New Order", although I know Wolfenstein.
I'll be sure to check it out.

TL;DR the Nazis have a superscientist sociopath who got access to an ancient Jewish secret society's vault of highly-advanced supertech, which was used to win the war and take over the world (and the moon, no I'm not joking--there's Nazis on the moon, and yes that have harpoons).

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
TL;DR the Nazis have a superscientist sociopath who got access to an ancient Jewish secret society's vault of highly-advanced supertech, which was used to win the war and take over the world (and the moon, no I'm not joking--there's Nazis on the moon, and yes that have harpoons).

It sounds silly, but trust us. It's actually really awesome.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
Starting is always the easy part. Throw thoughts on paper. The paper wants words, and you deliver.
Continuing is more challenging. Requires careful planning.

Took an easy way with an 1984 style opening. Let me know what you think.

"The Fuehrer's visit to the Reich-capital is continuing as planned, leading the discussion of the ongoing reforms. Transatlantic integration is a top priority, as he said on Tuesday, it is absolutely crucial for closer cooperation on the new projects. He described the projects' initiation as history in the making, at a time when mankind is finally able to liberate itself from the limitations of flesh."

Hans turned off the TV. He felt tired of looking at the Fuehrer's confident, cleanly shaved face.
Of course, it was only predictable that an American would become Fuehrer at some point, and when it happened it seemed almost natural, a favorable development in the great races' history. It always seemed to be widely acknowledged that Anglo-Saxons were Aryans too, even during the First War of Liberation; only misguided by parasitic races, and pushed by them on a path to self-destruction. So many lives lost when the brother nations were blowing each other to bits. Fortunately, Germany's determination saved us all, and now we were free to pursue our destiny.
Or at least that's what The Party says.

Some were actually foolish enough to think the new dominance of the NSAWP within the Reich would bring real improvement to the new world; after all, it was undoubtedly a coup-d'état which shook The Party's very foundations.
The reality, clear to everyone who has enough brains to understand how the system works, was business as usual. The very moment when the Germans realized that the balance shifted in favor of the new world, they stepped back. Not a revolution, merely a natural development in the state of affairs. By the time the old NSDAP saluted our new master, nobody could longer imagine a Reich not dominated by America. The Fuehrer spoke flawless German, and following the decades he spent living and training at the very heart of Europa, it made no difference to most Germans that he was born on a faraway continent. The news reporters and the teachers told us that we are very fortunate to live in this era of magnificence, that we are lucky to be Anglo-Saxons, lucky to be Americans.
Hail Godwin.   

In the long run, all of it mattered only to the SS. Most Americans witnessed no change; only a construction boost in New Berlin, now aimed to carefully mirror the grandeur of the old-world Berlin. The fact that he belonged to a superior race made no damn difference either. He had no real choice here in Chicago. His life expectancy might be a little longer than the pathetic Slavs or Chinese, but if he carries on he'd surely die of exhaustion sooner or later.
We all die, Hans thought. The only difference is when.  He is only in his late twenties yet he felt half dead already. The irritating pains that he learned to accept will not get any better. Medications are a joke, creating a valuable illusion of care. Temporary comfort. He will drop dead, and everybody would gather and talk about how much of a good man he was, and how his hard work contributed to the well-being of mankind, how it was a necessary sacrifice, how he was a role model for everyone to remember. Then all his so-called friends would leave without shedding a tear and come back to their rotten lives, and he would be left there to rot with all the rest of the heroes.
He cannot go on; no, that is wrong. He can go on.
But he wouldn't go on.

The first thought of rebellion shook him to the core.
It was as if he felt the hands of the Gestapo grabbing him. He looked around; there was nobody there but him. Alone in the dirty, dark flat.

It was getting late and going outside at night was dangerous. The good American would kiss his wife and children and go to bad, anticipating another productive day. Staying on the streets late at night was asking for trouble.
But Hans did not have a wife, nor children. No mother or father. He had nobody. And that meant that nobody cared.
Except The Party. The Party always cared. So you were never truly alone, anywhere.

~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
I'd say you're off to a good start  ;) I've never read 1984 but it sounds like you've made a good opening for your story. But the most important thing to remember is that you are satisfied with your work.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
Wasn't there an episode of Sliders dedicated to this theme? ;)

Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 02:57:09 AM »
Gotta love all the mentions of Wolfenstein: The New Order. Not only was that a great example of a nazi dystopia, but it was one of my favorite modern shooters, right behind the new Doom.

Your opening sounds awesome, and it was great at setting a bleak, dark tone. I really enjoy the overall premise, as well. I hope you continue to write more, sounds like you could do very well with this!
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
...I just realized the pun of naming the Fuhrer after a certain Law.

You clever fuck.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 01:32:49 AM »
Oh snap. That's a coincidence! Really!
...But maybe it was a freudian thing.
~Charlie Sheen

Tags:

anything