Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274194 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #810 on: July 31, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
No prob bro. Do what ever you think will work in order to bring about the best in your game  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: July 31, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
No prob bro. Do what ever you think will work in order to bring about the best in your game  :)
Thanks dude, i appreciate it!  ;D
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #812 on: August 02, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »
I have a question for you guys.  One thing i've got a lot has been that with the diagonal whip it makes things a little too easy.  Should I keep that in engine or remove it?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #813 on: August 02, 2016, 05:18:20 PM »
I have a question for you guys.  One thing i've got a lot has been that with the diagonal whip it makes things a little too easy.  Should I keep that in engine or remove it?

Does the diagonal whip benefit the game beyond "killing enemies easier"? If it does, then don't remove the diagonal whip. In this case I suggest some type of nerfing in the mechanics themselves, such as making the diagonal whipping weaker than a straight-on whip, or adding enemies who can evade the diagonal whip better than others.

The main problem with diagonal whipping is exemplified mainly on Super Castlevania IV. Analyse that game to know the strengths and weaknesses of it. I can't spend much more time writting about this here, but I'll give you two points to think about (that you may or not have noticed by yourself):

1. The diagonal whipping in SCVIV is overpowered because most enemies are too easy to defeat.
2. The diagonal whipping bypasses most intelligent enemy placement.

Check your game about these and see if there is a real need to remove it.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #814 on: August 02, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »
I don't agree with the over powered whip gripe. Mainly because almost everyone complains that classic CV's are too difficult. Cv4 is manageable difficulty. I think it's balance is very nice.

You want a good game with  diagonal whipping?

Add more air-borne enemies and give them erratic patterns.

This is a contra hybrid right?

The diagonal whip seems like a non issue when there's a spread gun.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #815 on: August 02, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm glad the game is being updated , I like the diagonal whipping because that makes the game distinctive from anothers.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #816 on: August 02, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
If there is whip swinging in the game then you'll want to keep the diagonal strikes. It'll be best used for latching onto grapple points. Also I do agree with Belmontoya. Having a gun along-side the whip will make the diagonal attacks using the whip a non-issue.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #817 on: August 02, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys  ;D

Belmontoya;
nah man lol, that's DarkmanX's project i've been on him with, Vamprotector.  This is just my reboot of CV3.  To be honest, i only have grapple points at 1 section in the game so the relevance of the anchor points isn't large, it's definitely replaceable for sure. 

All valid points guys, the way my engine is coded this can easily be added or removed my ticking a box in my coding, so i'll go ahead and prep it leaving it in there for now and open this back up when it comes to the final beta testing.  It may not be a bad idea to be an extra option that you can enable/disable at the options menu.  8)

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #818 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:56 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys  ;D

Belmontoya;
nah man lol, that's DarkmanX's project i've been on him with, Vamprotector.  This is just my reboot of CV3.  To be honest, i only have grapple points at 1 section in the game so the relevance of the anchor points isn't large, it's definitely replaceable for sure. 

All valid points guys, the way my engine is coded this can easily be added or removed my ticking a box in my coding, so i'll go ahead and prep it leaving it in there for now and open this back up when it comes to the final beta testing.  It may not be a bad idea to be an extra option that you can enable/disable at the options menu.  8)

i'll be honest them grapple points kinda suck i had hell trying to get him to latch on to them and having to go threw a few in a row i died a lot because of how buggy they were it didn't feel like it add a lot to the game anyway so i'd vote to leave them out but if they were less buggy i wouldn't mind it just hate falling to my death because it didn't work right anyway i look forward to seeing more from your bad ass game it would had been real nice to beat it from start to end without having to skip any stages but for a beta it was bad ass  ;D

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #819 on: August 04, 2016, 06:06:03 AM »
i'll be honest them grapple points kinda suck i had hell trying to get him to latch on to them and having to go threw a few in a row i died a lot because of how buggy they were it didn't feel like it add a lot to the game anyway so i'd vote to leave them out but if they were less buggy i wouldn't mind it just hate falling to my death because it didn't work right anyway i look forward to seeing more from your bad ass game it would had been real nice to beat it from start to end without having to skip any stages but for a beta it was bad ass  ;D
hahaha all good points man. I've decided to drop the directional whips/anchor points. There's already plenty of extras to set it apart from any others. Thanks for the kind words mgfcortez, expect a very polished, game ready version next time around!   ;D

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #820 on: August 05, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
+1
looking forward to it i know a lot of work go's into it and its hard sometimes to stay at the point where you want to work on it like i'm Dubbing monkey king 2 now but lazy and don't feel like putting in the work right now my point is i understand how much work you do and thank you for so much work you do on it and thank you for such a great game!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #821 on: August 05, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »
looking forward to it i know a lot of work go's into it and its hard sometimes to stay at the point where you want to work on it like i'm Dubbing monkey king 2 now but lazy and don't feel like putting in the work right now my point is i understand how much work you do and thank you for so much work you do on it and thank you for such a great game!
As always dude, it's great to hear such positive feedback, especially when working on a game for the fun of it and totally free lol.  I've said it many times, statements like yours is what keeps me at it and wanting to make this the best i possibly can  8)

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #822 on: August 06, 2016, 03:56:46 AM »
i tried to make a game back in the day so i know how much work it takes most ppl have no clue how many hours go into such little things so thank you so much

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #823 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:55 PM »
After another long break (mainly due to work, shit's killin me  :rollseyes: ) i'm back on the game.  I've decided to try out making a custom engine from the ground up.  With the last version, i used a few built in extensions and a few 3rd party extensions and while they work, they have their issues.  At least for me they do lol.  So i had the day off, and im off this weekend  ;D and today i've made a fresh and very smooth custom engine that will DEFINITELY make the game play the way it should.  Since i'm rehashing a ton of the game, i was thinking; For Alucard, what would you all prefer?  His typical SOTN style with the sword, or should i stick with the fireballs from the original?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #824 on: October 14, 2016, 11:50:45 PM »
If this game's gonna be an authentic CVIII remake and not a re-imagining then just keep the fireballs, but make them stronger so it gives the player an excuse to use Alucard more. I almost never used Alucard because his attacks were weak as all hell. He was only good for becoming a bat and reaching those out-of-the-way places.

Tags: