Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Disney buys Star Wars  (Read 16476 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
I do know what to think: the next Star Wars and likely Indiana Jones movies will be loads better than what Lucas has shat out over the past decade plus, so it can't be a terrible change.

And hopefully Disney will give the original films the love they deserve and release the theatrical cut on Blu-ray and not go crazy on the noise reduction.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
+1
Oh I agree. It's just something doesn't feel right about it. I'm mostly concerned about the episode 7.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
"Episode VII" is prolly just the working title. It's prolly gonna be a complete REBOOT, calling it now

The Star Wars saga ended at VI, any & everything else that comes after that's not prequel stories is non-canon. The Sith are forever destroyed (despite what the Expanded Universe stories say), balance is finally restored to the Force, and there's absolutely nothing left to tell canon-wise (at least, according to Lucas himself. he is quoted as saying all the movies are essentially  about "the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, nothing more")

only other option is if they choose to adapt those certain Expanded Universe stories. I really can't see Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford returning to their roles (maybe as cameos), so "ep. VII" will likely feature all-new characters & leads, possibly descendants of Luke. Only familiar faces will prolly be C-3PO & R2, only because they're "immortal"

calling it now lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:49:52 PM by Crisis »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
"Episode VII" is prolly just the working title. It's prolly gonna be a complete REBOOT, calling it now

The Star Wars saga ended at VI, any & everything else that comes after that's not prequel stories is non-canon. The Sith are forever destroyed (despite what the Expanded Universe stories say), balance is finally restored to the Force, and there's absolutely nothing left to tell canon-wise (at least, according to Lucas himself)

only other option is if they choose to adapt those certain Expanded Universe stories. I really can't see Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford returning to their roles (maybe as cameos), so "ep. VII" will likely feature all-new characters & leads, possibly descendants of Luke. Only familiar faces will prolly be C-3PO & R2, only because they're "immortal"

calling it now lol

This is how I feel too.

To me Star Wars ended with episode 6. I couldn't get into the expanded universe but then again I'm not everyone.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping more for "Shadows of the Empire" but I doubt it...still, a release of the original theatrical version would be the bees knees.  ;D

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
+2
Aside from the early Timothy Zahn stories, I feel that most Star Wars stuff not done by Lucas is a bunch of crap that's quite often way off base. I'm still surprised there are some people who like the Extended Universe novels more than the movies, because those, more often than not, seem like something else entirely. Well, I guess that makes some sense, then, that there would be people attuned to that type of Star Wars and not the real one, because they're so different.

Ultimately, I think this is not good. There's really nothing else of great worth to tell in Star Wars unless it's a prequel of some sort. That's one problem with the EU. Let the galaxy take a break, goddamn. All these crises make everything seem utterly ridiculous and Han Solo has got to be about 85 years old now, still flying around in his ship going on adventures like a hotshot. He's like Ric Flair. The whole thing is just ungraceful.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:45:50 PM by Successor The Cruel »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
Wow  ???  Don't really know what to make of this...

Yeah having the original cast come back to reprise their roles is a little difficult now...or maybe not. The actors are still alive so all they would need to do is use computer graphics to bring their ages back to a more youthful look, like they did for Jeff Bridges' character; Kevin Flynn in TRON: Legacy. But I think a movie version of Knights of the Old Republic could also work. Those stories were five thousand years before the original Star Wars. Lots of room to work with.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
+1
They could make a movie WAY in the future. I would like to see some past stuff(before episode 1) or maybe even a side movie(not even refer it to as episode whatever) of the events between episodes 3 and 4.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
+1
The prequels pretty much ruined Star Wars for me, but it will be nice when Disney finally restores and releases the original theatrical cut that Lucas has let decay for the last decade plus. I'll finally be able to watch it on something other than VHS. As for the expanded universe I tried to get into it but kept getting spoiler'd really really badly so gave up. I know I wouldn't care for any of it that came out post 1999 anyway.

This was a smart move on Disney's part, between this and Marvel Comics they've completely made up the gap that they had in product appealing to boys, since with the "Disney Princess" line they've had the market on little girl's entertainment and merchandise cornered for a long time, but lost out on the male demographic. In fact, between Marvel and Star Wars they might have a stronger hold on the male than the female demographic now. "Disney, we own your childhood."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:43:57 PM by Ratty »

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
+1
Nope, Warner Bros. and Nickelodeon are safe from them for now.  8) :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
+1
The actors are still alive so all they would need to do is use computer graphics to bring their ages back to a more youthful look, like they did for Jeff Bridges' character; Kevin Flynn in TRON: Legacy.

Hokiest, shattiest special effects ever. I hope no one ever attempts that again.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
+3
Hokiest, shattiest special effects ever. I hope no one ever attempts that again.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
+1
Disney is an empire of evil they're slowly taking over everything related to childhood with their cute characters while subliminally brainwashing the younger generation to be their mindless slaves
seek the truth seek the truth
you did not hear that from me
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
+3
(click to show/hide)

And it bridged the generational gap!

Do you think they made up afterward and played a nice game of Bridge afterward?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: