Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Discussion of the first Hobbit film? (possible spoilerz)  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Re: Discussion of the first Hobbit film? (possible spoilerz)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
wasn't one of the major subplots in the books how Saruman was fucking up the environment and killing THE TREEEEES to power up his steampunk blitzkrieg army?

I don't know.  The power of the Ring seemed to have catastrophic effects on nature just fine.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:07:03 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
The ones concerned with the trees were the ents. Nature does not care since it is just a small portion of middle earth.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
Just got back from watching the Hobbit and I enjoyed it.

Though is it me or is the Dwarven Choir version of Misty Mountains Cold better than the one played for the end credits? Seriously, I could listen to those dwarves forever... *_*

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
The ones concerned with the trees were the ents. Nature does not care since it is just a small portion of middle earth.

There's also that whole thing about Minas Morgul being turned into a haunted wasteland due to Sauron's influence, and nothing being able to grow on the ground where the Witch-King died.

Hippie naturefags are in just as much danger as everyone else in LotR.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
Yeah that Dwarf hummed-tune was awesome. Such an awesome moment from the film, and it was in the book too. Just like how I could have imagined it being.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
And yeah, Tom helps the hobbits get armed. And it also had Old Man Willow! I wanted to see a hobbit get eaten by a tree.  :(  Tom was like the itinerant Buddhist monk of Middle Earth. .. Except he stays in one spot singing about his hot wife. ... Whatever. Either way, Tom doesn't not fit in, he's the balance to the chaos. They never really said if he was a Vala, Maia or just some super-powerful product left over from the creation of Middle Earth (at least I don't remember them ever saying what he was). The simple fact that he used song to save the hobbits suggests he may have been a Vala, since Valar were the ones whose music created Middle Earth, while the Istari never sang at all.

But no, we had to fill the whole of the LotR trilogy movies with scene after scene of Frodo looking like a gay hamster sitting inside a blender.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
There's also that whole thing about Minas Morgul being turned into a haunted wasteland due to Sauron's influence, and nothing being able to grow on the ground where the Witch-King died.

Hippie naturefags are in just as much danger as everyone else in LotR.

I think I read in a book that analyzes Tolkien's world stating that Tom would be the last to fall before the ring controls all. So he would not be in immediate danger as much as the other folks. But yes, he will be in danger if all other things to prevent the full rise of the ring fail.

And @TheouAegis: I am doubtful if Tom is a Vala, he is more likely a Maia but we may never know. After all, Tolkien did not mention what Tom really is. Are Vala allowed to meddle in middle earth in the third age? (my memory of these things  is failing)
I would also agree that the LOTR movies used too much Frodo looking (in my opinion) as a guy who desperately needs to do a number 2.

Tags:

anything