Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think soon enough robots would replace the lower class?  (Read 14903 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/ff-robots-will-take-our-jobs/all/

Here's an interesting discussion.

The third industrial revolution has two phases: In the first phase, machines replace humans in every manual labor men can or cannot do. This phase is almost complete. Big factories need much much less manual workers than they needed in the early 20th century. Robots are replacing humans in industry as well as agriculture. Not only in the First World, all around manual workers are needed less, and the ones that are needed are required to perform much more complicated tasks.
The second phase has computers replacing people's thinking. This phase has begun in the 70-80 and led to the loss of jobs for millions of people in America alone. This means we would need less engineers than we used to, as the calculations that computers can do become more complex.

Computers and robots are faster, stronger, and in some spheres smarter than most of us. It's not science fiction. It's happening all around you. But where is this leading us? Soon enough the lower class, performing simple tasks of service and labor will no longer be needed. Is this the final nail in the coffin of Marx's theory of Revolution of the proletariat, as there will no longer be a proletariat in the future?
It is strange to think about it as we are only in the middle of the Third Revolution. What would be its conclusion?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Mathias_The_Resolute

• The Collector of old Castlevanias
  • Hunter in Training
  • Old school Castlevania fan,
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Do you think soon enough robots would replace the lower class?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
+1
There would DEFINITELY be a lot of people on strike and the Church and Critics would most definitely criticise the Computers taking over. Personally I would be more comfortable on a Human making decisions and sharing ideas then a Computer honestly.
What is a man?! a miserable little pile of secrets! but enough talk! HAVE AT YOU BELMONT!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
+2
When I read the title that is what I imagined:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:12:09 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Lone Wolf

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
When I read the title that is what I imagined:

Man... LOL XD

=============================

Man, i don't think robots would be absoluterly taking over, if you stop to think about it for a liiittle bit second.

Humans made computers for their own benefits, right?

(Oh man, this is starting to look like the Wall-E movie... -___-)

Think about it, just one little thing over there: who's responsible for managing and programming the computers guidelines?
Yes, humans.

Who's responsible for editing the computers commands systems?
Alright, humans.

And who's responsible for repairing the fucking robot ass whenever it's fucking broken and out of function?
Again, humans.

The men made these things to help them in their daily tasks. There's no way of letting these things take over the world unless you're lazy enough to not lift up your ass from the easy chair and just depend on a computer.
So yeah, people. I guess these guys are right:

Just so it doesn't prevent you from eating chocolate yet. You just need to moderate it and we'll be good. ;)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
I don't think it would happen. Well, maybe except for Japan, since they are totally in love with robots.

However, for the rest of the world, it wouldn't happen. Look at the 3rd world (ahem, underdeveloped nations), they have a bulk of their population as lower class, and replacing them with robots would bring about another round of civil war.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
If everything becomes totally automated, we're gonna end up like the movie Idiocracy, I just know it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »
I would be down with teaming up with a law like police robot when I become a criminologist or lawyer or maybe even a political scientist (hope that's the correct term)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:11:24 AM »
If everything becomes totally automated, we're gonna end up like the movie Idiocracy, I just know it.

McDonald's special I can see it now or starbucks  :P Not good....
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Mathias_The_Resolute

• The Collector of old Castlevanias
  • Hunter in Training
  • Old school Castlevania fan,
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:47:21 AM »
McDonald's special I can see it now or starbucks  :P Not good....
True True.... lol "Get the Oil-Cola drink for a limited time!" "ladies and automobots, I introduce the BIG Mchince topped with computer parts and oil sauce perfecto for robotkind all over!" "hey there robotgirls. Try out the Mocha-Hydrogen drink mixed with mild uranium and light oil today at starbucks!"
What is a man?! a miserable little pile of secrets! but enough talk! HAVE AT YOU BELMONT!

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:50:07 AM »
Before any of this happens, DARPA will have undoubtedly finished developing their bi-pedal walking tanks.

No I'm not referencing Metal Gear. Those things are closer to reality than we all think.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
I don't think there's ever going to be a full-on replacement of manual labor by machines. I can see machines doing the very dangerous and hazardous work that humans do not want to do, but for other types of manual labor? I don't think so.

However, for the rest of the world, it wouldn't happen. Look at the 3rd world (ahem, underdeveloped nations), they have a bulk of their population as lower class, and replacing them with robots would bring about another round of civil war.

I agree with this. Attempting to replace all human labor with machines especially in third world countries is a very BIG mistake. The civilian populous wouldn't tolerate it and would rise up against their governments. In fact they'd do just about anything in order to be heard and that includes causing terrorism. Machines should only be created to help benefit humanity, not replace it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
There have been a few blogs I wandered across during my meanderings through the internet that brought up this question. I can't recall them ATM, but a couple things to consider:

1: Even as technology advances, it also becomes easier to use. Computers today are a good example--back in the 80s, they were complex and unwieldy, but now pretty much any fool can successfully navigate windows, icons, etc. on a desktop. Even as more jobs become automated, it's not entirely certain new ones for unskilled labor won't open up. For instance, at the moment programming a robot to flip burgers may be a difficult task, but in the future programming may be so easy/simplified that even a burger-flipper can do it.

2: Even if we assume robots will take all our jerbs, that may mean we're on the cusp of advancing to a post-scarcity society, which is essentially a Holy Grail or Utopia. I doubt that'll happen, but it would be nice if it did--where nobody has to work anymore and everyone has what they want because robots build and maintain everything. +joy

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
2: Even if we assume robots will take all our jerbs, that may mean we're on the cusp of advancing to a post-scarcity society, which is essentially a Holy Grail or Utopia. I doubt that'll happen, but it would be nice if it did--where nobody has to work anymore and everyone has what they want because robots build and maintain everything. +joy

This.

Well, maybe not exactly this, but I feel that it's quite neo-marxistic to assume that robots would steal people's jobs and this would infinitely increase unemployment until an anti-robot revolution would take place. Society will probably have an invisible hand of labor similar to the invisible hand of the markets. As old jobs would die out, new ones would be born. An example is the entertainment industry. Who could imagine that today's entertainment industry would be so wide and prosperous? I'm talking about the music, sports, cinema industries, etc. People today have more time for entertainment than centuries ago, which means more professional entertainers make a living out of it.

The second neo-marxistic assumption is Shiroi's and X's. While it is true that the Third World does not develop as fast as the first and second, eventually the labor in it would undergo the same processes that happened in the First. Neo-Marxist theory says that the lower classes did not disappear- they simply were replaced by workers in other countries. In the 19th century the workers of the 1st world was exploited by its capitalists, in the 21st century it's the 3rd world that is exploited by the 1st.
Perhaps that is true. But the third world DOES develop. Countries like China, India and Brazil serve as an example. So unless you support the Dependency Theory (The third world depends on the first, who prevents it from developing. Some more Marxism for you) you can assume even though it takes time, machines would replace workers in the third world as well, which would assist to balance the worlds as the result of free trade- as Liberal Economy theory assumes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:55:59 PM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
If everybody threatened to break the tycoons' robot workers, the government would back down and side with the people. It would be not worthwhile for a country to expend the resources to put down an uprising of the lower and middle class all for some guy who has a few robots. Then the government would play the Hero Card and trump everyone by enslaving the masses under martial law under the heavy fist of a robot army armed with weapons that could turn a house into sawdust within seconds.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Tags:

anything