Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How would you do a castlevania tv series ?  (Read 14979 times)

Offline agross

• Awards
How would you do a castlevania tv series ?
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
How can a major animation studio make a possible Castlevania
Animated Tv Series ?

Offline Battler Ushiromiya

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Better than Phoenix Wright.
    • Awards
Re: How would you do a castlevania tv series ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
In Reply To #1

Anime? In a heartbeat. Studio IG would make a CastleVania anime you couldn't shake a whip at.

American? Much harder. Depends on who makes it- If it's a company like whoever made Wolverine and the X-Men, then sure. If it's a company like 4Kids, then it'll be dead before it ever hits the air. Unless the kiddies are stupider than I give them credit for...

Now, I think a live-action CastleVania TV show could be very interesting, depending on who it's following. If it covers the 1999 battle with young Julius, We'd have a hit IMHO.
_______________________________________ ___________

Magically immune, and loving it!

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
How can a major animation studio make a possible Castlevania
Animated Tv Series ?

Castlevania is far too epic to fit the framework of your typical animated series --a feature film would make much more sense, but I don't know if any of Hollywood's writers, directors, or producers are fit for the job.  I wouldn't mind animation per se, but I think it would be marvelous to see a big-budget live-action flick if the right kind of people were put in charge.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »
In Reply To #3

I think Guillermo Del Toro is capable of doing a cv movie justice..

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
In Reply To #4

I agree. Either that or get Sam Rami and do it ala Army of Darkness.

As far as a show its perfectly doable look what fuckin Joss Whedon did with a write off movie like Buffy. I wasnt a particular fan of it but it cant be denied it was one hell of a show that launched a quite successful spin off.

In the hands of someone that knows what theyre doin anythin can be done well and be a success.

As for how Id do it... Id expound on the idea of CV2 and have the whole of transylvania with multiple locations etc for an epic quest to either stop drac from bein rezzed which of course fails and then a season or 2 could deal with that or gatherin the relics to rez him and kill him "for good" It wouldnt be Simon itd have to be a totally new cast but itd HAVE to be a Belmont. I wouldnt really want it animated Id prefer live action and Id really want it western made instead of some random anime shit japan spits out constantly

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
In Reply To #5

You say that like there's no good anime in Japan... -_-;;

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:11:54 AM »
A Castlevania Japanese Anime show would make me sad. I'd say go live action, but the special effects of a TV show would be too bad for Castlevania. It really would require a movie.

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
+1
I don't see why everyone hates the idea of a Castlevania anime so much. I mean, I understand to a degree with DoS and PoR, but Rondo was done in an Anime style as well, and it was one of the best in the series.

Honestly, I think if it's not something aimed at children like Naruto, it could be pretty good. Hellsing-style Castlevania would rock.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »
In Reply To #7

Well, then, you have your wish, its supposedly in the works!
You make me sad.

Anime is all good by me. But my ideal Castlevania tv series would definitely be non-existent.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
I would make an anime.  I would divide it into various short seasons (one for each cannon game) and add some filler content in an attempt to give the series some more substance and fill in some of the gaps in the story as well as make it a little more coherant so that there aren't that many plot holes.  The only problem is that new games are always being added in between other games as well as on both ends of the series.  Thus, everytime a new game comes out, a new potential plot hole would appear in an tv show that exists. and there in lies the problem.  So, if a tv show is ever made, it should not be made until the videogame series is over and no more games are going to be made.  Otherwise, there would be way too many plot holes and thus the series could potentially be completely in coherent.
Behold my power and tremble

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:16 AM »
A live-action Castlevania series would probably suck. It would most likely end up really dorky and crappy like.. Robin Hood or Xena the Warrior Princess.

Personally I like the acting and the cut-scenes from Curse of Darkness so my suggestion would be for Konami to animate it. Though I would prefer a movie instead of a tv-series. Or perhaps a triology.

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Animated would definitely be the way to go. Yoshiaki Kawajiri would be my top pick for production director at least in charge the first season which would of course be focused on the beginning of the Belmont's struggle against the man who would become the lord of darkness. i.e. Lament of Innocence. A full season of episodes could finally flesh out characters like Sarah Tarantoul, Mathias Cronqvist, hell maybe even Joachim. With Kawajiri spearheading the project, at the very least the mood and atmosphere of the games will be realized beautifully. Not to mention the drama between the characters would be expertly handled and also balanced out nicely with the action setpieces.

The first season would be a lead-in to follow up series, each taken up by a selection of other directors and production houses. But I would definitely say let Kawajiri return to helm both Curse of Darkness and Symphony of the Night. I would even go so far as to make the two stand-alone anime films released between their various interlinking story arcs in the series. For example, have an epic CV III season to lead into the Curse movie, and likewise a Dracula X season to lead into Symphony. Hell, keep the seasons up with enough enthusiasm from both fans and anime studios, we might even see some truly worthy gaiden adaptations of Circle of the Moon, Legacy of Darkness, Order of Ecclesia maybe a proper vehicle for Sonia to finally make her voice heard. I would draw the line at the 1999 battle though... Whether it was done or not, be it the final end-all season or a movie, I'd still opt for the door to be left open to the future of Castlevania and not touch the Sorrow titles.

....Although, if they had to be done, I would say package them as a 2-in-1 DVD movie, maybe with a third part added to show the final tragic outcome in the struggle to contain the spirit of the dark lord within Soma Cruz.

At any rate, those are my thoughts on the subject. Apart from that, refrain from cheesy or overly dramatic dialogue and keep any romantic subplots between existing characters to a minimum. Include recognizable monsters, locations, weapons, abilities, and evil servants from the games and pay tribute to the more recognizable themes from CV's rich musical catalogue. And if dubbing must be done, please let either Sony or ADV handle the English voice casting. - At least get some unknowns who put some serious effort into their roles, will ya'?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:52:16 AM by Mobius »

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »
I would make it a family sitcom, call it "The Munsters" and then cancel it because it is unfunny and a cheap knock-off of the Addams Family.

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
A live-action Castlevania series would probably suck. It would most likely end up really dorky and crappy like.. Robin Hood or Xena the Warrior Princess.
Well, if they make it like Supernatural, then a Live Action Castlevania could work...

Personally I like the acting and the cut-scenes from Curse of Darkness so my suggestion would be for Konami to animate it. Though I would prefer a movie instead of a tv-series. Or perhaps a triology.
For the time being, I think it'd be a good idea to avoid a Castlevania movie. Let's wait until Paul Anderson and Uwe Boll retire/die/are thrown in prison for massacring beloved video game franchises.

In Reply To #13

If they don't get ADV or Sony, they should at least get Johnny Bosch or Chris Patton to do the leads, considering they've actually got skill voice acting. Fuck Brad Swaile, he's a one-trick pony who always sounds the same.

Tags:

anything