Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Confirmation- Koji Igarashi is still at konami (Sadly??)  (Read 28735 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: Confirmation- Koji Igarashi is still at konami (Sadly??)
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2009, 01:00:23 AM »
Hey, don't knock Blackmore.  He was awesome in a quirky way and one of the most refreshing bosses in a long time. 

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:38 AM »
In Reply To #90

Then name some of the other, that they are better, because making a game like OoE for the DS with such low hardware power and only 256 thousands colors display and a very low resolution, i don't think is something that everyone can make and OoE has few reuse enemies and all the bosses are new and challenging. Playing OoE for the first time, i felt that feeling that i was having, when i was playing the old school Castlevanias. I got that feeling, because of the high difficulty it has.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »
Hey, don't knock Blackmore.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline UnManuel

• Castlevania has changed.
  • Hunter in Training
  • guaramberri
    • UnManuel.com
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
In Reply To #93

I agree. I've always had problems understanding the Blackmore sprite. He kind of reminds me from HoD, where pixel art as a whole is a bloody mess. Aside from that, the battle is AWESOME. I personally think the boss battles from OoE are the game's highest point.

Sprite inconsistency is an issue that exists as far as SotN. This happens mainly because of recycling sprites from game to game, and every game has its own artistic approach.

For instance, the Dhurons, Slogra & Gaibon are sprites from Super Castlevania IV, the bloody skeletons are from the X68000 game, the normal skeletons, medusa heads and many others are from Rondo of Blood, and so on.

The enemies native to SotN commonly fall into the multi-joint type (Diplocephalus, Gurkha, Galamoth), or the large, highly detailed frame by frame ones (Owl Knights, Guardians, Snipers of Goth, Skull Lords).

At this point I think they already know about the sprite issues but the pixel artists involved are not looking for consistency anymore. In Portrait of Ruin, as an example, we have in one hand Lerajie (harpies with rifles) and in the other Zacchino (the guy who loves you), probable made by different artists.

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »
Actually SOTN is pretty consistent for the most part; even the imported sprites from SCIV still look pretty nice alongside all the other Rondo/new ones. It looks good enough that it isn't really distracting at all, and most of the old sprites were revamped with extra frames and the like.

Whereas in OoE, I don't think they're even trying anymore - there's no way you can justify that kind of inconsistency.

And hey, HoD's sprites were actually pretty decent for the most part. The backgrounds were much better, but there were still some nice sprites in there, and the color usage and shading isn't even comparable to how awful blackmore is. The only real 'drawback' for HoD is that they're all bright and colorful, but ultimately that was a necessity, given the medium.

-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Tags:

anything