Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Professional Opinion about Lords of Shadow's Musical Score  (Read 19327 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Professional Opinion about Lords of Shadow's Musical Score
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »
I was surprised that this boss theme wasn't in the offical soundtrack, it was pretty epic and it sounded like something I would hear out of one the Conan movies.

Mechanical Monstrosity: Castlevania Lords of Shadow

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »
Yea the battle themes were really good and I loved that they sounded like something out of Conan. It does sound rather generic at first but it is slowly growing on me. I just mean the battle themes of course, the other songs aside from a few need to be slightly influenced by the levels Gabriel is exploring. Another thing is that certain levels like the machine tower don't have their own theme (blasphemy) it shares it with the maze gardens and a few other levels. I'm not saying that they have to follow the old way and make level-based music but they shouldn't share music between chapters. If I'm in Agharta I don't want to be reminded of the castle.

Notable mentions: Waterfalls of Agharta, Belmont's theme, The Dead Bog, The Swamp Troll, Mechanical Monstrosity, Maze Gardens, The Evil Butcher, Carmilla, Final Confrontation, BGM125, and the song that plays during chapter 4-1 (can't find the name :'()
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:26:04 AM by StriderKumori »

Offline default2k

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
I cant really tell each soundtrack from each other, they are not that memorable. :-\
The DS vanias had more beatiful scores IMO.
To each their own i guess. :P

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »
Professional opinion? I liked the soundtrack, it was good. Like many others though, I definitely think it needed a few more tracks. I even bought the L Edition with the soundtrack. It seems a bit odd that the PSX and PS2 Vanias have more songs by at least 10 tracks.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »
Mind pointing me toward a more representative track?

Because the one mentioned here was definitely more "generic sounding" than anything I've heard out of LoS.

I'm shocked you didn't like that one

How about:

U-TIC Facility -Xenosaga Episode I OST-

Xenosaga Episode I - The Miracle

Xenosaga Episode I - Zarathustra

Xenosaga 1 - Omega

Mitsuda is awesome

Bah! Chiptune and Mitsuda bashing... What is the world coming to???

The world must be coming to an end...
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »
I'm not "insulting" synths per se, I'm insulting the sound capabilities of the consoles such games were released on. Some of those songs became immortal once given room in other environments (once again Bloody Tears started on the NES and just listen to that guy I linked playing it on the piano) but while the tune is the same, the result is much different.

HoD's music isn't my favourite in the saga (I'm a classicvania guy) but it sounds like very good music... played by a guy blowing a leaf and hammering on a keyboard that only has 2 keys. The fault isn't in the music, but when you're working on a platform that is so limited in terms of musical reproduction, you're stuck with working on songs that hold their own thanks to the tune.
The genius in Castlevania's case was that Konami put a lot of resources in composing and they managed to get a consistent track of excellent tunes. But the NES/GBA's sound capabilities remain crap.
Despite IGA's lame excuse that the focus on graphics strained the engine so much that the sound capabilities were degraded, I think it was purposely done in HoD's case. I feel that in HoD, it takes into account the limitations and even relies on them. If anything, you're actually underestimating the sound capabilities. And besides that, HoD's music is pretty distinct even when compared to Metroidvania titles anyway. It manages to be complex, dynamic, yet still catchy and hummable. I would group it up with SCVIV with the more unique soundtracks in the series. I personally find there's a beauty in limitations. Every arrangement of HoD music I found just pales to the original song.

My problem with the Araujo tracks is that they feel extremely excessive to me. Araujo likes to use a variety of techniques and layers but I don't think they hold up to form good individual songs. I am just not feeling the way a lot of the songs develop or how his use of techniques contribute to the identity of a track. Laura's Mercy is good, but it helps that it's short. But in the longer tracks, they start to meander to me. So there may be parts I like in a song, but as a whole, I don't think those parts build to form a cohesive song. There needs to be more in pulling the song together. Otherwise, they just sound disjointed to me and I can't enjoy the soundtrack. I also have problems with the mixing, because there really isn't that clear of a order or priority with the instruments, and despite all the proficient techniques employed, it fails to be distinctive. So it all just fails on what I would consider a good soundtrack.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
I personally thought that HoD's soundtrack was just pure garbage. There are a couple of memorable tunes, like Juste's theme, the bad epilogue, the chapel, and the Dracula fight, but everything else was both nondistinctive and offensive to the ears. That boss theme that plays when you fight Maxim is one of the ABSOLUTE WORST songs I've ever heard in any game.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
Even though HoD suffers from horrible boss fights the game has other redeeming qualities(Aesthetically) like the music for example. The only truly bad song in HoD is "Luminescent caverns", The rest of the songs are really impressive imo. But this is coming from a person who found AoS ost to be really bland, idk maybe I'm just strange?  ;D

I do have to agree with Thernz, other than a couple songs the rest seem boring.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
What are you guys talking about? Max Slimer & the Merchant's Theme are among the best boss fight/song in any CV game.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
I'll sell at my place
BEST SONG.

Oh yeah, HoD has some pretty atrocious boss themes and boring themes. I mainly talked about it because otherwise, I thought some of its compositions were the most unique and daring with how it played around with dissonance and all the layering in the songs despite its substandard instrument quality.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:44:39 PM by thernz »

Offline DragonsAndCarpetBags

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
I supose Lords of Shadow's soundtrack is good from a technical point of view, but each Castlevania game has something different to say (well....most of them) that makes it unique, whether you like it or not.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
I'm shocked you didn't like that one

How about:

U-TIC Facility -Xenosaga Episode I OST-

Xenosaga Episode I - The Miracle

Xenosaga Episode I - Zarathustra

Xenosaga 1 - Omega

Mitsuda is awesome

The world must be coming to an end...

All those videos make me think "Uematsu could have done it better"

Honesty, Mitsuda has yet to trump his score on Chrono Trigger.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »

I actually agree. Chrono Trigger's probably my favorite Mitsuda soundtrack, with Xenogears following close after. I'm really not a fan of his New Age-style of Eastern meets Celtic as seen in Chrono Cross(and some of his other, more recent stuff). Reminds me of what Sting did in the 90s. Though, as Chrono Trigger is concerned, what little Uematsu did for that, those songs WERE well integrated(the song that places in the Manolia Cathedral, the Denadoro Mountains, as well as the music everytime you try to open a magically sealed door).

Though, listing Mitsuda's work on Xenosaga, I'm surprised nobody put up the song that plays during the "Ma Belle Peche" scene. That's probably the only song I found memorable in the first Xenosaga game.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »

Uematsu is good, but most of his orchestral pieces are actually arranged by Shiro Hamaguchi, because he admits to not being very good at using them, while Mitsuda still transitioned from synths to an orchestra perfectly.

And the soundtrack for Chrono Trigger is good, but I actually prefer Xenogears.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Tags: