Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM  (Read 50280 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
I agree with you that the article doesn't say "MS is developing the next 3DSVANIA" but it talks about internal (MS) sources talking about DLC, sequel AND they say that there's a 3DS CV coming, we all know Cox WANTS to make a 2D CV, we all know Konami teams don't know each other's work (So they can't talk about IGAVanias) and the article is assuring it.. it's a rumor, but it may be..

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
Ahasverus we just had someone from MS say that they're not making CV 3DS in this very thread.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
He didn't deny the rumor...

Edit: HOLY FACEPALM BATMAN!!

Let our beloved Zobek express my feelings right now:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:54:00 PM by Ahasverus »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »

Since the outsorcing of Castlevania already started (along with every other Konami franchise ever) I wouldn't mind seeing many different teams having a go at the series. I wonder how the dudes and dudettes of Chair Entertainment/Epic Games (resposible for Shadow Complex) would handle a 3DS Metroidvania. They already said Shadow Complex was inspired by both Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid, so they should know what they're doing. Shadow Complex did a lot of things right, especially the level design which was fab, and the visuals. The game was a bit too big and backtracking was sometimes tedious and drawn out. Still, it was way more ambitious than any of the recent 2D Castlevanias. And Metroids too, for that matter.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
I think this is the first time I've heard anyone directly call IGA's games cartoonish. Sure, some have some anime artwork to them..but cartoonish? I didn't know Dracula was invading Dream Land.
I talked about actual ingame sprites.
They've become looking like they were from some random cartoon starting form AOS and DS trilogy only made it worse, what with the fat black outline almost for everything (ironically except for some sprites from SOTN / ROB) and bright colours.
In short - yes, his game could be called cartoonish not only in the artwork.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
ironically, the sotn and rob sprites sported very colorful and saturated palettes. rondo richter has the most saturated colors from all sprites probably!

though yeah, the newer sprite animations and outlines were pretty horrible. their colors were worse too, though not for being more colorful.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
Saturaterd =/= Cartoonish.
Big eyes, ridiculous expressions and generic style = Cartoonish.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
I've always found them to be rather colorful, but not so much cartoonish. Except for the artwork in the games from AOS to POR. I'm glad OOE put a stop to that style.....for now.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
I was under the impression that the reason why the DS games appear "cartoonish" was because Konami wanted to appeal to a younger fanbase, IGA confirmed this is one of his many interviews from back then. With LoS the target audience has obviously changed again. So in the end it's Konami's fault for making these decisions & holding the series back for so long, not a single individual.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
I would like to see Castlevania 3DS use colorful sprites/tiles like ReBirth, but a majority of that game had a lot of reused assets from SotN like all Castlevanias since SotN.

Hell, do we even know if sprites will be used in any games on the 3DS? I can see them still using sprites but having 3D backgrounds/stages.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
I think what we really need is a 3DS title with sprites, but with Vanillaware-level detail. I drool just thinking about it.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
I hope it's true.

Be it by IGA or Mercurysteam, I need's my Castlevania on the go.

This. I'd vastly prefer a 2D game, but if they're going to try for a 3D game, more power to them. I had a blast with LoS.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
ironically, the sotn and rob sprites sported very colorful and saturated palettes.
I talked also about backgorunds.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Sumac loves the cartoon look don't lie

Tags:

anything