Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM  (Read 50294 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »
I talked also about backgorunds.
You should probably list examples. A lot of them weren't as architecturally sophisticated as SoTN but hardly any of them were in the range of cartoon-y. I mean, in structure, proportion, and detail they lacked the sort of caricature cartoons pull as well. Issues of outlining were only relegated to the sprites and that seemed more like a bad attempt to separate parts of the sprite rather than actually trying to be cartoon-y.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
no handheld 3D games please...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
I'll take a 2D, HD, hand-drawn classic CV side-scroller for a 3DS grand opening.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
Sumac loves the cartoon look don't lie
Crisis loves nonsense.  ::)

in structure, proportion, and detail they lacked the sort of caricature cartoons pull as well
Those backgrounds has nothing to do with caricature.
I meant that they are generally brighter, simplier and didn't convey the same "dark, elegant mood" (or "dark / disturbed mood") as backgrounds from previous games, IMHO.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »
Oh okay.
I don't really think the simplification of details really lended to a more cartoonish appearance, just a duller plainer one. iirc, Dawn of Sorrow's color palettes for its backgrounds were fairly muted compared to previous entries, even sporting that garish straight gray area beneath the Condemned Tower. I think Portrait of Ruin was really the only one that sported a colorful range in its background. I agree that they weren't as good at portraying the intended mood, I just don't see them as cartoon-y.

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I'll take a 2D, HD, hand-drawn classic CV side-scroller for a 3DS grand opening.

-X

Amen.
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
Amen.
Keep dreaming, IGA will NEVER do that.

Everything comes full circle

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
Nobody said IGA has to do it  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:53:10 PM by whitedragon_nall »

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »
I'll take a 2D, HD, hand-drawn classic CV side-scroller for a 3DS grand opening

amusingly so far it's only Mercury steam that has shown the potential to be able to pull something like that off.
I recall Iga mentioning that he had tried it once before but found it either too costly or too difficult didn't he?, where as Mercury steam threw in impressive (although rough) hand drawn animations for what is essentially only a small part of their game.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
That's why they were rough and only for a small part of the game rather than say a whole of the game.
I'm pretty sure it could be done though. It would just be very time-consuming, considering the situations of stuff like KOFXII and etc. I would much prefer a traditional animation style like KOF than the marionette tweening style of Odin Sphere anyway.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

I'm starving for Castlevania news. Lords of Shadow has only been out for roughly two months and I'm feeling restless already! :(
I want a surprise trailer NOW. And I certainly don't want it to end with "Coming 2014" or some ridiculous BS like that...

*takes deep breath*

Ok, I realize I'm not being realistic. We will not have a new game until earliest next summer, and even that is being overly optimistic. Unless IGA (or someone else) has been secretly working on a new Castlevania all this time. Maybe this is a good time to go play some other games...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:11 AM »
I believe IGA mentioned he was working on several projects but I can't remember if they were Castlevania projects. ;__;     

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
Keep dreaming, IGA will NEVER do that.

Of course he won't. But a girl can dream, can't she?
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »
IGA won't do it because he might succeed where he's always failed. ::)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Hanniballistic

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »
I don't think I have ever been in a thread here that didn't have IGA-bashing in it.  It's almost like it has to be in every thread until it becomes popular opinion out of fear of being bashed yourself.  That all said, I want IGA to stick with the handheld games.  I'm sorry that some of you think handheld gaming is a lesser form of gaming, but I still feel the same with big or little screens.  If the game is good enough, I don't think about the size of the image.  

I don't like the idea of MercurySteam doing a handheld title.  They did fine with a console, and they need to finish their own little story they created and not waste time fiddling with the 3DS.

Tags: