Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SoTN's the Tyrfing Sword  (Read 18067 times)

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
SoTN's the Tyrfing Sword
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
Long ages ago, when I had a PS2, and had SoTN, I heard somewhere, some way, that there was a means of uncursing the 'cursed sword of darkness', Tyrfing.

True or False?

If its true, how?

If its true, what is the effect and power of the uncursed Tyrfing?

This information wouldn't be considered spoiler would it? I mean the game came out in the 90s and all.

Note that this question applies to both the NA port of the game and the original Japan port of the game.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:12:46 PM by Grim_Creeper »
Nani?! An animu site with no hentai? Blaaasphemy!
Burn the witch in the name of LoL!

-Lulzy Lulzerton Esq, wizard of ounces

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
I just looked it up. No dice dude. It says the only "useful" dark sword in the game is the Mormegil.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: SoTN's the Tyrfing Sword
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
Would be a nice change for a fan game based on SoTN though, wouldn't it?

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
False. Nothing is written in Japanese official guide book.

This sword is used to enjoy the difficulty.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
Well turning in a different direction, could it work as a side quest of a SoTN fan game? By that I mean Alucard goes off to room number XXX and uses Item Z on game element Y. Cinematic. Sword usable as a weapon now because its no longer cursed. How strong it would be or what it would do I couldn't say, I can say that Tyrfing is from Nordic mythology and belongs to Tyr. However he of course looses it ultimately in a story thats to long to quote in full here.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
Maybe upon entering the confessional, instead of the ghost priest attacking you he would uncurse the Tyrfing, but only if you're wearing certain equipment or a specific jewel?

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
Perhaps the reason it was cursed is because it was used to kill the Priest and by seeing it being wielded against the one who killed him, the conditions of the curse are validated. That way theres no need to edit his sprite at all. He appears and sits down, makes the holy sign, cue sound effect, cue message that Tyrfing is no longer cursed. This would also negate the need to write in a new item.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
Well turning in a different direction, could it work as a side quest of a SoTN fan game? By that I mean Alucard goes off to room number XXX and uses Item Z on game element Y. Cinematic. Sword usable as a weapon now because its no longer cursed.

This sounds like the curse sword 1 from D&D Shadow over Mystara. You find the first cursed sword, swing it about 45 to 50 times (yes it hurts you unless you're the priest character) and the cursed sword morphs into the most powerful sword in the game.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
Interestingly, though I play D&D, I've never actually played that game all the way through, its sheer chance that this has come about.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »
Long ages ago, when I had a PS2, and had SoTN, I heard somewhere, some way, that there was a means of uncursing the 'cursed sword of darkness', Tyrfing.

True or False?

If its true, how?

If its true, what is the effect and power of the uncursed Tyrfing?
The Tyrfing can't be uncursed, It's a Dark Elemental Sword, not really useful but maybe if you want to make your game more challenging you can play with it, But if you need a Dark Elemental Sword you will prefer to get the Morgemil in the Catacombs after defeating Granfaloon.

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
Not to start a flame war or be an ass, but I am already aware that the Tyrfing is a weak essentially useless weapon. I was simply seeking to confirm whether or not it can be uncursed.

Another possible fan-made way to uncurse it is to kill 572 enemies with it. (ko-na-mi).

The morgemil is a good sword. Honestly though I farm a certain enemy and get the Mourneblade as soon as I can. Or the Crissaegrim.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »

Another possible fan-made way to uncurse it is to kill 572 enemies with it. (ko-na-mi).

wha?

5 is go
7 is nana (so it sort of works)
and 2 is ni

so all you'd get is a go na mi. ::) Am I missing something?

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
Yeah theres some number combination that equals Konami and I don't remember what it is right now.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
It's actually 573.

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
What I was trying to say is that like in a fan game if you kill 573 enemies (only the killing strike), with the Tyrfing sword (which is edited so that it does function but only does a small amount of damage), the sword becomes uncursed.

Tags:

anything