Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is Dracula XX really that bad?  (Read 18055 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 11:02:12 AM »
Many of them were tedious, ESPECIALLY dracula(though nowhere near as hard as CV3 drac).

I played CV3 on an emulator twice this last week (I have the actual game cart, one of the few times I'm actually allowed to have the ROM  ;D ), and granted I did play with save states. And granted I used them quite often, but mostly on the stair climbing stages (forget Medusa heads, I hate those freaking gargoyles with shields) or when trying to kill bosses in 2 hits (holy water is just cheap, seriously, kill a boss with just 2 hearts!). But I found Dracula's battle to be definitely tedious but definitely not hard. You stand in close to him, hit him a few times, dodge the first 2 walls of fire, stand right next one of the walls and keep hitting Dracula, then dodge the 3rd wall of fire and keep hitting Dracula until the fires go down, then quickly run away while he teleports. After phase, hurl axes or holy water at the floating head thing and keep moving back and forth and jumping to throw off its movement pattern. I think Sypha is the easiest to kill this with unless you have the axe, maybe, but the first two heads will die quickly if you can chuck a couple holy waters under it. Then in his third form, you just have to watch the lasers and either jump early to throw them off or jump after they fire. There seems to be no good character for this one, although I'm sure the axe would be good to have, and Vlad is just cheap if you can get there with level 2 or level 3 fireballs -- stand in the corner and keep attacking.

But I've always hated platforming boss battles. Always felt it showed a lack of creativity in the bosses. "What? You can't make a boss that can kill me so you make a room that can?"
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ridureyu

• A boomerang to the head cooled my jets.
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Is Dracula XX really that bad?
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
with CV3 Drac, I do best with Simon and Grant. With Grant, I want the axe and triple shot, and then his second two forms die within seconds.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
This has been quite the refreshing topic to read.  It's always good when there's a good debate going here, with both sides giving valid, well articulated points and keeping things civil.  I don't have much of an opinion on either Dracula XX or Rondo.  Neither are among my favorites in the series, Rondo because I've played it to death, and Dracula XX because I usually get frustrated halfway through and shut it down.  I do need to play through Dracula XX again though, and soon.  Rondo certainly has more work, more detail, more polish, and more everything when compared to Dracula XX.  But I really prefer the synths used in the Dracula XX versions, even though Rondo's are higher quality samples.  And just the fact that it's more classic Castlevania for me to play is enough to make me fire it up once in awhile.

Puwexil, welcome to the CVDF.  I've really enjoyed reading your posts and I hope you stick around.

Then in his third form, you just have to watch the lasers and either jump early to throw them off or jump after they fire. There seems to be no good character for this one, although I'm sure the axe would be good to have, and Vlad is just cheap if you can get there with level 2 or level 3 fireballs -- stand in the corner and keep attacking.
I've always used Trevor with the Axe, and no other helper characters, for all three forms of Drac.  Save up your axes for the third form.  Keep the timing of the lasers first on your mind, and use the platforms to get high enough up to hit Drac's head with an axe.  When he shoots his lasers, you'll probably have to jump down to the ground to avoid them.  Sometimes you can jump straight up just as the lasers are "warming up" so that they target the space in the air over your head and shoot there when you've landed, instead of shooting right at you.  Do this and you'll have hit him without taking any damage yourself.  Rinse, repeat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:26:16 AM by PFG9000 »

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 11:44:42 AM »
Yeah, what PGF9000 said.  I usually svae up enough hearts (about 40 or 50) so I can spam both of Dracula's second forms without a worry, though.  Triple Shot helps a lot, too.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
with CV3 Drac, I do best with Simon and Grant.

Don't you mean 'Trevor' and Grant?

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
Nope. Simon.  The KOnami Code activates Simon mode, didn't you know that?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
I really don't want to come off as being the 'village idiot' but...it does?!?

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
I really don't want to come off as being the 'village idiot' but...it does?!?

-X
Nop it doesn't  :P :trolled:

Everything comes full circle

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »
Yeah I was just throwing that in there ;D But I did play a CVIII Simon hack a while ago so I guess Ridureyu is half right.

-X

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
Drac XX is alright. It's far more playable than, say, CVA, though that game has the advantage of an original and awesome soundtrack.

I did discover that the way to beat Dracula easily is Axe spam.

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Yeah, I was being silly.  I felt embarrassed about screwing up Trevor's name (like I did with Soleiyu), so I made a patently obvious joke about it.

I mean, come on, Simon in CVIII would be about as probably as getting to play as Julius, Yoko, AND Alucard in the Soma games!

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Something I never noticed before.  You know how in Rondo, stage 1 mirrors one of the towns from CV2?  Well, in DX, stage 1 mirrors stage one in Castlevania 3.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
Something I never noticed before.  You know how in Rondo, stage 1 mirrors one of the towns from CV2?  Well, in DX, stage 1 mirrors stage one in Castlevania 3.

Yeah I always thought that was awesome
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Stage 5 from DraculaXX also heavily resembles Block 9 from CVIII

The beginning area with the staircase that opens up into the courtyard with the eagles that drop the fleamen is the same as CVIII's only in CVIII it's harpies holding up the hunchbacks.

VS.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:23:25 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »
I noticed that too right off the bat. It was kinda neat to see them incorporate an older level into a newer game.

-X

Tags: