Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is Dracula XX really that bad?  (Read 18009 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
Stage 5 from DraculaXX also heavily resembles Block 9 from CVIII

The beginning area with the staircase that opens up into the courtyard with the eagles that drop the fleamen is the same as CVIII's only in CVIII it's harpies holding up the hunchbacks.
Wow.  That always seemed familiar, but I never made the connection.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
Not only that but they use the only tune not used in Rondo unless you're trying to play the game without the disk and just your memory card.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
Actually that tune IS used in the extra stage (5') but only after you beat the regular game.
But I get what you're saying. Opus 13 is great. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »
Actually that tune IS used in the extra stage (5')

I forgot about that  :-[

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
I'm playing Rondo right now for the first time. I've played Drac X a million times before, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with Rondo. Way more background detail than Drac X. There's a skeleton that you can whip out of his chair, people impaled on pikes, and the pirate ship has an engine that you can destroy. I don't think boat engines existed at that point, but its still fun. Did anyone else try to kill the guy in the background whose dropping the boulders down the stairs? whats that story with that guy?

Drac X was good, and def worth playing. I replayed it so many times because its the kind of game you can easily get into. I disagree with haters, I think the music is great. Just don't expect any bells and whistles like an engaging storyline, cut-scenes, or cool background stuff. Its just fun to play.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
It's not a bad game, but the changes are enough that if they had taken it a step further they could have called it a different game or a prequel. The art work is ok, but the palette is way too pastel for a CV game most of the time. I agree it's too 'stiff' like The Adventure Rebirth was.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
Haven't put enough time into SNES Dracula X. Only really found out about it after getting the PSP Dracula X Chronicles, and seeing a lot of people saying that it would have been nice to see that on there as well.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Haven't put enough time into SNES Dracula X. Only really found out about it after getting the PSP Dracula X Chronicles, and seeing a lot of people saying that it would have been nice to see that on there as well.

I was thinking this exact thought as well. It would've made the DXC fully complete even if a lot of people out there don't think so.

-X

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:02 AM »
I get the feeling that Konami kinda' wants to bury that game.  Unfortunate, if so.  I would never say it's better than Rondo, but it's got stuff to offer.  That Dracula battle is righteous.

Offline Pneophen

• Ok. We'll move.
    • Awards
Re: Is Dracula XX really that bad?
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Overall, I like the game, although I do wonder how close to Rondo it could have been if they had more rom space to work with.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
I am not sure who said it, but in theory Rondo could have been put on the SNES cart in it's entirety, save the music.

Even if it's not the case I think they deliberately changed stuff in the game, not because of the space issues, but more likely because they wanted to create something new.

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
I believe a number of changes were made anyways because Konami had to (or wanted to) remove a number of Rondo's religious elements for the Nintendo version.

It does make me wonder, though......how much DX was a necessary redesign as opposed to perhaps a genuine attempt to just do something different and/or better.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:38:04 PM by Renonsgoods »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »
Overall, I like the game, although I do wonder how close to Rondo it could have been if they had more rom space to work with.

There is plenty of room to have a proper Rondo port put on the SNES. The only real thing they would need to deal with is the music and sound files. Those files alone take up a lot of room on a single cartage. But I believe that the SNES was capable of handling it. After all, take a look at how much the stuck on the Genesis cartage of Contra: Hard corps. That beast was packed! Also SCV4 comes very close to having the same amount of levels featured in Rondo. SCV4 had eleven stages while Rondo had thirteen. Only just 2 extra levels over it's predecessor. This is probably just one of the many different reasons why we got Dracula X and not Rondo. But at least we can get Rondo now  :)

-X

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
I like the Dracula XX versions of Bloodlines, Bloody Tears & Cemetary better then Rondo's, but thats about it.

Offline Ridureyu

• A boomerang to the head cooled my jets.
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Bloodlines was worse when it came to clumsily attempting to cut religion out of Castlevania.

"It's a MAGIC MIRROR, yeah! That's the ticket!"

Tags:

anything