Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: INTERVIEW: Yamane talks Inspiration, Lords of Shadow Music and more!  (Read 14055 times)

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: INTERVIEW: Yamane talks Inspiration, Lords of Shadow Music and more!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
Good interview. I've always liked hearing from composers to get their take on certain things. Can't wait to hear her work on Skull Girls!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
Without the whole "epic" orchestra to back it up, most of LoS music is hollow and forgettable. So it's completely ok to call it bad and not lose any sleep over it.
Cant tell if trolling. . .

LoS score is ALL about epic orchestration, and nothing else.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
Cant tell if trolling. . .

LoS score is ALL about epic orchestration, and nothing else.

I think he meant that if it was done without the orchestra aka On Paper, it's empty...

I'm bound to agree, without the orchestra and the "epic" feel, it would have been mediocre

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
Great interview. Thanks for the find and the translation! :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
LoS music is okay at best and doesn't fit with a Castlevania game especially after 25 years of beautiful scores before LoS. Can you hum any LoS music? I sure can't.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
LoS music is okay at best and doesn't fit with a Castlevania game especially after 25 years of beautiful scores before LoS. Can you hum any LoS music? I sure can't.

I can hum besieged village. But yeah I get your point.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 07:41:11 AM »
I do, lots of times, especially the battle themes, they are awesome

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »

I hum the music used during the fight with the Black Knight, it's pretty easy.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »
I find no difficulty humming it's themes. They might be epic orchestra pieces, but their structure is nothing too complex to hum. I often find myself humming waterfalls of Agharta.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
I think he meant that if it was done without the orchestra aka On Paper, it's empty...

I'm bound to agree, without the orchestra and the "epic" feel, it would have been mediocre

Pretty much yeah.

Take away all the smoke and mirrors of a symphony orchestra and it has little to offer. Hardly a melody to remember after 30 minutes. No stage or challenge you can associate it with from there on.

Then take an older CV song, like Cross Your Heart, Wicked Child or even goddamn Dwelling of Doom and spice them with the musical resources LoS got and it'll only sound better.

That is what we here call "climbing into a tree arse first".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:52:52 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

Belmont's Theme without a doubt. Also the music can probably fit if I had the ability I would try and do a 8,16, or 32 remix yet I can't and for some reason it sound's like it could fit with belmont's revenge.

Pretty much yeah.

Take away all the smoke and mirrors of a symphony orchestra and it has little to offer. Hardly a melody to remember after 30 minutes. No stage or challenge you can associate it with from there on.

Then take an older CV song, like Cross Your Heart, Wicked Child or even goddamn Dwelling of Doom and spice them with the musical resources LoS got and it'll only sound better.

That is what we here call "climbing into a tree arse first".

Castlevania- The Vampire Killer (Inspired by Lords of Shadow)

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Gabriel's Theme (FAN-MADE!!!!!)

Deforestation - Super Castlevania IV 'Forest of Monsters' cover by Thunder Thouin

Still sounds good to me even with all the fancy things but then again what do I know.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:39:37 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
Well.. Maybe it's because I only played through the game once. LoS is such a bastard child atrocity of a Castlevania game that I can't bear to play through it a second time. I'd rather go watch some Lord of the Rings or Titanic. Yeah. Titanic.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
Still sounds good to me even with all the fancy things but then again what do I know.

Am I mistaken or are none of those remixes actual LoS tracks? I mean, my point was that oldschool CV music only improves when you give it the same technical quality and instruments LoS OST got.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Belmont's Theme without a doubt. Also the music can probably fit if I had the ability I would try and do a 8,16, or 32 remix yet I can't and for some reason it sound's like it could fit with belmont's revenge.

Castlevania- The Vampire Killer (Inspired by Lords of Shadow)

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Gabriel's Theme (FAN-MADE!!!!!)

Deforestation - Super Castlevania IV 'Forest of Monsters' cover by Thunder Thouin

That's the approach LoS should have went with invtead of changing most of the classic songs into completely unfamiliar things.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
Am I mistaken or are none of those remixes actual LoS tracks? I mean, my point was that oldschool CV music only improves when you give it the same technical quality and instruments LoS OST got.

Right and all I wanted to do was show how some examples of how it could be. None of them are LoS songs but still remixes in the style of LoS none the less.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: