Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56695 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Well this was unexpected. Perhaps he is not that ready to let the LoS series die?

NL: Where does Castlevania go from here? I know you've previously stated that MercurySteam will move onto other projects, but if Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 perform as well as the original Lords of Shadow did, surely Konami will want to continue the relationship? MercurySteam could make the Castlevania series its own...

DC: Actually, this conversation has come up many times. Right now, we are committed to bringing this story to a close and then we want to try something new. Would we come back if their was the demand? It's hard to answer right now; on the one hand we don't want to be known as "the Castlevania studio", we have big ambitions but we also know that there are a large number of people who love the Lords of Shadow series. My head says "No, time to move on" but my heart says otherwise. Perhaps it's time for a new perspective from a new creative team?

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/interview_reinventing_castlevania_for_a_new_handheld_generation

What do you think? if MoF and LoS2 sell well, do you expect LoS to continue under Cox's wing by another studio?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Well if you like something or like making money would you want it to end?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I think it's smart for Cox & co. to bow out while they're still ahead. This is a terrible example since they're NOTHING alike, but it's like asking Watanabe if he'd want to return to making Cowboy Bebop.

If this developers followed their hearts instead of their heads, then they'd all be out of business by now!

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
The most interesting is the last question of the interview. I understand that it highly secure remix of old titles, speaks as if he had already discussed this with Konami ..
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
It would be a good way to troll all the people who are not fond of the Lords of Shadow series.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
If MS are having the financial troubles they seem to be having, then even if Cox DOESNT want to be "the Castlevania guy", he may have no choice if Konami wants more CV from MS, because well, that's where the money is, and MS needs it. Of course, that doesn't mean CoX will automatically be at the helm... He is Konami, not MS. Very possible for him to move on and another person put in charge of a post LoS2 CV MS. Of course if they did make MS make more CV, then Cox would probably return despite not wanting to be associated with the series like IGA was, simply because, well for one, consistency- two, because he likes Castlevania and can't pass it up.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I do like Lords of Shadow, but eh... after two more games I'd rather see something else.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I want LoS2 on WiiU before I ask for another LoS game.

I would rather see a new team take on Castlevania, no point in a new LoS game if LoS2 is supposed to end it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:39:04 AM by OSM »

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Some people enjoyed the Lords of Shadows saga a lot, and they had their time, some of us didn't enjoy it and we've already waited too much.
It's time to go, Mercury Steam.
Let another studio (Platinum, WayForward or Konami itself) make a new Castlevania.
Be it ClassicVania, MetroidVania, a remake, or something new, but with the look and music of what I like (and many, many, many fans).
Especially the music, since Mirror of Fate looks pretty OK (though it's no Rondo of Blood), but the music stays the same as in LoS.

I'd personally want one of these options:

1 - The return of IGA.
2 - A game like Bloodrayne: Betrayal by WayForward.
3 - A game like Bayonetta by Platinum.
4 - A new game by another studio, provided they don't follow the LoS line.
5 - A remake.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
MoF and LoS2 look promising so I'm good if MS continues with the series. So long as the whole team is on the same page; I'd hate for the quality of the games to suffer because the spirit of enthusiasm is no longer there.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Makes me wonder if Konami is still dangling the Contra carrot in front of MS/Cox, assuming they ever explicitly were.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Makes me wonder if Konami is still dangling the Contra carrot in front of MS/Cox, assuming they ever explicitly were.

I do not know, but imagine a "Contra" with these 3D effects and those graphics. But without moving the camera, it would be a camera in a fixed position, the "Contra" has lots of action and the camera can not distract.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I'd personally want one of these options:

1 - The return of IGA.
2 - A game like Bloodrayne: Betrayal by WayForward.
3 - A game like Bayonetta by Platinum.
4 - A new game by another studio, provided they don't follow the LoS line.
5 - A remake.
IMO I would rather IGA not return. He's done his part, and a pretty big part at that. And it's obviously he was tired with Castlevania. I would rather see someone new. (that means no MS either)
Bloodrayne betrayal was neat, but severely lacking. Once I beat it I have not touched it. It also falls into the pitfall of locking you in a room to beat up enemies before progressing. Except there are limited combos so it gets severely repetitive. That said, I would not mind seeing Wayforward make a CV game.
I doubt a new studio would follow the LoS timeline. It is open and close, and was done by MS/CoX. If a new studio was given the reigns, they are more likely to make an installment in the classic canon or make a new one altogether.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
When I was playing the demo from MoF, I couldn't help but think that it was a shame that no follow ups to this game would be made.  I would welcome a second 3DS game in the same vein, just so they can perfect the format.  After that, I'd be ready for a new take on the series (or retro take). 

Tags: