Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56692 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
To say the truth I have that kind of preference too, I like their ideas. Like all these enemies that come from various cultures and places, even Yeti is there. What I mean is that they know how to put some jokes and stay serious at the same time. Even Pachislot III catchs more my attention than these new console games.
Who are you? did you get a name change or was my mind violated by a Dark priest?

Everything comes full circle

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
To sum up my own personal thoughts on the matter:

1.) Three games are enough for LoS and its philosophy on the series.

2.) Do NOT hand over Contra to Cox/MS unless they prove beforehand that they can make something true to the series. (Contra is neither Gears of War nor Vanquish--it's faster, weirder, and more free-flowing and over-the-top than either).

3.) Do NOT hand over Castlevania to Platinum (arena combo-fest) or From Software (slow-motion grind).

4.) Make something in the vein of Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness.

5.) Make a super-sized new 2D game in the style of Super Castlevania IV.

6.) Make Belmont's Revenge Rebirth for WiiWare

7.) Release Castlevania: Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps on Wii Virtual Console POST-HASTE.

8.) If #7 is impossible, at least release a Castlevania Collection.

EXTRA.) Everyone who said it was right. Something needs to be done to get back Castlevania's signature MUSIC!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
So, everything that Japanese developers did was perfect?  ;)

No, but that's not what we're saying.   

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I wouldn't want Cox to continue but only because I'd want to see someone else try, with a preferable different take on the Castlevania lore.  I like the IGA era of games, but it dragged on for years and I wouldn't want to see a permanent return to it.  I wouldn't mind a game or two being done/remade in the tradition Castlevania style but I wouldn't to see a permanent return to that either. 

Maybe I don't know, maybe another evolution of the series, sorta like what SotN was.  With new Belmonts and maybe new vamps but with Dracula as the main big bad. I dunno.  :P

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Totally agree, so far, only japanese seem to get it.
I'm not talking about IGA, I'm talking about every single Castlevania game from 1986 to 2010
Somebody need to do a reality check.
Judgement was "getting it right"? DOS, POR, HD? Please...  :-X

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
To be fair HD (Harmony of Despair) was the highest-selling downloadable game on X-Box Live for quite a while, and DoS/PoR while having a questionable stories still had decent-good gameplay and graphics/music that was well-received by the general audience. The only game that totally bombed in sales was Judgment and the opinion amongst us CV enthusiasts is somewhat universal, however nearly 99% of us still agree that it had an excellent soundtrack.

If the games were doing so bad sales-wise then they would've stopped making them after AoS.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Somebody need to do a reality check.
Judgement was "getting it right"? DOS, POR, HD? Please...  :-X
Let's see...
Checking reality...

Portrait of Ruin is my favourite videogame, so I don't think I need to explain a lot why I like it.
But I'll try. It's my favourite soundtrack, I love Charlotte and the gameplay, with her spells and everything. And for an anime and Castlevania fan, it was the perfect combination.
Maybe some people shouldn't forget that amongst Castlevania fans there are a lot of girls, a lot of anime fans, a lot of people who likes baroque music and 80's music, and all that, in the japanese games is present. Always.
I played more than 70 hours to get EVERYTHING in the game. Something I usually do with all Metroidvanias, but here I did it with all characters, even 1000% with Maria, Axe Armor and Sisters (even Nest of Evil with Axe Armor, which was hard, hard, hard).

Dawn of Sorrow? I didn't like the story too much, but, though I'm relatively young, there's not a single Castlevania game I didn't play, and if I recall it right, story was never the strong point of the saga, and fans never cared. To me, just tell me that I'm this hero who needs to beat this vampire, throw me in the castle with the looks and music that I want, and that's perfect for me, I don't ask for more.
There's some levels I didn't like a lot, but near the end there are some levels that are still today amongst my favourites.
And the soundtrack, of course... Condemned Tower, Cursed Clock Tower, The Pinnacle, Pitch Black Intrusion...

Judgment? Yeah, not what I want in a Castlevania game, but I still play it from time to time, and since it came out I have a new soundtrack that I always listen.
And, whether people like the game or not, it looks like Castlevania, it sounds like Castlevania, and there's no denying it.

Harmony of Despair... though a cheap rehash of recent graphics, it was a nice idea and it was entertaining enough for me to replay it over and over until I got a lot of items and finished it with all the characters. Plus, I really liked the DLCs, I found them very creative and with a lot of fan service.
And let's not forget about the soundtrack (I mean, the whole soundtrack). Amazing remixes and some new tracks at the same level of some classic CV tunes.
As always, a new soundtrack to listen and enjoy very often.

And what about the rest of japanese games? Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Symphony of the Night, Legacy of Darkness, the PS2 games with their wonderful aesthetic and soundtracks, the most recent ones The Adventure: Rebirth and Order of Eclessia... and, of course, the whole ClassicVania era, with the Game Boy trilogy, the NES trilogy, and all of them, from Castlevania I and Haunted Castle to the most recent games, including games like Bloodlines or Super Castlevania IV, and even the rare ones like Vampire Killer, X68000 or Rondo of Blood...
So, yes, so far, japanese seem the be the only ones to get it right.

In the "less enjoyable" japanese games (though, to me, until LoS there was no such thing as a Castlevania game that I don't enjoy), worst case scenario is a game to play from time to time and a new soundtrack to listen forever.
And that's A LOT MORE than what I can say about certain recent titles.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:09:19 PM by Pfil »
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
^^THAT^^

Who are you? did you get a name change or was my mind violated by a Dark priest?

Why, you are going to post that? xD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:21:37 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
If the games were doing so bad sales-wise then they would've stopped making them after AoS.
I am not talking about sales here, otherwise all Castlevania fans should consider LOS as the best Castlevania ever and that's that.
I am talking about quality of those games as Castlevanias or specifically "good and atmospheric Castlevanias", which neither of those games were, IMO.

Portrait of Ruin is my favourite videogame, so I don't think I need to explain a lot why I like it.
Well, usually, if you like something there should be a reason for it, so explanation kind of neccessary.

Maybe some people shouldn't forget that amongst Castlevania fans there are a lot of girls, a lot of anime fans, a lot of people who likes baroque music and 80's music, and all that, in the japanese games is present. Always.
I don't have anything particular against anime and I watched few series. ROB was OK in style department, since it was more serious. But starting with DOS Castlevania entered the union not with just anime, but with the kiddish anime, badly executed plots with cliche and stupid dialogues and recycling of gameplay elements and multiple sprites.
As for me POR is embodiement of many things, that killed IGAvanias and maybe sprite based 'Vanias for good. Kiddish and out of place art style. Horribly executed plot, with stupid dialogues and cliche personalities. Not to say that Castlevanias before it were very original in that department, but at least there were some attempts to make things a bit more different. POR completely abandons it and presents everything as "generic teenagers goes to kill Dracula and some lolis; oh, and there is some drama (that will go in 2 minutes), but no mind it - have fun killing flying bulldogs and throwing pies in the skeletons". While admittely POR have more to do with the Castlevania, rather than both Sorrow games, which were mostly Castlevanias in name only, this is clearly shows how misguided attempt to cater to the little kids and anime lovers turned once great series into farce of the lowest quality. It's even more parody of the Castlevania game, then Kid Dracula and this game was intend as parody!! I've never played it, but I have some sort of suspicion, that Kid Dracula was more competently crafted than POR. Also, gameplay was mediocre. Dual system was barely used and while playing as Charlotte was fun and, probably, the only unquestionable good thing about this game, everything else about gameplay was not good. Soundtrack was mediocre as well. Not only melodies were not anything special, also arrangement sucked and killed whatever enjoyinment I could have from soundtrack. In short, POR for me is as much sacrilige to Castlevania series, like LOS for some other people.

Dawn of Sorrow? I didn't like the story too much, but, though I'm relatively young, there's not a single Castlevania game I didn't play, and if I recall it right, story was never the strong point of the saga, and fans never cared. To me, just tell me that I'm this hero who needs to beat this vampire, throw me in the castle with the looks and music that I want, and that's perfect for me, I don't ask for more.
I played all Castlevania games, save for 5, I think.
As for the story, if fans didn't have big care for it (that is actually not true exactly, since quite a lot of people cared about story), it doesn't mean, that developers, should turn it into shit.
From Castlevania game I ask it to be a Castlevania. DOS was a very good and competent game, with very solid gameplay, but as Castlevania - it's failed on its face. And story was horrible.

And, whether people like the game or not, it looks like Castlevania, it sounds like Castlevania, and there's no denying it.
If that looks like it belongs to Castlevania game or that thing or THIS, then you must have even more liberal tastes, then I am, and that's quite an accomplishment.
Castlevania should not sound like J-Rock fest to me, and should not be plagued with WTF / weird / insane designs. CVJ is atrocious experiment, that went wrong on every frontier possible and not very much Castlevania. As with DOS I give it a credit for maybe being a good game (though I haven't played it), but as Castlevania...no, just no.

Harmony of Despair... though a cheap rehash of recent graphics, it was a nice idea
Those two statements shouldn't be in the same sentence, IMO.

So, yes, so far, japanese seem the be the only ones to get it right.
This statement is invalid. For one simple reason. Aside from LOS, MOF and cancelled Ressurection, Westerners have never worked with Castlevania series before.
Three attempts out of 35. One never saw the light of day, one become the best selling Castlevania ever, another...will see.
So, statistically there is not enough data, to say, that Japanese make best Castlevanias. If anything it could atributed only to the pre-SOTN era, where there was only one truly atrocious game - Castlevania: The Adventure.
After SOTN games had enough flaws. SOTN was mess in many respects, CV64 / LOD weren't polished enough, HOD was outright horrible, AOS wasn't Castlevania, LOI was boring, COD was even worse, though I can't say it for myself, since I haven't played it. So, no. Japanese developers don't get Castlevania right 100% of time.
Best Regards.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I am talking about quality of those games as Castlevanias or specifically "good and atmospheric Castlevanias", which neither of those games were, IMO.

That's entirely subjective, and either way those games are still highly regarded for their "atmosphere & aesthetic" even outside this CV community, which places people like you in the minority.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Judgment? Yeah, not what I want in a Castlevania game, but I still play it from time to time, and since it came out I have a new soundtrack that I always listen.
Uhh,

yeah. No.

I am not talking about sales here, otherwise all Castlevania fans should consider LOS as the best Castlevania ever and that's that.
I liked LoS quite a bit. I felt it was far more Castlevania than PoR or DoS. (or Judgement for that matter, but it's not too hard to be a better CV than Judgement) I liked the story, while it had it's fair share of cliches and such, I thought it was original and interesting. It was well presented too. I liked the gameplay and atmosphere too. Real neat. The intro stage of the village under siege by Werewolves was the greatest thing ever. If I had to cite a weakness, it's that it tries to incorporate too much derivative stuff, which ends up feeling very blatant. But on that note- derivative does not mean bad, and I feel that despite it feeling too obvious, it was still done well. I really had no problem with the Titan fights. They do a great job of conveying the massive scale of them and the fight. The second titan fight is by far the best of the three atmospherically and presentationwise, despite the Last one being the actual better of the three gameplaywise.

As far as music goes, I liked LoS music. Im a sucker for large orchestral pieces. And while yeah, I would have loved to have a few more traditional themes  done in orchestral style, (like the CV1 Dracula fight, The Waterfall, and The Courtyard) I liked what we got. If I had to cite a weakness in the music though, it would not be the music itself, but the repetitiveness of the soundtrack. I have no problem with using the music as atmosphere rather than stage by stage themes, but It could have stood to have a few more tracks to use. maybe specific fighting themes for wach of the three lands. A more "LoTR" as some would say- battle theme for the Land of the Lycans, which is more high fatasy, a more dark gothic theme for the Land of the Vampires, and a more... Um, something, for the land of the dead.

I don't have anything particular against anime and I watched few series. ROB was OK in style department, since it was more serious. But starting with DOS Castlevania entered the union not with just anime, but with the kiddish anime, badly executed plots with cliche and stupid dialogues and recycling of gameplay elements and multiple sprites.
As for me POR is embodiement of many things, that killed IGAvanias and maybe sprite based 'Vanias for good. Kiddish and out of place art style. Horribly executed plot, with stupid dialogues and cliche personalities. Not to say that Castlevanias before it were very original in that department, but at least there were some attempts to make things a bit more different. POR completely abandons it and presents everything as "generic teenagers goes to kill Dracula and some lolis; oh, and there is some drama (that will go in 2 minutes), but no mind it - have fun killing flying bulldogs and throwing pies in the skeletons". While admittely POR have more to do with the Castlevania, rather than both Sorrow games, which were mostly Castlevanias in name only, this is clearly shows how misguided attempt to cater to the little kids and anime lovers turned once great series into farce of the lowest quality. It's even more parody of the Castlevania game, then Kid Dracula and this game was intend as parody!! I've never played it, but I have some sort of suspicion, that Kid Dracula was more competently crafted than POR. Also, gameplay was mediocre. Dual system was barely used and while playing as Charlotte was fun and, probably, the only unquestionable good thing about this game, everything else about gameplay was not good. Soundtrack was mediocre as well. Not only melodies were not anything special, also arrangement sucked and killed whatever enjoyinment I could have from soundtrack. In short, POR for me is as much sacrilige to Castlevania series, like LOS for some other people.
I hate PoR more than DoS even. I'm a story buff, so I really love story in my games. And as a sequel to Bloodlines, PoR DEFINITELY fails hard to me. It's probably the worst and most blatant offender in the "IGA develops gimmicks first and story later" category, and I'll gladly take more LoS over something like that again. As far as the sorrow games go, they are definitely very removed from Castlevania, though they follow the Alucard style gameplay from SoTN, so they fit a bit better there. I can vouch for AoS, since it's story, despite a few blunders and things that get silly when you think about them too much- was actually pretty good, and as an "end point" to the timeline, I felt worked pretty well. The gameplay and atmosphere was brilliant too. I mean, every game after SoTN tried to be "the next SoTN" but IMO, AoS is the only TRUE successor to SoTN. Then came DoS, which was pretty unnecessary, and started the Anime deal. With a silly saturday morning anime story, and I dunno, despite being on a better system, i feel like it visually and soundwise, really pales in comparison to AoS.

Tl;DR, I agree with Your point on Sacrilege.
Well, as far as the IDEA of a "multiplayer Castlevania" goes. the idea was a nice idea. The execution was what was dreadful. At least the art was nice. :P

This statement is invalid. For one simple reason. Aside from LOS, MOF and cancelled Ressurection, Westerners have never worked with Castlevania series before.
Three attempts out of 35. One never saw the light of day, one become the best selling Castlevania ever, another...will see.
So, statistically there is not enough data, to say, that Japanese make best Castlevanias. If anything it could atributed only to the pre-SOTN era, where there was only one truly atrocious game - Castlevania: The Adventure.
After SOTN games had enough flaws. SOTN was mess in many respects, CV64 / LOD weren't polished enough, HOD was outright horrible, AOS wasn't Castlevania, LOI was boring, COD was even worse, though I can't say it for myself, since I haven't played it. So, no. Japanese developers don't get Castlevania right 100% of time.
Gonna have to agree. Can't really judge "Westerners don't get Castlevania" when the West has barely made that many, and the ones we have are from the same studio.

That's entirely subjective, and either way those games are still highly regarded for their "atmosphere & aesthetic" even outside this CV community, which places people like you in the minority.
Everything is subjecting when it comes to CV.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I think Judgment was designed to fail from day one.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Lords of Shadow was aesthetically pleasing & atmospheric, yes, but (and this is just my opinion, so, ya know...sue me) it felt NOTHING like CV to me. I'm not saying it was a bad game at all- I had adequate amounts of happygoodsuperfuntime, especially considering I got my copy for $10 last spring when my local K-Mart went under- it just certainly did not feel like CV to me. Judgment felt more so that than LoS did actually (polish those pitchforks & light up them torches, it's "Angry Villager Mob" time). Does that mean I think Judgment was a good game? No, not at all. But when I played it, I never forgot I was playing a CV game. With LoS, it was like, "Haha, yeah! Killing enemies with kick ass whip strike combos! It's fun & easy on the eyes! But...something's missing...". Again, just my own personal CV experience/perspective.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:15:08 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
I don't have a problem with orchestral music... where it belongs.
I am a fan of Hans Zimmer's old works (not what he does today)... Gladiator, King Arthur, Pirates 3.
I really like it, and I always listen to many of his soundtracks, and another soundtracks (Solomon Kane, for example, or John Williams' works for the Star Wars saga).
But I don't want orchestral music in Castlevania. In games like Knights of the Temple it's OK, but Castlevania is another thing.
Also, Oscar Araujo works aren't even good as soundtracks, they are terribly generic, boring, repetitive and unispired.
And what he did with MS games so far is almost the same he did for other games and movies.
I don't consider it to be CV music, but I don't even consider it good as Hollywood music.

As I said, Lament of Innocence orchestral tracks were brilliant, and they got the point of CV music right (of course they did... it was Michiru Yamane).
But with LoS, I can't find anything, and I never will.

Lords of Shadow was aesthetically pleasing & atmospheric, yes, but (and this is just my opinion, so, ya know...sue me) it felt NOTHING like CV to me. I'm not saying it was a bad game at all, I had adequate amounts of happygoodsuperfuntime (especially considering I got my copy for $10 last spring when my local K-Mart went under); it just certainly did not feel like CV to me. Judgment felt more so that than LoS did actually (polish those pitchforks & light up them torches, it's "Angry Villager Mob" time). Does that mean I think Judgment was a good game? No, not at all. But when I played it, I never forgot I was playing a CV game. With LoS, it was like, "Haha, yeah! Killing enemies with kick ass whip strike combos! It's fun & easy on the eyes! But...something's missing...". Again, just my own personal CV experience/perspective.
I think the same. I don't consider Judgment a good game, as I said, it's not what I expect in a Castlevania game.
Yeah, some characters designs are ridiculous, and I always thought it, but at least the stages look like Castlevania, and the music is undoubtedly Castlevania. Those two things are two things I can't say about LoS.
About "something is missing" in LoS... yes, the main thing that is missing is the Castlevania characteristic music. And a lot of other stuff...
But mostly the music. I tried playing it listening to good CV soundtracks, and... something is still missing, but it helped me a lot to make believe I was playing a CV game.

That's a matter of personal opinion, I consider Judgment a bad game with some bad character designs, that looks like Castlevania (just look at the environments and compare them to MS games and you will see what I'm talking about) and has a wonderful soundtrack. I consider Dawn of Sorrow a good Castlevania, although the weakest MetroidVania, with a very good soundtrack too. And Portrait of Ruin, I already explained what I personally think.

Well, usually, if you like something there should be a reason for it, so explanation kind of neccessary.
Which I did.

I played all Castlevania games, save for 5, I think.
As for the story, if fans didn't have big care for it (that is actually not true exactly, since quite a lot of people cared about story), it doesn't mean, that developers, should turn it into shit.
From Castlevania game I ask it to be a Castlevania. DOS was a very good and competent game, with very solid gameplay, but as Castlevania - it's failed on its face. And story was horrible.
It's easy for me to understand that, if you consider the Chupacabras or Baba Yaga from LoS as things that belong in Castlevania, that you don't consider this...
http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=mVpsBZ7CLN9GQM&tbnid=ojGHrR34jzu2XM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcastlevania.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FLocations_Index_(Dawn_of_Sorrow)&ei=1Ek1UYnnBOnq0QGHooHwDg&psig=AFQjCNGR45U3I91TLZ_XO_iHmt_3BRMp8Q&ust=1362533204170258
to be Castlevania...
or this...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUnDMRpFPqnvcjA7R8cn_NN095dAcYCwz TO3JUGkVc9sIi0FcREA
or this...
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu7nIPMyZERG0rTt7KrW7bHTGAHA-h5NCntbpLuyW-Ggei8iOjFw
Because that's exactly how I want a CV to look (and sound, by the way).

It was a very good idea that was poorly executed, but it's understandable because the budget was very low and they didn't were given much time to polish details.
But the game is all the time Castlevania. Looks like it, sounds like it, plays like it, and I'd rather prefer 5 games like this in a row to be released than another "oh so serious" game with "oh so epic" music, that to me and many people, have CV only in name.

If that looks like it belongs to Castlevania game or that thing or THIS, then you must have even more liberal tastes, then I am, and that's quite an accomplishment.
Castlevania should not sound like J-Rock fest to me, and should not be plagued with WTF / weird / insane designs. CVJ is atrocious experiment, that went wrong on every frontier possible and not very much Castlevania. As with DOS I give it a credit for maybe being a good game (though I haven't played it), but as Castlevania...no, just no.
Character design was awful but still looked like Castlevania to me, with some exceptions... though it looked more like Death Note, and I don't have a problem with that.
But what about some awful designs of LoS. Chupacabra, for example... Babayaga... really beautiful.
And the character that was a straight rip-off Pan's Labyrinth?
I prefer Carmilla from Judgment and not those characters from LoS.
And the music is not J-Rock fest, they are remixes from wonderful Castlevania tunes, and some new additions that fit in perfectly.
As for LoS music, well...

turned once great series into farce of the lowest quality
What you said about DoS and PoR is what I consider LoS to be, only instead of trying to cater to the little kids or anime lovers it was to cater the generic modern VG industry and the generic modern gamer, abandoning EVERYTHING Castlevania was, leaving 25 years of tradition behind.
You also forget that Castlevania was pretty much always anime, they just chose a different style for DoS and PoR, but Ayami Kojima works were ALWAYS anime-inspired. And look at some old, old manuals from old cartridges and you will also find anime-inspired designs, which is understandable, since they are japanese designs.

and some lolis
I guess you are talking about Stella and Loretta... They had a lot to do with the game being so great. Their mode is very fun, and the story (on their game and on the alternate mode) is good. Also, Dance of Sadness (when you go into battle with that "lolis") is one of the best Castlevania tracks ever made.

Soundtrack was mediocre as well. Not only melodies were not anything special, also arrangement sucked and killed whatever enjoyinment I could have from soundtrack
I can't even begin to answer that...

Portrait Of Ruin Gaze Up At The Darkness

Best Regards.
It's not invalid. I believe japanese always got the look and music right, even in the Pachislot, which still look and sound like Castlevania, while with LoS it's still debated until today, and I don't consider it at all to look, sound or anything like CV.
And if, up until today, MS is the only example of westerners making CV, the statement is not invalid.
Only japanese get it right.
If you want, I can change the other half of the sentence. I'll replace westerners for MercurySteam.
OK. MercurySteam doesn't get the point of what is Castlevania. They don't understand how it's supposed to look, how it's supposed to sound...
I hope, if they don't return to in-home produced games, that some other westerner get it better (if it is WayForward, we'll have Jake Kaufman's tunes, so we'll finally have Castlevania signature music back).

Bloodrayne: Betrayal OST - Dusk Falls

Edit: Castlevania: The Adventure is not an atrocious game, it's a wonderful game that is very hard to beat, the controls are not good, but it's still a very good game, one of the best titles on the Game Boy, and the beggining of the beautiful GB trilogy. And who can forget the soundtrack from that 3 games?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:40:03 PM by Pfil »
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I've been thinking about Cox's statement regarding his involvement with Castlevania ending after LOS2.
What if it is a lie?

Tags:

anything