Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: On the other hand...  (Read 18204 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »
To me a big part of the series charm is that, like Berserk, Castlevania is a work that takes cliche Western horror and fantasy ideas and gives them a fresh twist partly because the author(s) are coming from a different cultural perspective. When done well the anime style is just a more pronounced expression of the Eastern influences that help make the series special.
I completely agree with that.

From the image, 00 all the way! But I'm more of current decade style, right now.

90 is like Saber J and I like it (not for a CV game though).
Yes, it is! It reminded me instantly about SJtoX!
And you nailed it pretty good with the style I'd want, though the original topic was only to see fans reaction (my reaction would be like the Fry image when he says: "Shut up and take my money!").
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
Ahh yes I somehow forgot about Legends. It's a pity we never got to see Sonia in 3D, and that her in-game graphics couldn't live up to her cutscene and manual/cover illustrations. I'd also like to add that I don't think the artwork in DoS and PoR are as bad as people say, or bad at all really. I do personally prefer Ayami Kojima's art and find it much more atmospheric as I suspect most here do.
But I don't think there's actually a lack of quality in the portrait/illustration art of DoS/PoR, comes down to taste etc. Of course the shift inbetween AoS and DoS is jarring and I think hurts the latter game since as one of the few direct sequels in the series* the sense of artistic continuity is more important than it normally would be.

*Depending of course on how you define "direct", I mean starring the same central characters within a short frame of time. And especially if the actual games themselves are made within a reasonably short time of each other like CV1/SQ CVA/BR RoB/SOTN

Tags:

anything