Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SHOCKING NEWS: MercurySteam/Konami initally had Yamane's music for LoS...  (Read 19699 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
The Lords of Shadow 2 soundtrack just oozes a love for Castlevania, even if it isn't the same type of music as what Yamane put out. I'm not surprised to hear that Oscar is a fan.
Besides a few specific ones, I don't agree. Is the same thing LoS did and doesn't sound like anything that this series ever had.

It fits LoS, but doesn't fit the series as a whole.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Besides a few specific ones, I don't agree. Is the same thing LoS did and doesn't sound like anything that this series ever had.

This ^^^. I think that its pointless to compare both music styles. As I said, LoS music is not bad, its simply belongs to the game that represents.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:50:38 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
The fact that there's people eagerly seeing ways to mod the PC versions of these games in order to change the music is a testament to how much Alvarez's decision to change the style does not mesh well.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
I think we got some good tracks from the series, like "Daemon Lord." But I really wished for a LOS take on Dance of Illusions or Bloody Tears.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)

To clarify, when I say that it oozes a love for Castlevania, I don't mean that it hearkens back to pre-LoS style music.

Unlike the LoS soundtrack, which while well composed lacked a strong identity, the LoS2 soundtrack knows what it wants to be and captures the atmosphere and feeling of Lords of Shadow 2 very well, and I personally believe that, in general, Lords of Shadow 2 felt more atmospherically similar to a "traditional" Castlevania despite its flaws. IMO, it's a strong compliment to a new take on Castlevania, rather than the backdrop-y music that LoS had.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
The fact that there's people eagerly seeing ways to mod the PC versions of these games in order to change the music is a testament to how much Alvarez's decision to change the style does not mesh well.

Having LoS + CV Arcade's music = excellent

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
To clarify, when I say that it oozes a love for Castlevania, I don't mean that it hearkens back to pre-LoS style music.

Unlike the LoS soundtrack, which while well composed lacked a strong identity, the LoS2 soundtrack knows what it wants to be and captures the atmosphere and feeling of Lords of Shadow 2 very well, and I personally believe that, in general, Lords of Shadow 2 felt more atmospherically similar to a "traditional" Castlevania despite its flaws. IMO, it's a strong compliment to a new take on Castlevania, rather than the backdrop-y music that LoS had.
And that's exactly what I disagree.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
And that's exactly what I disagree.

Care to elaborate? Color me interested.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Castlevania wasn't about atmosphere through music. The music in Castlevania was upbeat, catchy, an element to keep the player engaged in what matters in the series: the gameplay. It wasn't made to really fit the narrative or evoke the mood of the player (even though they always tried to make it fit the area or the "theme" of the game).

LoS 2 is pretty moody, atmospheric. It works on the type of narrative LoS have, but it's simply too different from whatever Castlevania have done in the past. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like these type of soundtracks in any media (movies, series, games). If it isn't melodic, then I'll probably forget it after I finish the game (like I already did for this game, while I can still remember any melody line from a music in the other games, with exceptions of course).

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Personally, I don't think they tried hard enough, and before you jump on me for this, this is what I mean. I fail to believe that there were NO situation where Yamane's music fit the game(or at least, that STYLE of music could've been used). Music can be used for different things. I'm not saying, where a touching, emotional scene is playing out to ramp up the guitars and dance beats, but surely there were parts in the game where her style COULD work. I believe there are situations for every thing. There are times where it's better to go the atmopheric route, and there are other times where it's best to pump up the adrenaline.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
I do think that there are tracks from Yamane that would work in LOS. Wouldn't "Dracula's Fate" from Aria of Sorrow fit pretty well? Or "Successor of Fate?" Maybe not at the same rate, but I feel those compositions would fit nicely.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Castlevania wasn't about atmosphere through music. The music in Castlevania was upbeat, catchy, an element to keep the player engaged in what matters in the series: the gameplay. It wasn't made to really fit the narrative or evoke the mood of the player (even though they always tried to make it fit the area or the "theme" of the game).

LoS 2 is pretty moody, atmospheric. It works on the type of narrative LoS have, but it's simply too different from whatever Castlevania have done in the past. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like these type of soundtracks in any media (movies, series, games). If it isn't melodic, then I'll probably forget it after I finish the game (like I already did for this game, while I can still remember any melody line from a music in the other games, with exceptions of course).

I think we misunderstood each other. When I meant LoS2 was more traditional than LoS, I meant as a game, not in it's music.

If you're someone who desires all of your music media to be heavily melodic, then it makes sense that you wouldn't like the LoS soundtracks.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Castlevania wasn't about atmosphere through music.
Maybe not as a whole, but SCIV definitely tried going down that road, to much success. And that's the kind of DNA I see in the LoS series' music. The only difference being that IV still had stage by stage music, despite being very moody and ambient in a lot of the soundtrack, while LoS goes full movie and has almost no level specific music, except for Vampire Killer in the Music Box.

That said, I can agree that LoS2 has IMO, a stronger soundtrack than LoS1, although I still like both. LoS2 definitely sounded more like a dark gothic game. And I think the chanting in a lot of the music really gave it that almost Gregorian quality. The fact that there was also synth involved also gave it a bit more variety and depth to it aside from just being bombastic music. There also felt like there was MUCH more violin than LoS1 which was MUCH more trumpets and other such wind instruments. In general I like LoS2's composition and instrumental choices better. I mean, themes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ATsvuJ1Nzk

Are just amazing, and IMO, just as worthy of the Castlevania name as previous OST's. Dracula's theme itself with it's piano, goes without saying. or the Gardens theme. LoS2 has much more memorable music than LoS1 overall, even I can admit that.

Feels to me like with LoS, by trying to "establish the pre Dracula world" they really weren't able to establish a very solid identity in tone OR music, since by MoF it's all different, and LoS2 follows MoF's suit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:46:44 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
this should be the official theme song for the castlevania dungeon forum

Let's Listen: CV Harmony Of Dissonance - Merchant's Theme (Extended)

Can someone write rap lyrics to go with this? Preferably about selling lots of things but only buying those dumbass gems?

Interesting. Araujo certainly sounds like a nicer guy than Alvarez.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Maybe not as a whole, but SCIV definitely tried going down that road, to much success. And that's the kind of DNA I see in the LoS series' music. The only difference being that IV still had stage by stage music, despite being very moody and ambient in a lot of the soundtrack, while LoS goes full movie and has almost no level specific music, except for Vampire Killer in the Music Box.
SCV4 set up the atmosphere, but also added some hints of Progressive Rock into the mix(some give me a Rick Wakeman feel). In a way, it was the best of both worlds, which is what I want to see in more "cinematic" CVs. You can have atmophere building music, as well as something more pumping. Many people credit the whole "epic" sound of cinematic music to Hans Zimmer, but even he has a heavily diverse style. He can do epic, and in the same time, switch to something heavily earwormy and melodic, then switch to something electric, driven by guitars and rock. I don't believe there is just ONE style that can only work. It's a matter of careful choice. You can go purely cinematic, but just because you CAN doens't mean you SHOULD, nor does it mean it's the ONLY way to go.

Tags:

anything