Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Streets of Rage 4 trailer confirmed  (Read 7114 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
wow they actually have a art style that is actually appealing and fitting.

some felt DDIV looked too retro, but SOR4 looks fresh, vibrant, while excellent overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bgPefCyfA

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Looks like a flash game, will stick with Streets of Rage 1-3, and the fanmade Streets of Rage Remake for my SoR needs. I prefer pixel art over this hand drawn stuff for my games.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
Oooo! Even if it isn't pixel-animated at least we're getting a new SoR game. took 'em a while to get around to it. with only Axel and Blaze in the game (so far) I wonder what the story is about?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
well its better to keep the story simple, minimal and open.   the last times they used story it basically plot blocked characters like Adam out of the character selection.
(Adam getting kidnapped in SOR2.  Adam is an NPC in SOR3 ...because the story says so.....)

Axel, Blaze and everyone else should be playable, but at least the original trio should be selectable.   but if its only Axel and Blaze, that's still better than doing something ultra risky like a fresh cast of new faces, that really would upset a lot of fans.  though at least two of the top favorites are playable.

anyways for this genre, whatever story is whipped up is just an excuse to beat up hordes of enemies.

I really hate story in these kinda game, like look, Axel now has a beard. some think thats cool, others think it makes him look old and less appealing.
they shouldnt incorporate the passage of time into the series.  be more like The King of Fighters, their characters stay fresh.
Well at least Blaze still looks young and perfect.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/27/streets-of-rage-4-announced/

https://www.streets4rage.com/

http://www.lizardcube.com/presskit/StreetsofRage4/

neogaf reactions has too much toxic and ungrateful reactions. so does resetera but they do have more positive reactions here and there

https://www.resetera.com/threads/streets-of-rage-4-announced-lizardcube-guard-crush-games-and-dotemu.64633/

so what if the classic SOR composer doesnt do the soundtrack, it still is looking and moving GREAT!   SOR 1 2 and 3 would love to look this gorgeous!

sure the art direction divides the community, but this art style is 100000000000x superior to Double Dragon Neon and that Xbox 360 DD remake visuals.

maybe they should look at DDIV and be grateful SOR4 already looks as beautiful as it does.  pixel art would not sell as much, KOF12 and KOF13 proven that.  its not worth the effort and time put into detailed pixel sprites these days.  plus theres some artistic qualities that only handdrawn art can accomplish.

SOR4 art looks gorgeous compared to those forgettable indie beat em ups that been appearing lately overall. 
and at the sametime, unique instead of the generic anime mold that Arc System Works uses.

SOR4 has unique flavor of art overall that is fitting for the series in a new generation.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:10:10 PM by affinity »

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »
Oooo! Even if it isn't pixel-animated at least we're getting a new SoR game. took 'em a while to get around to it. with only Axel and Blaze in the game (so far) I wonder what the story is about?

There's those guys, the ones that did SOR Remake, Sega could do what they did with Chris "Taxman" White, hire them to use the engine they used and make a brand new game and retain the pixel art. Guaranteed to make $$$$ for Sega.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »
+1
Looks like a flash game, will stick with Streets of Rage 1-3

Sorry my man, but I gotta call you out on your Old Man Retro bullshit right there. Say what you will about hand-drawn versus dot art, but knowing what I know about Lizardcube having played their excellent Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake, the animation and integration is way better than "a Flash game." I'm normally not huge on the silky-smooth look of hand-drawn sprites either (although I don't mind them), but that game was such candy to the eyes that I'm willing to bet any of the jankiness in this trailer is down to it being an early build—after all, there's no release date and I'm sure there's plenty of animation smoothing out to do. I followed those dudes on Twitter before Dragon's Trap came out and they constantly updated with improved animations.

And we need a new entry to a classic brawler that's done right. Double Dragon Neon was so-so and Double Dragon IV looked like garbage. Streets of Rage 4 looks to be keeping the beat 'em up alive in the best of ways while giving it a current look, and current ain't a bad thing.

Ya wanna talk bad Flash-looking games, here's a real example of that:

Or this nonsense right here:

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »
Sorry Freak, when I see guys who aren't working with any company put out an awesome fanservice mixing of the first 3 Streets of Rage game, with so many nice extras, and these guys are right there for Sega to snap up and give us quality (like Taxman's redo of Sonic CD, which is wonderful still), HD stuff like this just doesn't cut it for me. To me, the real SoR 4 is SoR Remake, it's just that Sega hasn't realized it.

But it seems Sega, like SNK, are wanting to go back to their past IP's (and seeing what Konami wants to do with Bomberman now; there's a topic for it here on the boards), I have more faith in SNK, than I do Sega. I like 2-D, but not graphics like this, to me SoR Remake felt right.

Edit: DotEmu also has a hand in this, and going from their Irem compilation for PC, their history is not good at all. They promised patches, the likes of which never materialized, despite months of them telling people they were coming.

And from a Sega community forum I post on and hang around, the general consensus is like mine, blah.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:22:53 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
I have a slight preference for pixel art as well, but I definitely enjoy a well made hand drawn style 2D game. The best example that comes to mind is Street Fighter 2 HD. I actually like the way this game looks much more than the original pixel art games.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
I have a slight preference for pixel art as well, but I definitely enjoy a well made hand drawn style 2D game. The best example that comes to mind is Street Fighter 2 HD. I actually like the way this game looks much more than the original pixel art games.

well SF2T HD Remix was hit and miss with its new sprites.  characters like Ryu/Ken and Chun Li look and animate so much better and better proportioned in their clasic 2D sprites than their HD versions, its cool in included option for classic graphics too.  though yea others like Vega and Cammy look entirely better with the new sprites.

though yea, SOR4 looks perfect considering there's a lot of bad avenues the art direction could have went.   they have good taste overall and Blaze's design exceeds expectations and even the generic familiar enemies look great and stronger looking too. the backgrounds look nice.  like seriously, there are tons of beat em ups that would want this talent making a new sequel.

people are being too harsh with the graphics, but its mixed with positive reactions too.  I think the most insane people are those that are determining whether the game is a hit or miss based on whether Yuzo composes music for SOR4, which is being way too spoiled.   SOR finally gets a respectable and gorgeous looking sequel and they are gonna skip it based on music?  in a generation where you can play your own music, whether interally or externally from console?

like really, people could just use a flashdrive to override PS4 game music, or resort to a music player or their phone music app to play classic SOR tunes while playing SOR4. 

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
+2
Holy fuck, that teaser was TIGHT

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
more important than music. they should get the hit sound effects right

.  SOR3's hit sounds were too weak for the most part, while SOR2's sound FX are very hard hitting and very solid. 

also they should let players choose same character without needing a button code.

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »
I am uber excited about SOR4, I have been waiting a looooong time for this. I love the new graphics, just what I had envisioned for a modern take on the series!

I am a big fan of the series. Am planning on releasing some of my own Streets of Rage covers some time soon, the games are just that important to me.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
wow they actually have a art style that is actually appealing and fitting.

some felt DDIV looked too retro, but SOR4 looks fresh, vibrant, while excellent overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bgPefCyfA

Thing with Double Dragon IV, it didn't know what it wanted to be visually. Had it be just retro NES style, I think it would've looked much better, but then there is parts of the background that looks like it was made in MS Paint, some low-res texture fills, as well as low-res digitized real photos. It looks like some art project a first year graphic design student has made for his "collage project" in Photoshop class. I is just peeve of mine when certain aspects of the general graphic design don't fit with each other. I feel that way with the Saturn Nocturne in the Moonlight's extra area (Garden, in particular). The easy way to describe that sorta thing is that they are the epitome of the word "eyesores".

Streets of Rage IV, on the other had, looks visually consistent and pretty damn cool.

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
the last times they used story it basically plot blocked characters like Adam out of the character selection.
(Adam getting kidnapped in SOR2.  Adam is an NPC in SOR3 ...because the story says so.....)

Dude, it really sucked how they never brought him back in official capacity as a selectable character. He was easily my favorite in SOR1 with his slow, high jump kick easily able to mow through numerous mobs like dominoes. It made comparison to Axel pretty pathetic in perpetuating the old adage that , indeed, white men can't jump
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »
I would've liked to see pixels, but I'm just too damn excited that we're getting another SoR game. Finally!
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags:

anything