Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Gaming Masterpieces  (Read 2902 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
WARNING!
WARNING!

This topic is (maybe) going to have controversial opinions, varying on one's value of a "Masterpiece". Let's keep this civil and not shit on someone just because they value a certain game much higher than the popular opinion.

That being said, I'd like to share a few games I consider masterpieces, or even shed some light on those that are flawed, but well worth some praise.

Nier Automata.
What is the value of humanity? could you accept it seeing the best and worst of it? Why is a game filled with machines more human than most media with humans?
Every aspect of this game is great, especially the soundtrack which gains a whole new meaning as you play the game.
Something as simple as walking through a desert becomes an emotional piece.
As for the gameplay? quite a bit of variety and every side-quest serves a purpose.
I went in to play an awesome game, but I got so much more than I bargained for.

Castlevania Symphony of The Night
Flawed in presentation,but you know what? I've played this game on every platform at least once or twice a year, each doing something new and to each playthrough's completion. To say it never got old is a bit of an understatement, and the music? This is a Castlevania board, I'm sure most of you have hummed The Tragic Prince at work for quite a bit of time. I'm not going too far in details because it's a bit overplayed in praise but hell, there's a reason this spin-off became canon and the standard for all titles onward.

Metal Gear Solid 2
"Games Aren't Art" - Hideo Kojima, Yet he makes this masterpiece that aged scarily too well, subverting expectations is a strong point of this game and more interestingly, the story could be viewed as both standalone and a sequel and have entirely different contexts, add that to the various agendas of the villains to find that nobody was entirely "evil", oddly enough this would have been a perfect way to end the series... but...

Metal Gear Solid 3
This game is the crux on pointing out flaws in an open world or "realistic" games, The detail that was put into this game, holy shit, and the best part is that the game never tells you these things, only to leave you, the player to stumble upon it yourself or by word of mouth, this was a perfect pre-internet-spoils-everything school-yard game, As me and a few friends were discussing The End, one defeated him legit, other with Stamina, one waited a few days, and I suggested sniping him on his wheelchair, hell, you can discuss this game today and still learn something new about it. Top that with near limitless replayability, this is still my absolute favorite MGS game of all time.

Doom 1+2
You can play this game right now and enjoy it more than most modern FPS games today, pop it in a decade later and still enjoy the hell out of it.
Like SoTN, it never gets old, and shows that something well designed will always stand out when the products of it's time fade into obscurity.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:30:25 AM »
Nier Automata! Ahhhhh.... so much humanity in that game. The ending... the ending.... ahhhh the feels....

Tags: