Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: God bless America  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
Well, does anyone else feel like the phrase is being overused?  :rollseyes:
It's supposed to be a blessing that supports faith and freedom, but it's been used so often in war movies sarcastically by people who try to justify their crimes by saying it, that it gets like saying "we can't be wrong; God is on our side".

In fallout 2 the self-titled President of USA, controlling not much more than a super-fortified oil rig, in response to your question "President of America? WHAT America?"  says:
"The United states of America. It still exists, you know. God bless America". That is so ironic that it's simply genius.

Just my thoughts, hehe.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:59:54 PM by Drunken Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Renonsgoods

• Combat Cross Trainer
  • Vampire Hunter
  • One needs gold even in hell these days
    • Awards
Re: God bless America
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
Near as I can tell, it seems the phrase has been used more lately as a jab against America than as a patriotic mantra for America.  Then again, that's just my experience.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
I haven't heard it that much, but it does annoy me when I do hear it.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
Yeah it's entirely overrated and that fact of the matter is: God doesn't takes sides when it comes to his children. He doesn't play favorites and that is THE universal truth. However America, other war-like nations and even the Roman catholic church says otherwise. It's just humanity's stupid ego in top play and it's out of control. No wonder Earth is such a mess right now.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
I think you're just jealous.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
Well, does anyone else feel like the phrase is being overused?  :rollseyes:

No.

Near as I can tell, it seems the phrase has been used more lately as a jab against America than as a patriotic mantra for America.  Then again, that's just my experience.

Wrong.

I haven't heard it that much, but it does annoy me when I do hear it.
Yeah it's entirely overrated and that fact of the matter is: God doesn't takes sides when it comes to his children. He doesn't play favorites and that is THE universal truth. However America, other war-like nations and even the Roman catholic church says otherwise. It's just humanity's stupid ego in top play and it's out of control. No wonder Earth is such a mess right now.

Deal with it.

I think you're just jealous.

Damn straight. It's easy for non-Americans to misinterpretation American customs, and covet American freedoms. God bless America.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:51:38 PM by uzo »

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
Someday people would say, "God bless our planet Earth."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
I never knew you were so patriotic, Uzo. :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »
Captain America was a good movie. The technology used to shrink Chris Evans worked pretty good, and he did a good job as Steve Rogers. Kudos to Hugo Weaving for a great portrayal of Red Skull.

He will be excellent in Avengers. God Bless America!!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:16:58 PM »
Satan thinks like a man, but God thinks of Eternity.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
+1
I don't think there is a God, so the phrase doesn't do much for me religiously.

Still, I can relate to its secular meaning: that it will outlast the tests of fate. I will say that I hope my country and the unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness will prosper for future generations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:11:37 PM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »
I don't think there is a God

that doesn't matter, cuz God believes in YOU!

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »
I think we are all God...

We all bless America.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
God bless all His creations.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
No.

Wrong.

Deal with it.

Damn straight. It's easy for non-Americans to misinterpretation American customs, and covet American freedoms. God bless America.

The Romans and British that that god(s) were on there side, and look what happened to their empires.

"But time flows like a river, and history repeats..." from the secret of mana intro.

Oh, btw Uzo, ancient egypt lasted for over 2,000 years, china even longer to this day. This country hasn't even hit the 500 year mark yet.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:33:30 PM by Highwind Dragoon »

Tags: