Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145854 times)

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
+1
You're not defending anything, you're just flamebaiting.

To be fair, he was stupid enough to say he was trolling.  And you know we aren't suppose to feed trolls.  Just wish he'd stop making classic fans look bad.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »
Seriously, the best quote from that Kotaku interview was:

He even wrote the groundbreaking dating sim Tokimeki Memorial.

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

This is why we remember him ladies and gentlemen.

Seriously, though, I hope he has a lot of success on his new venture. It takes a lot of courage to leave the company you've worked at for 24 years to do a start-up. I also think it's mighty big of him to not be bitter at all over LoS taking over. I know if I was him, I'd probably be a bit bitter, but who knows. I think he has the talent to make something really cool, and I think this will create the best situation for everyone.

On an off-topic note it's also sad how he compliments MS's skill at art, because now that lead artist is gone...

Jose Luis Vallejo was a huge part of the overall art direction of LoS1, but there are plenty of artists who are also extraordinarily talented. I think what hurt LoS2 was the fact that non-artists were trying to dictate artistic direction *coughALVAREZcough*

I actually laughed out loud at that, e105.

Glad I could brighten up this thread a little bit.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
Guys guys! Fellas..

We have a new Castlevania game already. It's called Dark Souls 2! You see, all you have to do is find the whip weapon, upgrade it with fire damage (FLAME WHIP), get some throwing knives and witch flasks.

Here it is done in Dark Souls 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZmridPRic

I don't understand how anyone could think Dark Souls even REMOTELY resembles Castlevania, much less would want a Castlevania game like that. >_< No more RPG elements in my CV plz.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Remember, Flame, don't feed the trolls, if someone admits to doing it that's a sign to ignore 'em, not egg 'em on. And machetespaghetti, don't try our patience, Jorge has already warned you once. Let's get back on topic.

Doctamario, I think I lot of people find similarities between the Souls game and Castlevania due to the aesthetics and level design. While there's not so much platforming, since you can only do running jumps (unlike in CV), there are lot of giant old castles in Lordran/Drangleic that would serve as Dracula's in a pinch. They're also filled with Castlevania style enemies, like skeletons and zombies and such. So it makes sense that people might like both :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »
I know if I was him, I'd probably be a bit bitter, but who knows.

not bitter, but bittersweet. yeah hes bummed that hes moving on from the series he loves the most, but in turn he has much more freedom now to create stuff his fans want to see that werent possible under Konami's management.

about tokimeki memorial, fun fact, beating Akumajo Dracula The Arcade with the "little Witch" character triggers an ending where Dracula resembles a tokimeki character. the entire ending is an homage to Tokimeki Memorial

i wont be surprised if iga's game resembles this

Koumajou Densetsu Scarlet Symphony | Stage 3 ~ Scarlet Bloodlines (HD)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »
Remember, Flame, don't feed the trolls, if someone admits to doing it that's a sign to ignore 'em, not egg 'em on. And machetespaghetti, don't try our patience, Jorge has already warned you once. Let's get back on topic.

Doctamario, I think I lot of people find similarities between the Souls game and Castlevania due to the aesthetics and level design. While there's not so much platforming, since you can only do running jumps (unlike in CV), there are lot of giant old castles in Lordran/Drangleic that would serve as Dracula's in a pinch. They're also filled with Castlevania style enemies, like skeletons and zombies and such. So it makes sense that people might like both :)

I just think it's funny that someone (Rugal) who complained about not liking LoS's art direction and the fantasy bits of it would go an compare Dark Souls to CV. I dunno, I dont' find RPG elements fun in the least, and I don't really get what people like about them, but meh, to each their own.

And speaking of Akumajo The Arcade, when is someone going to port/emulate that?? As a huge House Of The Dead fan, I REEEEAAALLLYYYYY want to try that game out!

EDIT: Wow, that Scarlet Symphony game is a lawsuit perfect CV type game. Even the music in that stage is almost a dead rip of the Entrance music from SoTN. O_o Looks like a fun game though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:08:28 PM by DoctaMario »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Akumajo the Arcade woulda worked great with the playstation Move, why konami hasnt capitalized on this idea is beyond me

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
Akumajo the Arcade woulda worked great with the playstation Move, why konami hasnt capitalized on this idea is beyond me

Cuz Konami is dumb. I can't figure out how one of the most innovative and interesting game companies in past generations shit the bed so hard this past one. It's like they weren't even trying sometimes.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
Akumajo the Arcade could be played too in MS Kinect, isn´t? :P

I like the bosses, ambience, graphics, enemies and other things in Dark Souls. But I think that the distinct of these games are the difficulty. I see gameplays from that games, and I simply don´t like that you have a meter of the "strenght", that can be consume when you hit the enemies. It´s refill after a few seconds, but I dont like that feature in Dark Souls.

Ok, let´s think in a Castlevania from From Software, with the Dark Souls´s engine, but use another gameplay mechanics, please...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #264 on: March 18, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
I dunno, like I said, I don't find tons of RPG elements much fun. I started a game of DS and it just didn't connect with me (I was playing the PC version so that may have had something to do with it.) SoTN actually is one of the few games I like that has RPG elements because they aren't overbearing.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
I not like LoS I thinking Machiete spighitti is right

If this is a dupe account from machetespeghetti than I must let you know that the staff can tell.

If not than ignore this post.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Back on topic kiddos.

I just read the Kotaku interview.
IGA really is humble. I remembered talking to him on i-revo way back in 2005 with my rudimentary Japanese. I wish I wasn't swamped by school work at that time in order to ask him more questions....
I can't wait for his next game!

@Crisis: The Tokimemo Drac. I think I read the concept of it somewhere...
AHA! http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/cv/magazine/egm07.jpg

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
+1
666 hail Satan my dark lord and master. Come into me and I will serve you.

*Chuckle* You do realize that 666 or 616 is actually the address of Rome's most notorious Emperor; Nero right? In reality it's got nothing to do with Satan.

I can agree that Dark Souls has visual aesthetics and atmosphere almost exactly like CV. However the play mechanics and the ludicrous difficulty are entirely in a league of there own. I definitely don't want my future Cv experience to have such difficulty. As it is I'm struggling to get through Dark Souls. Games like that are what cheat devices (Game Genie, Game Shark) were invented for. I want my infinity energy code.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
+3
Squidward and Machetespaghetti were the same person, and both have been banned for sockpuppeting/trolling. Everything's back to normal, friends, we can get back to the discussion without worrying about any trolling nonsense :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: March 18, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »
Thanks Gunlord.
I just deleted squidward's posts here since it disrupts the thread flow.

Tags:

anything