Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 169800 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Simon's Quest Revamped available for download today!!
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
Theres always my CV2 Simon...

Very NICE!!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
someone with some actual talent would have to make stair sprites tho cause I doubt I can

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »

That's Gabriel.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
lol well konami owes me for the design then cause I made it in 05

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: 16-bit style Simon's Quest Remake ready for release on Friday 5-20!!
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
Yes, it's basically just a recolor of SCV4's set.

Attached is the Rondo style coloring sheet. I did remove the one custom whip frame that didn't quite work well. And since you aren't going to use the Adventure Rebirth whips, there's no reason to include the additional 'last frame' to the whipping. I'm not quite confident Richter's whips will be all that compatible with Simon though due to the different swinging positions he has.

I'm not sure about the lower idle animations either. X made them but I'm not sure they'd look right in use.

Either way, here it is.
http://img694.yfrog.com/img694/3460/scviisimonrondo.png

personally, I like this one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:34:00 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
someone with some actual talent would have to make stair sprites tho cause I doubt I can

Stair climbing and descending sprite animations have been done for SotN Trevor. It was made for the SNES Dracula X. Someone did a Trevor hack of that game and put good ol' Trevor in there instead of Richter. If you want those sprites for the stairs then get the hack. But you may wish to get in touch with the maker of that hack just for permission sake  ;)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »

Stair climbing and descending sprite animations have been done for SotN Trevor. It was made for the SNES Dracula X. Someone did a Trevor hack of that game and put good ol' Trevor in there instead of Richter. If you want those sprites for the stairs then get the hack. But you may wish to get in touch with the maker of that hack just for permission sake  ;)

-X

Don't you guys think that BEFORE any of you put time into making more frames for a custom sprite, that you may want make sure that the project leader/owner (metroidquest) sees the image of the sprite, so that if he does not wish to use it you guys don't end up doing all that work for nothing?  :)

Also, if you guys are soooo hardcore about having old school Simon, why not just do what Konami did in CV1 and CV3, but in reverse? By this I mean take the Trevor from SOTN, alter him just a liiiittle bit (shorten hair, minor detail changes, minor recolor), and make him look like Simon? It would be less work in the long run for you peeps, and not to mention that it would probably look really good since we have a number of people in this thread who have some really NICE artistic skills.

EDIT: YES I see the "gabriel" sprite above... yes I know it is an edited Trevor from SOTN, and a VERY cool looking one at that. I had forgotten about it though honestly. Whoops
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:06:04 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:52 AM »

I like it

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »
Don't you guys think that BEFORE any of you put time into making more frames for a custom sprite, that you may want make sure that the project leader/owner (metroidquest) sees the image of the sprite, so that if he does not wish to use it you guys don't end up doing all that work for nothing?  :)

Also, if you guys are soooo hardcore about having old school Simon, why not just do what Konami did in CV1 and CV3, but in reverse? By this I mean take the Trevor from SOTN, alter him just a liiiittle bit (shorten hair, minor detail changes, minor recolor), and make him look like Simon? It would be less work in the long run for you peeps, and not to mention that it would probably look really good since we have a number of people in this thread who have some really NICE artistic skills.

Where's the fun in that?  Mildly altering sprites is what a beginner would do (no offense to those who do that).  :P
I'll make a brand-new Simon just for the challenge of it, whether any project owner needs or wants it.  I make stuff for the love of CV.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
Where's the fun in that?  Mildly altering sprites is what a beginner would do (no offense to those who do that).  Tongue
I'll make a brand-new Simon just for the challenge of it, whether any project owner needs or wants it.  I make stuff for the love of CV.

Exactly. Many spriters out there get their start by taking an already existing sprite and changing it. This will happen for a time until the spriter is more comfortable with his or her skills and then can task themselves with making a full custom sprite. Even though I've been doing this stuff on and off for years, I'm still mediocre when it comes to custom spriting.

Also, if you guys are soooo hardcore about having old school Simon, why not just do what Konami did in CV1 and CV3, but in reverse? By this I mean take the Trevor from SOTN, alter him just a liiiittle bit (shorten hair, minor detail changes, minor recolor), and make him look like Simon? It would be less work in the long run for you peeps,
                                                                                           ^     
In the future try not to bite peoples heads off Ecso. I felt that this was a little uncalled for.

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
Where's the fun in that?  Mildly altering sprites is what a beginner would do (no offense to those who do that).  Tongue
I'll make a brand-new Simon just for the challenge of it, whether any project owner needs or wants it.  I make stuff for the love of CV.

Exactly. Many spriters out there get their start by taking an already existing sprite and changing it. This will happen for a time until the spriter is more comfortable with his or her skills and then can task themselves with making a full custom sprite. Even though I've been doing this stuff on and off for years, I'm still mediocre when it comes to custom spriting.

Also, if you guys are soooo hardcore about having old school Simon, why not just do what Konami did in CV1 and CV3, but in reverse? By this I mean take the Trevor from SOTN, alter him just a liiiittle bit (shorten hair, minor detail changes, minor recolor), and make him look like Simon? It would be less work in the long run for you peeps,
                                                                                           ^      
In the future try not to bite peoples heads off Ecso. I felt that this was a little uncalled for.

-X

What in the world are you talking about X? I wasn't biting anyone's head off. If I wanted to do that I would just call them a mothafucka and get it over with. I don't do that girlie beating around the bush trash.  8)

I was just stating the obvious that people have other obligations in life, and that it might be easier to just edit something, rather than going from scratch, since so many sprite projects go unfinished. I have no idea how or why you took that as "biting someone's head off" but it's all good.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:21:49 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
What in the world are you talking about X? I wasn't biting anyone's head off. If I wanted to do that I would just call them a mothafucka and get it over with. I don't do that girlie beating around the bush trash.  8)

Excuse me, but there's nothing girly about being a civilized individual and having tact.  It's how society survives as opposed to being wild vermin.

I was just stating the obvious that people have other obligations in life, and that it might be easier to just edit something, rather than going from scratch, since so many sprite projects go unfinished. I have no idea how or why you took that as "biting someone's head off" but it's all good.

There's a difference between a sprite re-color trying to pass itself off as another character, and sprite editing, even if there are degrees to how much editing is being done.
He could've chosen Castlevania X68000 Simon and recolored that.  That would've probably been a great move.  Simon's stair animations are better than Richter's.

You can recolor Richter red with a few clicks of a mouse, but you could've done it with Simon and a few more clicks and it would be a bigger payoff for a little bit more effort.  Or, you can slowly bake a brand new spriteset.  I realize this takes the longest, but you get the most bang for originality.

We're all trying to help because we like how it's going.  We're not doing it to be jerks.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
Jorge's post

I fail to see how ANY of your post has anything to do with what I said Jorge. Especially considering the fact that the whole purpose of it was to inform X of the fact that he had misinterpreted my post.

Nor did I ever claim anyone was being a jerk by trying to help. You guys should really stop jumping to conclusions. I personally like the sprite edit of Trevor to look like Simon, and think using it would be way better than using a red Richter. But it is not my project, and that is just my opinion.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:06:18 PM by Esco »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
The only thing that set me off was the 'peeps' part. That's it. Everything else in the rest of your post I understood and didn't take offense to. But I will apologize if I jumped to conclusions a bit. Sorry Esco  :)

-X

Tags: