Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is some idiot just going around crashing random Castlevania boards?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Or what's going on at the Anti-Chapel?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Is some idiot just going around crashing random Castlevania boards?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
I don't know!
No problems here, thus far.  O_o;
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
No, It was some problem with the backup or something.  :o

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »
I worry about those.
I did a backup of here just a few days ago, before upgrading SMF.
I'm still new at this Forum Admin stuff (like, now that the forum is more under CVForum Admin control instead of IGN/Gamespy/Forumplanet).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
The reason is kind of complicated, but I'll try to explain it.  Forums work because they're hooked up to databases. From a technical standpoint, the database is a vitally important facet of the forum. It's where all the posts, member information, topics, private messages, etc, are stored.  

We have our website hosted at Point A.

We had our forum and database hosted at Point B, a place totally unrelated to Point A.

Our website at Point A uses something called a Content Management System, which is hooked up to the same database at Point B (you don't need a database for a website, but we use one).  Apparently, the hosts at Point B won't let us hook our database up to an outside website – Point A.  

Therefore, the website went down because it could no longer connect to the database.  Since the hosts at Point B wouldn't allow us to do what we wanted, we picked up our database and put it somewhere else that would (another web hosting service).  

When the forum was down, we were moving our database, doing a reinstall of the forum software, and repairing a few things.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:30:29 AM »
Ah, I understand.  We were down during our move to the new server and one of the slowdowns was server database setup.  We had to wait for the host to set us up with the SQL Database stuff.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
We had our forum and database hosted at Point B, a place totally unrelated to Point A.

You realize that's a horrible idea, right?

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:16:48 AM »
We were down during our move to the new server and one of the slowdowns was server database setup.  We had to wait for the host to set us up with the SQL Database stuff.

Heh, it's good to see you got all that sorted out. I know moving to different servers is not a fun process, and it never goes quite as smoothly as it should. Well, not for me. I still have one or two niggling bugs to work out; nothing drastic, though. It's always good to turn a down into an up and make the place a little better than it was before somehow. :)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Ok I am that idiot.

;) jk

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Tags: