Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Homemade Chain Whip Prototype  (Read 7248 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
+1

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »
Though cheesy (and he warned us beforehand) it was an interesting demonstration  :)  But it looked as though he had trouble getting the end of the whip to go where he wanted it to. I think that but putting a metal ball at the end (not necessarily a flail) as a kind of counterweight, it will help the chain whip to function more as you'd expect it to. Someone here who has a You Tube account should tell him to do-so and it might improve the whip's functionality.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
"I'm not your mom and I'm not the discovery channel."

This was about the nerdiest fail video ever. But at least he revels in it. He is using it ALL wrong really.

Thing is though, Castlevania misrepresents the chain whip and makes it act like a bull whip. Because the chain links are loose, unlike the construction of a leather whip, you don't get the same flow of force down the whip when used. It's really not even a whip.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
At least it looks cool. I would pay for an official Konami release for something like this than the leather one we had a while back...

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »
Adam Crack FIREWHIP! Full Performance

Now that's an awesome flame whip!

"I'm not your mom and I'm not the discovery channel."

This was about the nerdiest fail video ever. But at least he revels in it. He is using it ALL wrong really.

Thing is though, Castlevania misrepresents the chain whip and makes it act like a bull whip. Because the chain links are loose, unlike the construction of a leather whip, you don't get the same flow of force down the whip when used. It's really not even a whip.

Maybe he was using Haunted Castle Controls?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:21:44 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Yeah unfortunately morningstar flails were probably pretty rare in real life, because they wouldn't have been very effective. And they certainly wouldn't have had long chains. Lindybiege makes a good argument for this I think
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-y6oirEsZA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzE8YMkC5s
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:07:57 PM by Ratty »

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
It's actually interesting that this is what you guys are talking about. This is the best reproduced copy of this i have ever seen. I made it and it's totally deadly. The only thing is you need to be very careful about your strike and the fall or that ball will come back and bust you up.

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
Now that looks cool! But it's still far too short to be the vampirekiller (no offense Morning star  :))
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
Now that looks cool! But it's still far too short to be the vampirekiller (no offense Morning star  :))

To his credit, they have always mentioned that the vampire killer was far too long...lol

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »
That looks like the Haunted Castle version of it (short and deadly).
Good job, Morning Star.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
>all the posts about impracticality of chain whips and the series' misconstruing of how they'd actually work (that I'm too lazy to quote directly)

Belmont magic, duh.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, i wanted something that would look the part but still be useful if you ever reached for it. The full length version is a totally fictional weapon and can't be used for anything but lifting a motor out of a vehicle. Still, i was fan enough to need this on my wall for some reason :D

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:48:10 PM »
The full length version is a totally fictional weapon and can't be used for anything but lifting a motor out of a vehicle.

I don't know. Maybe the Vampirekiller wasn't based of of a medieval flail, but was instead based off this:

The game came out of Japan so this is the most likeliest origin. And not to forget the weapon used on the movie Kill Bill that was also very similar to the above as well:

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:54:24 PM »
You address Gogo Yubari by name, you filthy heathen (that's a wicked good cosplay of her, though).

Her incarnation of the weapon is actually rather plausible, since it requires deft manipulation of the arms and wrists to properly wield it. The issue is that the chain Vampire Killer is swung like a conventional bullwhip, which wouldn't work at all with chain due to the vast differences in how each medium carries movement and the force of its own weight.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:56:45 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: