Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you deal with post-holiday depression?  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
How do you deal with post-holiday depression?
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:51:44 AM »
I have returned from a two-week vacation abroad and got the slight shock of returning home.
Didn't feel like doing anything yesterday, got a long rest and now slowly pulling out of it.

The shock is tripled as along with the vacation, my girlfriend is left in the other country which puts our relationship on freeze and on the other hand I need to get my ass together and start looking for a real job.

So... Recommendations for getting back on track?  :rollseyes:
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: How do you deal with post-holiday depression?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »
Post Holiday Depression? Never heard of it. I can't wait until the bullshit holidays are over. I couldn't be happier.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
I'm not familiar with PHD either. The only thing I can think of that comes close is when the holidays ended and I'd find myself back in that broken institution known as school. To me the holidays were a source of freedom away from the labor camp, and I couldn't wait till the next one to role around.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
I believe Freddy is referring to "holiday" in the sense of a vacation, not referring to Christmas/Channukah/Boxing Day/Kwanzaa.  USA English doesn't use the term that way, but English speakers in the rest of the world do.  So if you're in the USA, think of it like post-vacation depression.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »
Yeah, PFG, you are quite right. I was on a holiday and a vacation in a different country.
I think I'm slightly returning to my ordinary state now. Trying to keep myself busy and checking for jobs.
Had you guys ever had an experience that blew your mind? For two weeks I felt like a different person in a different country, absorbing a different culture, and living with my loved one. It was wonderful. Then I had to return to where I was, and the uncertainties in my life. It is difficult as I tend to dislike uncertainties.
The end of the winter holidays marks a beginning for me, however, I do not know yet which path I would follow.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
It is fun and nice when I'm on vacation then I feel sad (not depressed) when I get back to my normal routine. The only thing that prevents me from going into depression is to think about the next vacation opportunity.

Offline Morning star

• Vanquishing Evil Since 1987
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Vintage video game collector.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »
I visit old forums i haven't been on for a long time :)

This magic whip could be an example of advanced alien technology.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
So if you're in the USA, think of it like post-vacation depression.

Aha, I understand what he's saying now then. Going back to the grind is tough.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »
I have the same feeling last week (my last vacation days), so when I knew all the things that I must do (renew my car license plate, for example) I deal with that type of depression. Then, I see a coverage in my local news at the TV, and it seems is normal to feel the post-holiday depression. In fact, there is a psychological term for that :P.

It takes time, but my recommendation is to simply do the usual things (work, school, the normal routine), and the depression can pass along automaticaly :D.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »
My birthday is right after the holidays, so I'm pretty happy.
It happens to be today. ;)

And in a few weeks... MAGFest! :D :D :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »
Happy Birthday Jorge!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
Niiiice!  Thank you. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »
My birthday is right after the holidays, so I'm pretty happy.
It happens to be today. ;)

And in a few weeks... MAGFest! :D :D :D

Well a January person well cool! I still want a challenge in smash!  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:22 AM »
Exercise always helps for me. You could do running, lifting weights, whatever gets you active.

I'm coming to the realization that I'm not really satisfied when I'm not physically active. When I miss workouts, everything else in my life kind of goes to shit: no motivation around the house, eating junk food, sense of guilt, etc., etc. Exercise just keeps everything straight for me.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags:

anything