Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Status effects ideas  (Read 6194 times)

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Status effects ideas
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
so we've got poison, curse, charm, and stone, but i don't like the small size in the variety of status effects in the series, i think there should have been more...what kinds of other status effects should we throw in? (like frozen, can't attack, reflect, slowdown, haste, turned into a pig/cat, etc.)? share your ideas here ^^
GAME OVER

Offline Arma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My, currently outdated, blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
the good or the bad ones only?
I would rather to have more of the good ones like camouflage to evade enemies for a while or the ability of going through walls for a second to find hidden chambers ha ha
What about some effect on the sub weapons, like the ability of absorb a negative status into a sub weapon to give it an altered effect or something like that.

Don't know what else, I haven't played Castlevania in a while so I don't know if these have been used already in some of the newer rpgish ones

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »
(like frozen, can't attack, reflect, slowdown, haste, turned into a pig/cat, etc.)

Hmmmmmmmm...

frozen

SotN had an effect of frozen that stunned you longer.

can't attack

SotN's curse.

reflect

Max out your CON in SotN. Does that count?

slowdown

Rondo, Adventure Rebirth (I think), and I think one of the exploration style games also had it, DoS perhaps?

haste

PoR, and OoE I think.

turned into a pig/cat

Wolf (SotN), Bat (SotN), Frog (PoR), Owl (PoR), Werecat (OoE), Werebat (OoE)

the ability of going through walls for a second to find hidden chambers ha ha

OoE
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:40:57 PM by uzo »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »
Stigmata
The screen gradually reddens until you can see nothing but red, then eventually fades.

Zombify
Kinda like in Metal Slug.

Crippled
Makes you crawl due to being so weak.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
Remember vamp condition in cv 64/lod needed that crystal ball thing I think.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:47:32 PM »
They could have a confuse/disorient, where the screen inverts, as a throwback to that part in Bloodlines.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
All of these seem completely un-CV.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
it's funny how you can transform into a frog in Ghosts n Goblins.. that game is c r a z y

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Status effects ideas
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
Wolf (SotN), Bat (SotN), Frog (PoR), Owl (PoR), Werecat (OoE), Werebat (OoE)
but without your consent? when an enemy turns you into one against your will and weakens you in some way?
GAME OVER

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »
All of these seem completely un-CV.

What's un-CV about blood mysteriously dripping into your eyes or having a profound religious moment while chasing vampires and demons?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »
but without your consent? when an enemy turns you into one against your will and weakens you in some way?

No. That sounds pretty retarded.

Offline Alukard

• Adrian Celcius Tepes
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
I think there is quite an abundance of status effects in the 'vania series. I don't really have any complaints.

My favorite is the stone status effect. There was a nice touch where sometimes Alucard would turn into a massive gargoyle which blew my mind when I first saw it. I always enjoyed the beast transformations too that could be further augmented with souls and familiars that level up with you and gain new abilities.... now Im just getting carried away.

I'm interested in this.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
That gargoyle statue Alucard transforms into, I always thought that was his "demon form" should he choose to embrace his vampiric side. But probably not.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
Here's what I thought of:

Blaze - fire attacks have a chance to ignite the target doing extra damage until fire fades or is put out. (fire can be put out by jumping into water in metroidvanias)

Insanity - controls or perspective change.  For example, the screen is flipped, controls invert, random controls are changed.  (think what happens in Eternal Darkness when your sanity gauge starts to drop.  In essence, the game starts to play with u until controlled.)
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Bloodlines had that flower powder in the Pallace of Versailles that inverted your left/right controls.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything