Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Demon Castle" or "Devil's Castle"?  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
Is there really any reason to go with one over the other or does it all just boil down to personal preference?

I kinda prefer Demon Castle since that's always what I've known till Wikipedia started using Devil's Castle almost exclusively, and also Demon Castle kinda implies the castle itself is a demon...maybe? Some kind of hellish entity of sorts, since it's always changing. Or is it just an extension of Dracula's pouty moods?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:39:10 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
I also prefer Demon Castle seeing as it is, in Alucard's words, "a creature of chaos" after all.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »
Also, technically "demon" and "devil" are two completely different words. A devil is a malicious slanderer or foe, whereas a demon is a spirit or lesser god. Seeing as how Dracula wasn't actually up to any real no-good and the castle is indeed populated by spirits, Demon Castle is the better name. The problem is Japanese took from "modern" English, which erased any distinction between demons and devils. So even in the Japanese language you'll see "akuma" used interchangeably. However, they are distinct terms which have been bastardized by the Church over the years. However, the title is indeed AKU-ma, which implies not just a demon but an evil demon. In some sects of Buddhism that may be an important distinction, because a spirit which causes suffering isn't necessarily evil ("onma"). And technically Satan in the modern passivist (huh, thought that was a real word... well it is now!) sense as the tempter would be a "bonnohma". In the strictest literal sense, the closest thing to "akuma" would be Ahriman, the god of chaos in Zoroastrianism. Perhaps a better translation for "akumajou" would be Fiend Castle or Fiendish Castle or Castle of Fiends, but none of those have a nice ring to them.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »
I've seen Akumajo Dracula officially translated from Japanese to English as Dracula's Satanic Castle. Demon Castle pretty much means the same thing but I think most offical translators probably would go with the latter because it's less religious sounding. So it comes down to personal preference.   

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »
I've seen Akumajo Dracula officially translated from Japanese to English as Dracula's Satanic Castle.

Where? D:
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »
I always refer it to as Demon Castle due to the 1999 story being called The Demon Castle Wars.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »
Where? D:

A Japanese licensed gamebook.  :)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:48:07 AM »
Noticed this before, too. I also thought it was weird how wikipedia switched over to just Devil's Castle Dracula.

I remember seeing the whole Dracula's Satanic Castle thing on the wikipedia entry for the first game. It said that Akumajo Dracula translated to either Demon Castle Dracula, or that.

I always just assumed that Demon Castle Dracula was the most widely accepted translation. But I have to admit, Devil's Castle sounds pretty awesome. Using a term like Satanic almost seems a little heavy-handed for the tone of the series though, at least to me.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
I like "Demon Castle". Goes nice with the whole "Creature of Chaos" thing and the castle is in fact filled with..well, demons. "Devil's Castle" would also imply that the castle isn't really Drac's. Besides, Devil's not in his element in CV; he's just a regular enemy that appears every now and then :)

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »
I use "Devil Castle". In almost all cases, I translate "Akuma" into "Devil".

And, "Devil's Castle" is "Akuma no Shiro" for me.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:45 AM »
I like "Demon Castle". Goes nice with the whole "Creature of Chaos" thing and the castle is in fact filled with..well, demons. "Devil's Castle" would also imply that the castle isn't really Drac's. Besides, Devil's not in his element in CV; he's just a regular enemy that appears every now and then :)

I always just imagined Dracula and the Devil as one and the same in the CV universe.

...which is why I was kind of baffled by the inclusion of Satan in Lords of Shadow, but that's for another topic I guess.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »
But Dracula isn't the devil, he's just evil. How many times have you beaten Dracula with Holy Water? And I don't mean when it hits him and shatters, which is 1 damage. I mean when it breaks open spewing holiness everywhere? He's pretty hard to defeat with that stuff.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:49:46 AM »
+1
Demon or Demonic Castle Dracula has a nice ring to it. how bout Devil's Demonic Castula Dracula

There are deities in the castle that predate the Christian Satan. Pazuzu, Erinys, Mushussu for instance.

Did AoS/DoS ever actually refer to the Demon Castle War (singular, not plural) as such? Or was it referred to as just the "Battle of 1999?"

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:12 AM »
+1
The "Dracula's Satanic Castle" bit is also found in the packaging of the European release of Vampire Killer. Frankly, it would've been hilarious had they stuck with that. It's so Hammer-esque.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
'Demon castle' for me.  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything