Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 49251 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2015, 03:34:20 AM »
Leave classicvania to Nintendo handhelds?

Why limit themselves when they can easily release digital copies on consoles and vita as well?

The worst monsters are human.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2015, 06:10:53 AM »
Leave classicvania to Nintendo handhelds?

Why limit themselves when they can easily release digital copies on consoles and vita as well?

The reason I say nintendo handhelds is because of new games released on the other platforms in the last few years:
Vita has had Dracula X: Chronicles
Wii has had CV: Adventure Rebirth
These games are great, but they've been few and far between, whereas Nintendo handhelds have been the most successful and consistent medium for classicvania from COTM>OOE. If other platforms could be used then by all means, Konami should use them.

No offense but with that logic, Konami should allow different divisions to create CV games while IGA create his own as well instead of handling the series to IGA all alone for 7 years from the very start. It's like saying that Tim Burton should allow to make his own Batman movies because he has his own hardcore fans while Christopher Nolan create the Dark Knight trilogy at the same time or Sam Raimi should allow to continue his Spiderman films while a Spiderman Reboot(The Amazing Spiderman 1&2) is in the works at the same time.  :P

Except your logic is flawed nobody currently gives a shit about Tim Burton's Batman films, where as 2D Castlevanias from the early to mid 2000's are absolutely outclassing their own games of the now. Christopher Nolan didn't shit on Batman's legacy now did he.

Also Nintendo did a similar thing with the Zelda series, creating a 'downfall timeline'(original timeline) to release Zelda ALBW, as well as several other games prior to this timeline being official and it's been great.

What's wrong with that logic? Just because IGA was in charge for the series for 7 years doesn't mean that people who also happen to like his games think that's a good thing. It might be more beneficial for Castlevania to become a meta-franchise. There are series who pulled this off very succesfully (Megami Tensei). Technically, there already exist three sub-franchises under the Castlevania name: the main branch of Castlevania which is the classic series, and two side-branches, the "Dracula X series" (SotN and its descendants) and the LoS series. Plus there's Kid Dracula and the Pachislot series, as well as numerous one-offs. At this point, Castlevania has diverted so much from the original series that they might as well embrace this concept.

Thank you Nagumo.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:15:05 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »
The reason I say nintendo handhelds is because of new games released on the other platforms in the last few years:
Vita has had Dracula X: Chronicles
Wii has had CV: Adventure Rebirth
These games are great, but they've been few and far between, whereas Nintendo handhelds have been the most successful and consistent medium for classicvania from COTM>OOE.

You're highlighting one of the mistakes Konami made. Cv was stuck on nintendo handhelds and what happened? It lost popularity and fell into the hands of new development. Clearly having games exclusively on Nintendo handhelds didn't help keep cv alive.

Cv should be on consoles and handhelds as cross buy/ cross save games.

The handheld exclusive model only makes sense with games the need touch screens. That's not cv. It's a road that they need not travel again.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
Christopher Nolan didn't shit on Batman's legacy now did he.

Yes he did unfortunately. The first film was awesome. No complaints there. The second film's issue was how the Joker character was treated; someone who suffers PTSD and preaches anarchy is how Nolan wanted his Joker to be. That is not the Joker's character. And the third film? Never bothered to see it. It was even worse for wear with that sorry excuse for Bane and his so-called relationship with Ras al Gul's Daughter  :P  But that's all for another topic. Anyways...

I agree with Nagumo and Belmontoya. CV should be more cross-platform accessible, and should also go back to being handled by more then simply one team. Prior to IGA taking over the series we got some great CV games from many different teams and they were all enjoyable in their own way. If one element of said game wasn't very enjoyable then you easily found another to latch onto.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
+1
You're highlighting one of the mistakes Konami made. Cv was stuck on nintendo handhelds and what happened? It lost popularity and fell into the hands of new development. Clearly having games exclusively on Nintendo handhelds didn't help keep cv alive.

Cv should be on consoles and handhelds as cross buy/ cross save games.

The handheld exclusive model only makes sense with games the need touch screens. That's not cv. It's a road that they need not travel again.

COTM>OOE = 2001>2008 = 7 Years
CVLOS>LOS2 = 2010-2014 = 4 Years

Yes, your logic makes a lot of sense.

I'm not arguing cross buy/ play for the last time... Jeebus.. What I'm saying is IF they're going to give it (Classicvania) to someone i.e. 1 developer, make it Nintendo.

Your touchscreen logic is pathetic. Everything has a touch screen these days, The CV DS games barely made us of the DS' touch screen and had great gameplay.

Furthermore, more and more people especially in Japan play mobile games, and the 3DS is still a great selling console over there, in fact Nintendo handhelds always have sold well world wide and this is known fact. Barely any people over the world own a Vita for eg compared to a 3DS.

Therefore if they want to reconnect with their hardcore (original) fan base they should do 2 things: make their older games available (all of them) and/ or remakes like Adventure Rebirth available on steam, and make new Metroidvanias/ Classicvanias for handheld console(s) that sell well, on whichever console sells well. Since these games generally arent high budget and they need to sell and since CV was always at its most popular among the hardcore fans (not the highest selling) and played best in 2d, a portable device is probably the best medium to be released on. (unless they go the Megaman 9 route)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »
Your touchscreen logic is pathetic. Everything has a touch screen these days, The CV DS games barely made us of the DS' touch screen and had great gameplay.

My point was that they didn't need to be on the DS exclusively because they didn't utilize the exclusive features of the DS. I was saying that porting those games to consoles would have worked easily and widened their market.

Therefore if they want to reconnect with their hardcore (original) fan base they should do 2 things: make their older games available (all of them) and/ or remakes like Adventure Rebirth available on steam, and make new Metroidvanias/ Classicvanias for handheld console(s) that sell well, on whichever console sells well. Since these games generally arent high budget and they need to sell and since CV was always at its most popular among the hardcore fans (not the highest selling) and played best in 2d, a portable device is probably the best medium to be released on. (unless they go the Megaman 9 route)

I agree that all of the past classic CV games should be on steam. They should also be on PS store, Nintendo Eshop and Xbox arcade. They should be on all platforms.

I've been a die hard CV fan since the late 80's. How long have you been a CV fan? Are you suggesting that hardcore fans are the fans of the GBA and DS Castlevania era? They were good games and the DS was great, but your dreaming if you think that is the essence of hardcore fans. Castlevania goes a little deeper than that my friend.

Going portable exclusively for the sake of a cheap release and high profit is dated thinking unless you're thinking mobile phone gaming. A new Castlevania game (a good game, not HOD or MOF) would thrive as a digital release on major consoles. There are indie games doing it and making it look easy. Why do you think konami would have to pigeon hole Castlevania on to handhelds like 3DS when they can just as easily release it on consoles? Not that I have to do it, but I'll just cite the most successful metroidvania CV of all time... SOTN. And what platform was that on again? Oh yeah, the friggin Playstation. Not a handheld, and not Nintendo. So you're suggesting this Nintendo handheld idea as financial sound when all it has yielded konami thus far is their lowest selling Castlevanias? And my logic is pathetic?

Konami's biggest mistake has been the thinking that a console CV has to be high budget 3D epicness. All the consoles have gotten is half ass throwbacks like adventure rebirth, and shit piles like HOD and MOF. Konami needs to take the 2d action adventure genre (that CV spear headed in it's heyday) seriously again. And they need to make it available to everyone. Not just nintendo handheld owners.

I'm not saying releasing another Castlevania on 3DS is a bad idea. I'm saying the idea of doing it exclusively is. It doesn't make it more "hardcore" to put it on 3DS. It makes available to fewer gamers. That is pathetic logic.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:39:50 PM by Belmontoya »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
+1
My point was that they didn't need to be on the DS exclusively because they didn't utilize the exclusive features of the DS. I was saying that porting those games to consoles would have worked easily and widened their market.

Yes it would have, but you're not reading the post as it was written. Last time I'm going to say IF it had to be for one initial console and made on a budget, make it initially for 3ds. Hell make it for iPhone, but it probably won't sell well because the controls would suck ass.

I agree that all of the past classic CV games should be on steam. They should also be on PS store, Nintendo Eshop and Xbox arcade. They should be on all platforms.

Not disagreeing.

I've been a die hard CV fan since the late 80's. How long have you been a CV fan? Are you suggesting that hardcore fans are the fans of the GBA and DS Castlevania era? They were good games and the DS was great, but your dreaming if you think that is the essence of hardcore fans. Castlevania goes a little deeper than that my friend.

I've been a CV fan since CV 1 on the NES. There are many things I could say but I'll stick to the subject.. What I'm saying is that the Metroidvanias for the longest time until the likes of a new game like CV: Adventure Rebirth kept the classic series alive.

The GBA>DS series kept alive part of what was the SOTN era which evolved from the classics. Maybe successful unsuccessful but at the time the original series still had its own identity and wasn't facing the inevitable death that it is today.

Don't act all holier than thou and try to push your BS on me, I never mentioned hardcore CV 'essence' once in my post, every fan is different. I personally like OOE and Simon's Quest (but then I always liked Megaman 2 more than Megaman 1) and still have respect for the more classic CV games of which Dracula XX is my favourite. Some people believe these games/are aren't sound, this doesn't make me less of a 'die hard' CV fan than anyone else. You can dismount your high horse now Gabriel.

Also we're not friends so kindly desist with the formalities.

Going portable exclusively for the sake of a cheap release and high profit is dated thinking unless you're thinking mobile phone gaming. A new Castlevania game (a good game, not HOD or MOF) would thrive as a digital release on major consoles. There are indie games doing it and making it look easy. Why do you think konami would have to pigeon hole Castlevania on to handhelds like 3DS when they can just as easily release it on consoles?

This was covered in the first part of my reply

Not that I have to do it, but I'll just cite the most successful metroidvania CV of all time... SOTN. And what platform was that on again? Oh yeah, the friggin Playstation. Not a handheld, and not Nintendo.

Really?? No shit, what about financial success though? What was the budget like on developing SOTN compared GBA/DS titles?
What were there final profit margins at the end of the day? Do you work for Konami, can you enlighten us?
SOTN was first released in 1997, how long was its production and how long did Konami create copies of the game worldwide for? But SOTN didn't sell physical copies until 2008, the newer CV games did this.

If anything SOTN was hard to find because not enough copies were made, and in this sense I agree, these titles (as SOTN is) should be on multiple platforms; PSN, XBL, etc.

Most successful Metroidvania? Sure, but CV's spirit was kept alive because new games were being released, and it wasn't due to LOI or COD, the classic series was alive on the handhelds, that's what I'm saying. Konami need not repeat this, but there's slim to nil chances of getting a new Classicvania or Metroidvania on a console without it just being a low budget DLC game, i.e. your disliked CV Adventure Rebirth.

So you're suggesting this Nintendo handheld idea as financial sound when all it has yielded konami thus far is their lowest selling Castlevanias?
I'm not suggesting it's financially anything, I'm suggesting the classic series was kept alive doing this in the past, 8 years compared to the high budget LOS' 4 years which ended terribly.
Financially unsuccessful maybe, but it was still a presence and the handheld series were a force to be reckoned with. They were still some of the best platformers to do what they did at the time. They should have just been more accessible to people with consoles and other handhelds.
In $ figure terms (by your logic) LOS>>>>SOTN due to its "success", but you don't see Konami making another LOS, because it's been tried, tested and failed. LOS2 sold less than its predecessor and they thought it would sell better.
Financial success is great, but bottom line = If you take away what made the series Castlevania then you really have nothing.

And my logic is pathetic?

Mobile gaming could actually work if there was a way to have decent controls, but I've never seen a classic CV style game successfully execute it.

Konami's biggest mistake has been the thinking that a console CV has to be high budget 3D epicness.

Exactly, I'm not disagreeing with this. High budget and 3D LOS (especially MOF>LOS2) effectively killed what made the original series great.

All the consoles have gotten is half ass throwbacks like adventure rebirth, and shit piles like HOD and MOF. Konami needs to take the 2d action adventure genre (that CV spear headed in it's heyday) seriously again. And they need to make it available to everyone. Not just nintendo handheld owners.
Adventure Rebirth was a sound game imo.
Not saying it has to be one console, read the first part of my reply.

I'm not saying releasing another Castlevania on 3DS is a bad idea. I'm saying the idea of doing it exclusively is. It doesn't make it more "hardcore" to put it on 3DS. It makes available to fewer gamers. That is pathetic logic.

Read the first part of my post, NOT saying it has to be one platform at all. I'm saying if history repeats itself and they decide on this, 3DS should be it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:20:49 PM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
Castlevania was never stuck on Nintendo handhelds. Did you mean 2D Castlevanias?

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »
+1
Well no I don't. It lives on in the influences of many different games from inspired devs who played the games as children. Just look at Specter Knight from the game Shovel Knight. Specter Knight practically screams Death from the Castlevania games, his whole stage right down to the music. As long as indie game devs exist, Castlevania will live on in one form or another the same way Megaman lives on in Mighty No 9.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:59:47 AM by Johnny »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
are you just autistic or what
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
Castlevania was never stuck on Nintendo handhelds. Did you mean 2D Castlevanias?

Yes. Sorry, I should have specified that!

Ouch, what sharp teeth you have. Well I guess if we're not friends :-( then I'll desist from polite formalities for the sake of a fun debate. The concept of friendly debating seems beyond you anyways. You seem to relish in insulting the "logic" of others like Shinobi and myself.

Yes it would have, but you're not reading the post as it was written. Last time I'm going to say IF it had to be for one initial console and made on a budget, make it initially for 3ds. Hell make it for iPhone, but it probably won't sell well because the controls would suck ass.

IF it had to be for one initial console, and on a budget you think it should be on 3ds? Why? So less people can have access to purchasing it? So extra money can be spent on a 3d feature that most people won't use? And that makes more "budget" sense than putting it out digitally on consoles how? You're idea is shit. Deal with it.

We're at a point in modern gaming where it doesn't make sense for a game to be exclusively on a handheld unless it's something that is made specifically to utilize the hardware like dual touch screens, or whatever. Castlevania isn't exactly a game that screams a need for such hardware. There's no reason to keep any future game off of consoles.

Don't act all holier than thou and try to push your BS on me, I never mentioned hardcore CV 'essence' once in my post, every fan is different. I personally like OOE and Simon's Quest (but then I always liked Megaman 2 more than Megaman 1) and still have respect for the more classic CV games of which Dracula XX is my favourite. Some people believe these games/are aren't sound, this doesn't make me less of a 'die hard' CV fan than anyone else. You can dismount your high horse now Gabriel.

Wow man. First let me say that I don't consider you any less of a fan for preferring the metroidvania style. All that I asked was how long you had been a fan. How is that acting "holier than thou"? It's an important question when dealing with someone who thinks that "hardcore" fans must all want metriodvanias. I've been playing the game since CV1 as well. It was the first game I ever owned. I played them and collected them consistently my whole life as they were released. I picked up SOTN the day it came out. My thoughts on it were that it was a great game, but not Castlevania in the classic sense that I knew and loved it. If you've been a fan for as long as you say you have, then you should be able to at least respect and understand my opinion on that. You say you respect it, but then you follow it up with more abrasiveness. I got a good chuckle out of the "You can dismount your high horse now, Gabriel". Are you fucking serious? Do you think I'm some sort of LOS fanboy? I make praise for the first LOS game and that is all. I've spent a lot of time on this forum ripping on the other two.

Really?? No shit, what about financial success though? What was the budget like on developing SOTN compared GBA/DS titles?
What were there final profit margins at the end of the day? Do you work for Konami, can you enlighten us?
SOTN was first released in 1997, how long was its production and how long did Konami create copies of the game worldwide for? But SOTN didn't sell physical copies until 2008, the newer CV games did this.

If anything SOTN was hard to find because not enough copies were made, and in this sense I agree, these titles (as SOTN is) should be on multiple platforms; PSN, XBL, etc.

It was obviously a financial success. It was a slow burn in the US granted, but about a year after it's release it was re-released as a playstation greatest hits title and did well and better. It was not hard to find at all at the time. I remember seeing it everywhere. I would assume that a hardcore fan would know that.

Most successful Metroidvania? Sure, but CV's spirit was kept alive because new games were being released, and it wasn't due to LOI or COD, the classic series was alive on the handhelds, that's what I'm saying.

Metroidvanias are not the classic part of the series. The classic series was dead at that time. That is what happened on top of CV in general slipping further and further into obscurity. It wasn't as much being alive as it was being in a coma with the same recurring SOTN dream over and over again for nearly a decade.

I'm not suggesting it's financially anything, I'm suggesting the classic series was kept alive doing this in the past, 8 years compared to the high budget LOS' 4 years which ended terribly.

Yes, you were speaking of exclusivity to 3ds in financial terms because one of your reasons for it was "budget".

Read the first part of my post, NOT saying it has to be one platform at all. I'm saying if history repeats itself and they decide on this, 3DS should be it.

You said "IF" it has to be on one console. I was responding to your hypothetical solution to a hypothetical situation.

SOTN did great. Konami made more like that. Slowly it failed. LOS did great. Konami did more like that, and it failed again.

If history actually repeats itself, they'll try something different with the series. Not another failed model. That's what I'm rooting for. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's something like a classicvania. That model deserves an updated shot. If anything, because it is the original and truest form of Castlevania. The series' identity is suffering. They need to bring it back to their roots. They also need to make it available on many platforms because that's what video game companies do nowadays that aren't Nintendo.

I know where you're coming from man, and I respect your love of the series and the metroidvania facet. You should know that I love some of those games as well. I'm not trying to rain on your dream of new metroidvania. I'm just voicing where I come from on that and what I want. I think the idea of 3ds only in any situation is shit, but we don't have to beat that horse anymore.

Ironically I'm involved in a new metriodvania fan game. So of course I love them as well. That's just not what I personally want from konami next.

And by the way, there are a ton of Tim Burton Batman fans out there. They're called generation X.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
CV dead? I don't think so in the long run, but Konami does have a history of kind of dropping IPs (Gradius, Goemon, Contra) and doing nothing with them for a while. I mean heck, their current cash cow, MGS was dormant for 8 years between MG2:SS and MGS. I imagine they'll let it stew for a bit before releasing another one.

Though realistically I'm unsure of Konami's future with 3D titles since Kojima was "let go" or the Silent Hills project (seriously, P.T. was freakin' amazing for scares). So for the direction the series will take, I don't know and can't even begin to imagine. I imagine budgets will get tighter at Konami and I'm afraid that may cause any future Castlevania games we receive to be nothing more than a quick cash grab with a sub-par product.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
+1
are you just autistic or what
Nice comment...
Unless you have something to contribute, I'm not interested.

Ouch, what sharp teeth you have. Well I guess if we're not friends :-( then I'll desist from polite formalities for the sake of a fun debate.

I'm not being cruel, I'm just being honest, we don't know one another.

The concept of friendly debating seems beyond you anyways. You seem to relish in insulting the "logic" of others like Shinobi and myself.

Well now you you just sound butt hurt and throwing slander at me for a series of comments you can't respond to.. Are you mad ?

IF it had to be for one initial console, and on a budget you think it should be on 3ds? Why? So less people can have access to purchasing it?

No, because a lot of people own 3DS, it's a high selling console, and at the end of the day unless it's a game that's released on steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendoshop it will have a good chance of gaining interest and popularity as 2d Castlevanias have in the past on a handheld console. Again if it was going to be released on ALL those mediums, then by all means.

So extra money can be spent on a 3d feature that most people won't use? And that makes more "budget" sense than putting it out digitally on consoles how?

Don't put the 3D feature in, simple.

You're idea is shit. Deal with it.
Blah blah blah is all I'm hearing.
Your grammar sucks, nobody can deal with that but you.

We're at a point in modern gaming where it doesn't make sense for a game to be exclusively on a handheld unless it's something that is made specifically to utilize the hardware like dual touch screens, or whatever.
Castlevania isn't exactly a game that screams a need for such hardware.

Actually there is, having the map/ stats on screen 1 and the gameplay on screen 2 works really nicely, that was a big selling point of just how well the DS versions worked. It wasn't about a touchscreen at all. Given multi-platform release, this could be an exclusive to 3DS(or 2DS) functionality.

There's no reason to keep any future game off of consoles.

Again you keep persisting with this when I've never said otherwise. It would be great if every game was available on every console/platform, but it doesn't always pan out this way.

Wow man. First let me say that I don't consider you any less of a fan for preferring the metroidvania style. All that I asked was how long you had been a fan. How is that acting "holier than thou"? It's an important question when dealing with someone who thinks that "hardcore" fans must all want metriodvanias. I've been playing the game since CV1 as well. It was the first game I ever owned. I played them and collected them consistently my whole life as they were released. I picked up SOTN the day it came out. My thoughts on it were that it was a great game, but not Castlevania in the classic sense that I knew and loved it. If you've been a fan for as long as you say you have, then you should be able to at least respect and understand my opinion on that.

It isn't a classic castlevania, not in the true sense of how it used to be before SOTN. It just evolved into SOTN with the addition of RPG elements.

You say you respect it, but then you follow it up with more abrasiveness. I got a good chuckle out of the "You can dismount your high horse now, Gabriel".

Glad you did.

Are you fucking serious? Do you think I'm some sort of LOS fanboy? I make praise for the first LOS game and that is all. I've spent a lot of time on this forum ripping on the other two.

I never explicitly pegged you as a LOS fanboy. The Gabriel part had nothing to do with LOS btw, it was the only game I could remember playing as a Belmont while physically riding on horseback.

It was obviously a financial success. It was a slow burn in the US granted, but about a year after it's release it was re-released as a playstation greatest hits title and did well and better.

Where are your sales figures and profit margins for these periods of time? Come one Mr Konami, you shouldn't debate purely on your opinions, when trying to prove numbers... Give me something we can use!

It was not hard to find at all at the time. I remember seeing it everywhere. I would assume that a hardcore fan would know that.

Maybe in the US and Europe it was available and very common, but I don't live in the US/ Europe and I can tell you I really had to look for SOTN.

Metroidvanias are not the classic part of the series. The classic series was dead at that time. That is what happened on top of CV in general slipping further and further into obscurity. It wasn't as much being alive as it was being in a coma with the same recurring SOTN dream over and over again for nearly a decade.

MV is an evolution of CV. It's not a disjointed limb, believe it or not it IS what the 2D franchise evolved into.
They had done the pure classics to death at the time, it needed to turn into something else and that something happened to be Super Metroid.

Yes, you were speaking of exclusivity to 3ds in financial terms because one of your reasons for it was "budget".

You said "IF" it has to be on one console. I was responding to your hypothetical solution to a hypothetical situation.

SOTN did great. Konami made more like that. Slowly it failed. LOS did great. Konami did more like that, and it failed again.
Glad that was cleared up...

If history actually repeats itself, they'll try something different with the series. Not another failed model. That's what I'm rooting for. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's something like a classicvania. That model deserves an updated shot. If anything, because it is the original and truest form of Castlevania. The series' identity is suffering. They need to bring it back to their roots. They also need to make it available on many platforms because that's what video game companies do nowadays that aren't Nintendo.
Well I love Classicvania and Metroidvania but I'd personally be keen on something which is more classic with a higher difficulty and I do believe this is more what CV's spirit is truly about.

I know where you're coming from man, and I respect your love of the series and the metroidvania facet. You should know that I love some of those games as well. I'm not trying to rain on your dream of new metroidvania. I'm just voicing where I come from on that and what I want. I think the idea of 3ds only in any situation is shit, but we don't have to beat that horse anymore.
Horse analogies, gotta love it.

Ironically I'm involved in a new metriodvania fan game. So of course I love them as well. That's just not what I personally want from konami next.
At this point, it couldn't be worse than LOS.

At the end of the day, I respect your position as a CV fan. I will say that as fans people can be very serious about their gaming,  especially CV. But it's important to laugh and have hope that the series will live on via other games if not through itself.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:52:40 PM by zangetsu468 »

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »
Ease up a little, zangetsu. Even if folks don't literally know each other, this is a friendly forum and it's often just basic etiquette to say stuff like "my friend" and all that. I do it myself, even to new folks or people I don't know, to make 'em feel at ease. No harm meant by it, so don't act like harm is meant by it. And do try to be a little less abrasive; this forum generally tries to be more laid back rather than hardcore 'shark tank' debating. The same applies to the other people here as well, though--don't call other users "autistic" (that's offensive) or call people's opinions shit (that's not just profane but also lazy argumentation).

Not comin down hard on anybody here, just givin some friendly reminders :)

Back to the subject of the thread...I honestly think Castlevania is dead. BUT! It might be revived someday, too. It's been a very long time since I've heard anything official from Konami about it. What was the last thing we had after LOS2, some pachinko thing? But who knows, maybe they'll make a remake or revival of the series, the same way Drac always comes back ;)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2015, 12:30:17 AM »
Even if folks don't literally know each other, this is a friendly forum and it's often just basic etiquette to say stuff like "my friend" and all that. I do it myself, even to new folks or people I don't know, to make 'em feel at ease.

Is this why Shiroi Koumori occasionally calls me sweety?  :-[
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: