Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 48800 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:50 AM »
Realistically, I don't think a series as well-known as Castlevania will ever be dead. They might put it in limbo for a while, only for a revival later on down the road. I'm just wondering the when and the how of the next game.

To compare, I wouldn't even really call a franchise like Double Dragon dead, and it's definitely in worse shape. Sure, Neon was good, but the series is practically relegated to mobile gaming right now. I'm glad that hasn't happened to CV yet.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 01:59:38 AM »
We were in a similar situation before LoS came out/was announced. OoE was released some time ago.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »
It's not dead but sleeping. Someone stuck a Crissagrim in it. So maybe when it wakes up it will be old or vintage (classic) and then after some flash backs and some upgrades it will explore (MV) to find a way to be truly dead. If that doesn't suit it too well maybe it will reunite with some family members and children and do some fighting amongst themselves (nah that's been done and right shitty at that). In all seriousness, no the series will never be put permanently on the shelf too much interest. Sad that the two main incarnations (Classic and Metroid) are what the fans want and not seem to be getting. I mean its not like returning to one's roots has proven a success (cough Mortal Kombat 9 and X cough, cough) yeah going backwards never works. Now time reverse!
Such a great series, such an abused child.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Do you think Castlevania is dead?
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
Is the franchise dead? Doubt it. Konami is probably just taking a break from it for a while. Personally, I think going back to a metroidvania style game could be a good idea. Just don't have it spend the entire game in the castle and don't have any leveling up. Just have different equipment of varying strengths and effects.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Too bad we don't have a mirror of fate to show us the destiny of the franchise (ha ha ha).
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
"The future of the Castlevania series"? "Castlevania in 2015"? I think we've done this already.

There isn't to much to add to what we've already said. Castlevania is in a particularly bad position right now - MercurySteam's reboot was a relative failure, and Konami doesn't seem too keen on keeping the franchise alive.

Will we see another Castlevania game? I don't doubt it. When will that be? Who knows. It could be next month, or it could be three, four years from now. We could also get a surprise announcement tomorrow. It's useless to speculate at this point.

I wouldn't set any "guidelines" for future CV stories. As long as the next plot is tastefully done, I doubt anyone will complain, so there's really no need for any more "Konami better just give us a bare-bones Belmont vs. Dracula next time" rhetoric. I've actually grown a bit tired of that - a well-written, fleshed-out story never hurt anyone.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
I want to say Castlevania is too big of a name to let it fall to the wayside, but then again...Mega Man and Capcom...

I don't think the series is dead though, just waiting to see what to do next. Hopefully in 2d format.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »
2015: MGSV: TPP
2016: Silent Hills
2017: MGR2

It's possible that Konami can squeeze in a small Castlevania title in between those years. If not, the next Castlevania game will be a 2018 game.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
MercurySteam's reboot was a relative failure...

I will start off by saying I'm really not looking for an argument. Ive grown so damn tired of LoS arguments...

But can you please explain what you mean by this? A failure in regards to what?

and Konami doesn't seem too keen on keeping the franchise alive.

In the last five years we've had...

Harmony of Despair for the 360.
       PSN a year later.
Lords of Shadow
       Resurrection DLC
       Reverie DLC
       Later Released for PC
Mirror of Fate for 3Ds.
       Later released for consoles.
       Later released for PC
Lords of Shadow 2
       Revelations DLC
       (This was almost exactly a year ago. Half a year in Japan.)
Spin offs like EotN, Pachislots 2 and 3
Original Castlevania Released for 3DS
       Later Released for WiiU
Simons Quest Release for WiiU and 3DS
The Adventure Release for 3DS
Draculas Curse for WiiU and 3DS
Super Castlevania 4 for the WiiU
Rondo of Blood for Wii
Circle of the Moon for WiiU
Harmony of Dissonance for WiiU
Aria of Sorrow for WiiU
Lament of Innocence for PSN

Are you a troll? Or did I misunderstand?

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
To be fair, a lot of that is just digital re-releases of older games. I bought the SNES Dracula X for Wii U last week though. I wish the Adventure Rebirth would come to 3ds.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
but then again...Mega Man and Capcom...
Capcom's also retarded.

Even Sega knows to stick to their prize franchise regardless of ups and downs, and they are pretty stupid too.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
I will start off by saying I'm really not looking for an argument. Ive grown so damn tired of LoS arguments...

But can you please explain what you mean by this? A failure in regards to what?
Lords of Shadow 2 came off as a disappointment to many and underperformed critically. It also sold less than Lords of Shadow. In Konami's terms, that qualifies as a "relative failure".

I'm not trying to start a discussion about how good the games were. I actually rather liked the first one.

IMO, re-releasing older games on Virtual Console and PSN doesn't really count as "keeping the series alive". Konami and Capcom keep re-releasing classic Metroid and Mega Man titles on newer platforms, for example. I wouldn't exactly describe either franchise as "alive".

Still, no one knows what Konami is planning for the series. Maybe they're already hard at work on a new CV title. It's all speculation at the moment.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
There isn't to much to add to what we've already said. 

This is true and a bit frustrating. I think the amount of discussion has greatly declined as of late. Even during "droughts" with no new new game it wasn't as bad as it it's now.

I wouldn't set any "guidelines" for future CV stories. As long as the next plot is tastefully done, I doubt anyone will complain, so there's really no need for any more "Konami better just give us a bare-bones Belmont vs. Dracula next time" rhetoric. I've actually grown a bit tired of that - a well-written, fleshed-out story never hurt anyone.

That's an interesting topic to talk about, but most people are indeed like "Castlevania doesn't need anymore than Belmont vs. Dracula" or "I don't care about story in Castlevania", which always dampens the discussion a bit. I've been thinking about this, and a good story would probably require expanding the lore somehow. There currently isn't much material to work with. Also, the way the overarching storyline is set up is always a bit constraining. You can bring back Dracula and seal him away again so many times before it gets dull.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
You can bring back Dracula and seal him away again so many times before it gets dull.
This part wouldn't bother me if the games are actually fun. I never had a problem with the story in this series having a simple formula like that.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
This part wouldn't bother me if the games are actually fun. I never had a problem with the story in this series having a simple formula like that.

Neither have I for that matter because that's what Castlevania is to me. If Konami wants to add some more spice to CV by bringing in some other major villains that's fine. But if the major villain is Dracula then we need to have a Belmont in there to clean house, and not some random sword-wielding hero who isn't a Belmont they just cooked up for that one game.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
Actually, I don't think they should get rid of Dracula either. What I'm trying to say is, the way the story is always set up, it's always: "Dracula comes back, gets defeated, rinse and repeat". It's become a bit of a cliche that people light heartily make fun of. Perhaps they should try to step out of that mindset. Perhaps don't kill him off immediately or better, first focus on creating a good standalone story before thinking of turning it into a 1,000 year spanning epic. I think the Belmont vs. Dracula feud by itself is too meager to carry a good story. I'm not saying they should get rid of it, but they shouldn't have the conflict be soley about that alone. That's why I said they should add more lore to the series.

Then again, the last time they added more lore we got Satan, so....

Tags:

anything