Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 49267 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:13 AM »
I think it's time for either Death or Galamoth to become the big bad(s) of Castlevania.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:45 AM »
I like the term preparing for an awakening instead of dead.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Do you think Castlevania is dead?
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
I think if the franchise continues, it should be rebooted again with a fresh storyline. Dracula is of course the main antagonist, but the Belmonts shouldn't be the only heroes. There should be others such as Alucard and others such as mages (like the Belnades family), etc. The Belmonts would still be the supreme vampire hunters, but they shouldn't be the only ones who can fight and beat Dracula.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:38 AM »
Lords of Shadow 2 came off as a disappointment to many and underperformed critically. It also sold less than Lords of Shadow. In Konami's terms, that qualifies as a "relative failure".
You didn't say "Lords of shadow 2 was a relative failure."
You said
"MercurySteam's reboot was a relative failure."
Don't know if it was a mistake on your part or if you're being deceiving on purpose.

IMO, re-releasing older games on Virtual Console and PSN doesn't really count as "keeping the series alive"

What does it mean to 'Keep a series alive' if releasing new titles consistently and re-releasing older ones does't count?

Don't just dismiss re-releases as unimportant. It shows Konami still cares about the franchise. Keeping all titles stuck in their original devices doesn't make money and certainly doesn't make people more interested in the series. Not everyone played Circle of the Moon back in 2001.

"Konami and Capcom keep re-releasing classic Metroid and Mega Man titles on newer platforms, for example. I wouldn't exactly describe either franchise as "alive".
They haven't had a major release in years. We got a new Castlevania last year, Japan a few months ago, like i said previously.

In your first post you said Konami does't feel like keeping the series alive despite all the evidence to the contrary, that includes re-releases, new games every other year and big numbers as far as sales. So i ask you, What could Konami do to keep the series alive that they aren't already doing?

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »
You know, the thought of a 2D Castlevania on mobile devices is starting to look pretty sweet now. Im not even im not even opposed to the possibility anymore. Just as long as we get a new 2D Castlevania game, im sure I and many other fans will flock to it.

Plus, people did buy Harmony of Despair after all.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »
I think if the franchise continues, it should be rebooted again with a fresh storyline. Dracula is of course the main antagonist, but the Belmonts shouldn't be the only heroes. There should be others such as Alucard and others such as mages (like the Belnades family), etc. The Belmonts would still be the supreme vampire hunters, but they shouldn't be the only ones who can fight and beat Dracula.

IGA made CV games like that already and the problems that I feel with them is that it detracts from the importance of the role of the Belmont family. I have no problems with other heroes in a CV game so long as they are with a Belmont. Like it was with CV 3. But if you have a non Belmont hero going against Dracula then it takes away the importance of the Belmonts and soon anybody can kill the Count. It has been mentioned in several story dialogs that others who weren't Belmonts have always been defeated by Dracula, but a Belmont never has. No one else but a Belmont has the mystical blood flowing in them nor do they carry the Vampirekiller. And Since Dracula is the King of Vampires and is the most powerful and influential vampire to ever exist then it makes sense to have a family of mystical heroes to bring him down. That's how the series on a whole is and it just wouldn't be Castlevania otherwise. If people want other heroes then a CV gaiden game can be made starring other heroes who aren't Belmonts going up against other major baddies. But on the whole the main CV story is Belmonts Vs Dracula.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
You know, the thought of a 2D Castlevania on mobile devices is starting to look pretty sweet now. Im not even im not even opposed to the possibility anymore. Just as long as we get a new 2D Castlevania game, im sure I and many other fans will flock to it.

If that is what it takes for a 2D Castlevania renaissance then I would be all for it. I think a game with DS quality assets but with touch controls would be pretty sweet on a tablet.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Ahhh yes.. Castlevania Mobile!

The wondrous Order of Shadows... and Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of The Night!

In all seriousness, the puzzle game is actually pretty fun.

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
To be fair, Order of Shadows came out at a time where moblie games still looked like they belong on a flip phone. Nowadays mobile games are getting straight up console quality titles (amidst all of the Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, and Candy Crush type shovelware games). Im sure if given another shot a mobile Castlevania could do very well.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
No thank you.

I would be pretty upset if we got a legit 2D Castlevania on mobile platforms before the 3DS.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
i think the game that will benefit the most from mobile is dawn of Sorrow for obvious reasons. most of us half either iphone or android/samsung galaxy or whatever anyway. if they wre to port dawn for like $4.99 then am pretty sure a lot of us will buy it, not just for nostalgia but to support Konami and dawn is genuinly a fun game to play

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
There was a Java port of Dawn made way back. I still have it on my Java phone.
And yeah, I would buy Dawn if they port it to the ios/android... and that would make it my 4th copy. hahahaha.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
Konami could easily do a HD port of LoI/CoD, but I guess it's too late for PS3/X360.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
To be fair, Order of Shadows came out at a time where moblie games still looked like they belong on a flip phone. Nowadays mobile games are getting straight up console quality titles (amidst all of the Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, and Candy Crush type shovelware games). Im sure if given another shot a mobile Castlevania could do very well.

Also, most Castlevania clones nowadays seems to be released on Android/iOS. They always look and play pretty interestingly as well. There was this once called "Castle of Shadows" or something like that which a couple of interesting ideas and a good gothic art style. There's a world of difference between those kind of games and Order of Shadows.

Offline zaxiou

• Hunter in Training
  • Wrryyyyyy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:26 AM »
Why don't these knockoff castlevanias release on Steam? They'd get enough attention for Konami to at least consider making 2d CV again. :/

Tags: