Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Mercury Steam is at it again.  (Read 6860 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
Castlevania Adventure Rebirth?
Where does Harmony of Despair fit into this?  Gameplay-wise it's Castlevania's later iterations... just missing the plot and some other things.

Forgot about AR, it is classic Castlevania and did come out after OOE.

HD is mishmashing other games together and imo feels quite different from traditional classicvania/ Metroidvania. Agreed it has the gameplay but the formula of the game as in how stages etc are traversed is drastically different.
The best comparison I can make is between a legend of Zelda game, say A Link to The Past compared with Four Swords/ Four Swords Adventure, which is the same top down style of game but specifically meant to accommodate multiple players at one time.
In the end the 1 player experience of these games also differs drastically from the traditional pre-established style of said franchises' gameplay and pacing.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
So this was most likely the concept of the Metroid game that they pitched to Nintendo not too long ago.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »
My issue with equating both is that people are hailing Bloodstained the "new Castlevania" and forgetting Castlevania. Nothing can be Castlevania but Castlevania.

Bloodstained is not Castlevania. It may play like one, but fundamentally it's not one.

This mindset is dangerous to the Castlevania franchise and, even thought I'm the first on the line to throw dirt upon Konami's grave, I like Castlevania enough to consider it its own thing. By equating both, by hailing Bloodstained as "Castlevania's sucessor", we not only diminish Bloodstained's identity, but we kill Castlevania and its mythos.

I believe we must love Bloodstained by what it is, and not by what we want it to be. My love for Castlevania can't be replaced by Bloodstained.

I've said pretty much this same thing before. Plot twist is exactly right.

Calling Bloodstained the next CV is taking away from both IP's.

Let Bloodstained be Bloodstained and let CV be CV. Because no matter what you feel, that is the reality of the situation.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 09:50:03 PM »
I don't care about the makers and who they were; the polished quality of products in pre-NDS/NDS era games, and the serious attitude of makers or companies, all nowhere to found nowadays

I raised 40$ to the Bloodstained project when they kickstarter-ing only because I want to pay for 1) Castlevania Chronicles 2) The brilliant CV titles in the past - what IGA and the development team gave players, like me, in the golden times - the great treasures that never fade their color away by time. Other detailed situations, or what Bloodstained would become, or other things, in fact, I don't care about these things seriously.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
Thank Jesus, Allah and Buddha that it's a new IP and not an established franchise.

Now Contra can breath a sigh of relief...........as it suffocates in the bottom of Konami's HQ. :(

Heh, about that... I'll just repost this link here
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/29/spread-shot-phones-contra-reboot-coming-mobile-devices/

Tags:

anything