Poll

Which would you all prefer, straight up metal remixes or metal/orchestra mixes

Metal
2 (20%)
Metal/Orchestra
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: February 18, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Vamprotector OST - Metal vs Metal/Orchestra  (Read 10386 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Vamprotector OST - Metal vs Metal/Orchestra
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »
Hey folks i need your input.  As some of you may know, Darkman and I are both back on Vamprotector exclusively now, and in the BIG downtime we had since the last time we buckled down on this my recording methods have improved 10 fold, so with that said i'll be remastering the OST. 

So, with that said, which would you all prefer for the main theme of the OST:
Straight up metal remixes of the songs or metal/orchestra combo's?

To start this off, here's 2 examples:

Bloody Juncture (Metal)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dnjuhl7gecz45dj/Bloody_Juncture.mp3

Bloody Juncture (Metal/Orchestra)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ebfz51rn1j3tc2/Bloody_Juncture_orchestra.mp3

Any and all feedback is welcome and much appreciated guys!  ;D
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Vamprotector OST - Metal vs Metal/Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »
Bloody Juncture (Metal/Orchestra) hands down. It sounds more epic and more Castlevania-esque. I feel it invites you to explore the level more than the Metal version does. Don't know if this would be the case with the rest of the soundtrack.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
I feel symphonic metal works better. However, I think the mixing needs work as the backing guitar and drums over power the main melody.

EDIT: Scratch that, I listened to it more and it's fine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:24:33 PM by Briraka »

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas, keep it comin  8)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:30:22 AM »
Metal + orchestra all the way. Your production improved a lot, buddy!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:31:07 AM »
Metal + orchestra all the way. Your production improved a lot, buddy!
Thanks dude i appreciate it!!!  ;D it's due to improve even more over that as well, i recently picked up a new guitar VST called Bias FX that basically turns your PC into a swiss army knife for guitar amps and effects and it is NOYCE  8)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:53:07 AM »
FYI, I think I need to throw out some clarification on the poll, the theme of this game is not SOTN with it's musical cue's. It's definitely is inspired more by a traditional Contra title hence, the Metal Vs. Meta/Orchestra. Not to say that some tracks can contain orchestra spots in the songs. Hope that clears any confusion up!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
Here's another track for you guys, metal + orchestra as well:

"Fear Falls"
"Cross a Fear" from RoB + "Waterfall" from Contra

http://www.mediafire.com/file/giv5pu7ol3dcuxy/Fear_Falls.mp3

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
I'm honestly really torn.  I think I err on the side of the orchestral version though.  For me, I guess it all really depends on the mood of the level and if it is more Contra-esque or Castlevania-esque.  All the tracks in this thread so far are good in their own right and are actually some top-notch arranges.  Sidenote, you should do a remix album of Castlevania tracks and go through distrokid to publish that shit because your production skills have drastically improved.  I could make a few mixing critiques on levels but it's very, very minor nitpicky things.  Not that I am an expert on mixing anyway.

So, to summarize, why not give the player the option to do both straight metal and orchestral also?  But if I had to choose, I'd say orchestral.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
I'm honestly really torn.  I think I err on the side of the orchestral version though.  For me, I guess it all really depends on the mood of the level and if it is more Contra-esque or Castlevania-esque.  All the tracks in this thread so far are good in their own right and are actually some top-notch arranges.  Sidenote, you should do a remix album of Castlevania tracks and go through distrokid to publish that shit because your production skills have drastically improved.  I could make a few mixing critiques on levels but it's very, very minor nitpicky things.  Not that I am an expert on mixing anyway.

So, to summarize, why not give the player the option to do both straight metal and orchestral also?  But if I had to choose, I'd say orchestral.
Dude, THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT DISTROKID!! I'd never heard of it before but I'll be setting it up next weekend for sure!! As for the critiques, feel free dude, any and all input is welcome   8)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
I would suggest going stage by stage and letting the feel of each level dictate what style of music you use.

Nice work!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
I would suggest going stage by stage and letting the feel of each level dictate what style of music you use.

Nice work!
Thanks dude  8) i'm thinking about making some stages more orchestra influenced and some less, that way we get the best of both worlds  ;D

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
Thanks dude  8) i'm thinking about making some stages more orchestra influenced and some less, that way we get the best of both worlds  ;D

That sounds like a good idea. More aggressive/fast stages go heavier on the metal, while the calmer stages bring out the orchestral sound.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »
The metal/orch version just has so much more life to it and also fits castlevania style stuff so well anyhow. My vote is def for the metal/orch version.

However I also want to mention that mixing both style couldn't hurt at all. If you choose when and where to use each style it could really make the whole thing feel a lot more dynamic. I would use the metal/orch for say levels and general stuff but then go straight metal during intense action or boss fight for example.

Suggestions aside though just want to say how bitchin those example tracks you posted are and also that as an audio freak and fan of both styles the quality is amazing. Keep rockin dood :)
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
Honestly, I'd say tie it more to the environment of the stage itself, like say straight metal for ruined city landscapes, metal/orchestral for castle areas and stuff like that.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: