Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: This may sound like a odd request but...  (Read 23902 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: This may sound like a odd request but...
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
Honestly, though, Drac9, if you wouldn't come out swinging like that all the time, that would be greaaat.

Is that last part in a Bill Lumberg voice? ;p
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
Is that last part in a Bill Lumberg voice? ;p

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen my stapler for a while.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:49 AM »
Now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen my stapler for a while.

It got moved to utility basement B... Didn't you get that memo?

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 03:19:41 AM »
Welp.

Guess I'll just set the Dungeon on fire.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »
Welp.

Guess I'll just set the Dungeon on fire.

Squirrely guy, mumbles a lot.. (sets things on fire)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
Hee-hee, office space  ;D

Just nobody bring up the Federal @$$-pounding prison.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
Hee-hee, office space  ;D

Just nobody bring up the Federal @$$-pounding prison.

You either kick someone's ass on the first day, or become their bitch.. I never heard of these conjugal visits  :-X

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
I don't really have a problem with it. I mean I get it so it doesn't bother me if that is what people want to do. It is also super hard to prevent someone from using cheat engine to cheat in a game. I can't think of a single pc game aside from an online game with a server that cheat engine isn't able to work on. Even some games with a server are able to be cheated with that if the server has weak protection against it. One of the biggest problems is learning how to use cheat engine that well. The amount of time spent and the effort it takes you might as well just play the game lol. But if you learn it then it will always work on everything from that point forward.

Frown on cheating all you want but judging how a person wants to play is a wasted effort. What you find fun others will not and what others find fun you will not. There is nothing unethical about cheating either not unless it is directly effecting another person in an online game or you are actually making money by cheating some how again through some online function where what you do amounts to real world money some how.

No one bitched and screamed about how wrong it was when people popped in a game genie back in the day or an action replay or game shark. This is literally no different.

So on topic yes you can cheat in a fan game or any other pc game if you know how.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
Frown on cheating all you want but judging how a person wants to play is a wasted effort. What you find fun others will not and what others find fun you will not. There is nothing unethical about cheating either not unless it is directly effecting another person in an online game or you are actually making money by cheating some how again through some online function where what you do amounts to real world money some how.

No one bitched and screamed about how wrong it was when people popped in a game genie back in the day or an action replay or game shark. This is literally no different.

It's just as much a wasted effort to try and make anyone feel guilty about having problems with it.

Rigging up your car to drive on its side at an angle unnatural to all known understandings of physics and three-dimensional space while shooting sixty-foot flames out the sides might be hella fun for some (I'd pay to see that, actually), but that doesn't make the original manufacturers "wrong" for issuing a statement of "okay look that might be hella fun but we didn't build the car for that."

And no, it's not "literally" the same.

Game Genie or Shark or any of the others have selective modification of existing values and variables and only occasionally had "one code does everything" options. You wanted everything, most times you had to go in and turn on every single one you wanted individually.

Save file editing, the only real thing I've spoken out against, isn't quite the same thing. Sure, both give you stuff earlier and sequence break progression, but Genie codes weren't as likely to actually break or softlock the game unless you were fucking around with them without knowing what the assembly values in the codes themselves meant.

You edit the wrong number or put a value in a place order it isn't meant to be in an .ini file, you can render the game unplayable. In Game Genie, you're more likely to just screw up one or two specific values that particular code applies to than you are to lock-crash the whole thing.

What happens when someone decides to change up the .ini save file to get max everything and they put, say, a special move value earlier/later in the load list than it's supposed to be, or change a value to something the engine and code isn't set to check for (e.g. trying to set item amounts to 999 when the item lists' array values are hardcoded not to exceed 9 or 99)? The game now has values it isn't structured to account for (since the game would never otherwise accrue those kinds of values outside of file editing), and will softlock itself trying to load foreign and nonexistent variables and values every step of the call scripts. Or it will read that you have that endgame ability at the beginning and let you use it, until you try to save and exit the first time and the game no longer has the "acquisition of the actual item that gives the ability triggers the permanent switching-on of that ability's variable for that save file" trigger to tell itself you have it, and the game crashes when you try to next load that edited save file.

There's way more to the matter than simply "cheets coods r bad." And it isn't as if it's even remotely possible to write in code to account for any and all possible cheats and edits and hackings so that above lock-crashes are planned around.

No, I'm not a fan of file editing (outside of the aforementioned "you beat it proper the way it was intended, I don't care what you do from here" stipulation). Obviously, if this thread has made anything clear. But there's a whole slew of reasons aside from that I dislike it--most of which center around "oh look they went and rendered the game unplayable by fucking with the files" and the potential for a player to break everything and thus not be able to experience the game without having to reinstall/redownload. It'd be a different matter if every single potential player knew my exact coding style and variable/array/data structures and could edit everything without having to worry about breaking the structures' order...but that's never going to happen, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:05:50 AM by Dracula9 »

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
Who cares if they cause themselves to have to reinstall the game? You shouldn't it isn't your time. Not only that who alters files without making a copy of them first for those exact reasons? I just don't see the point of all that added stuff you are talking about beyond the fact they are cheating.

What I said is exactly the same as a game genie or game shark etc. You are altering values in memory with cheat engine while the game is running. With a game genie the code you could alter was different and there were also other limitations because this was a cartridge on a console not code being executed on a pc where the memory can be scanned and changed on the fly. I was talking mainly about using cheat engine not about altering save files or other files. Altering a file is just one more way to change a game but that method isn't always available where cheat engine is pretty much always going to work if you know how to use it. Hell I wouldn't even waste my time altering files any more simply because cheat engine is the easiest way for me to do what I want.

About cheating being wrong? I'm not trying to change any minds about it. I am just saying don't bother bringing it into this for that exact reason. People who cheat will cheat and people who want to play clean will do just that. But every time you mention cheats there seems to be this whole cheating is wrong argument.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 01:40:55 AM »
I'll thank you not to tell me what I should and shouldn't prioritize or care about.

And I'm sorry, but it's still not the same. You can make all the arguments for it you want. Genie edits in realtime, file editing does not. Genie can be toggled instantly or if something breaks, file editing cannot.

I appreciate that you're not trying to actively change minds on the moral quandry, but I'm not doing so either.

But there are more reasons it can be problematic, and 90% of the time nobody's gonna even think of those reasons unless they are, have been, or will be a developer. The mindset of development accounts for things users wouldn't even think about. It's not as black-and-white a matter as "it's a thing and it's morally subjective so just don't talk about it because that's all there is to it," and it never will be.

I feel a bit like Mance while Jon tries to convince him to kneel to Stannis here--"...but if you can’t understand why I won’t enlist my people in a foreigner’s war, there’s no point explaining." Just replace the "I don't want my people dying in someone else's war" concept with "I don't want my work to become unplayable because of someone else's impatience if I can protect it from that level of breakage."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:42:57 AM by Dracula9 »

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
I wasn't telling you what you should prioritize or whatever. But if that means anything to you then consider that you are also attempting to control others by limiting what they can and can't do once they install the game. Much like you don't like being told something other do not like to be told they cannot edit a file they now own. That logic of I don't want this to break because a user wants to experiment with it is exactly what apple has always done and you can find plenty of complaints about that. I never hear anyone complain because a platform is left open though.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
I wasn't telling you what you should prioritize or whatever. But if that means anything to you then consider that you are also attempting to control others by limiting what they can and can't do once they install the game. Much like you don't like being told something other do not like to be told they cannot edit a file they now own. That logic of I don't want this to break because a user wants to experiment with it is exactly what apple has always done and you can find plenty of complaints about that. I never hear anyone complain because a platform is left open though.

Rules are what makes a game. Someone who goes to the trouble of making a game tends to want the player to experience it the way they intended.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:14:03 PM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
+1

There's a difference between apple and Dracula9. First off, it goes without saying that nobody can enforce opinions on others, it takes two parties (or more) to come to a consensus, which if can't be reached then nothing will change.

Secondly the apple argument is null and void (and don't give us the whole "it's the principle" spiel). Apple is a business, one of the world's most famous and lucrative technological companies. People such as D9 are making fan games which are keeping some of the hardcore castlevania fans alive in an era where konami is completely ignoring and disrespecting their own franchise. These individuals are putting hundreds and thousands of hours into developing games which look as if they could've been professionally made and sold the way konami used to make and sell castlevania. But they're not, they're allowing people to experience them for free. These people do not owe the general public anything, they have given their time and skill set to the general public.     

There is no moral high ground for the gamer here. There is no personal gain for these developers other than to see a final product and allow games to be experienced by fans of the series.

On a personal note, one of the things I can't stand is people placing their expectations on another individual and saying "Sort it out!". No, if you placed the expectation their in the first place, then you sort it out by adjusting down your expectation-dial by a few notches. It's not someone else's problem.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
+1

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:13:23 AM by Dracula9 »

Tags: