Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Auto racing needs safer standards (warning, not for the feint of heart)  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Why oh why doesn't Indy racing have safer standards for their drivers, Dan Wheldon died (he was 32), and at 3:40 you can see the view from inside his car as it turns into a fireball. Not for the squeamish.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:15:26 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Auto racing needs safer standards (warning, not for the feint of heart)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
What gets me is how many people use words like 'shocking' or 'disbelief' when someone dies in an accident like this.  What's shocking or surprising abut someone getting hurt/killed while knowingly doing something that's very dangerous?

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »
Well, sure, you have a point, Opium, but it's not as if anybody gets into these racecars *expecting* to die. On a rational level people know these things happen, but on an emotional level it's still a gut punch. :/

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
If they'd just get rid of those gas powered engines and replace them with something much safer then the racers wouldn't have to worry about their cars turning into fireball deathtraps. I blame the big oil companies for every racer that dies due to such accidents.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »
That may sound cruel, but my comment on the subject is "if you can't stand the heat, get away from the kitchen".
Car racing is an EXTREMELY dangerous sport, and the car racers are fully aware that the possibility of getting killed for them is very high. Those people race at speeds over 150 mph. At those speeds, any collision might be deadly. You may talk about higher safety standards, but that's a minor. The sport itself is dangerous. That's no curling, you know.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
Try 225 MPH, and that was just for qualifying laps for pole position. F1 has put some safety measures in place, and there hasn't been a death since Ayrton Senna back in 1994, and in NASCAR since Dale Earnhardt Sr. back in 2001. These last two have put in plenty of safety measures, since then, not another death.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
If we look back to the history of racing, we'd actually find that it was far more dangerous  when they first started then as we see them now. Why? The automobile was still in its infancy and somewhat unstable. Also the tracks they built to race on were nothing more the nailed down wooded planks or 2x4s. The track would wear out very quickly causing wood splinters, missing planks and even rusty nails to stick out all over the place. And heaven help you if your fast, slightly unstable car hit one of those hazards  :-X You would be all over the track with serious road-rash, impalement by those splinters or or rusty nails (tetanus shots a-comin') and getting even more beat up by the on-coming racers. People would lose limbs and even there lives.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
If they'd just get rid of those gas powered engines and replace them with something much safer then the racers wouldn't have to worry about their cars turning into fireball deathtraps. I blame the big oil companies for every racer that dies due to such accidents.

Do you blame car manufacturers too for not adding protection to the car to keep it light? I doubt something much safer would have as much power, so you can be safe and last every time. It's a known thing, they enter it knowing the dangers, and if they didn't then they are fools. I hope this doesn't become something like Tom Brady's football where a brush is considered illegal contact or some other nonsense.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Do you blame car manufacturers too for not adding protection to the car to keep it light? I doubt something much safer would have as much power, so you can be safe and last every time.

In racing it's to be expected to have light vehicles cause they can accelerate faster in a short period of time. It's also why they're equipped with spoilers so they don't fly right off the track like an aircraft. In terms of power it is not necessary for a race. Racing is all about speed. You don't need power unless you intend to haul a heavy load.

It's a known thing, they enter it knowing the dangers, and if they didn't then they are fools.

I wholeheartedly agree. They take their lives into their own hands every single time they "fire up" those cars.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
In racing it's to be expected to have light vehicles cause they can accelerate faster in a short period of time. It's also why they're equipped with spoilers so they don't fly right off the track like an aircraft. In terms of power it is not necessary for a race. Racing is all about speed. You don't need power unless you intend to haul a heavy load.

That's what I meant when I said power.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
That's what I meant when I said power.

Ah okay  :)

Tags: