Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The game company apologist ("Companies Exist to Make Money" excuse)  (Read 16190 times)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: The game company apologist ("Companies Exist to Make Money" excuse)
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
Some really fascinating discussion here...while it's been a while since I played an FF game, I do have something to say about the article in Jorge's post. While the article *that* links back to is somewhat overblown (unethical videogame companies aren't exactly on the same level of harm as, say, unethical pharmaceutical companies), it raises fair points. However, I'd say that even if companies exist only to make money, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll abuse their consumers. I'm not the naive sort who believes that nice guys always finish first or that underhanded business strategies can never work, but some of the most moneygrubbing jerks in the industry have found themselves in dire straits as of late. Look at Zynga--run by a guy who once said, "I don't fucking want innovation," it started to slow down some in 2012, partially due to declining sales of its games. Bilking the consumer is not *necessarily* the best way to make money.

(BTW, Jorge, may I quote you, if necessary, in a blog post I hope to write soon? :D)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
I don't mind being quoted.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
So long as you cite him as Boy Jorge, Sex Kitten on the Prowl.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »
While the article *that* links back to is somewhat overblown (unethical videogame companies aren't exactly on the same level of harm as, say, unethical pharmaceutical companies), it raises fair points. However, I'd say that even if companies exist only to make money, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll abuse their consumers.

Yeah I don't think the argument intended to suggest that unethical game companies are as bad as an unethical pharmaceutical companies. But that doesn't mean it isn't still bad to treat your consumers as antagonistically and with as little respect as big companies like EA and Activision are often want to do. The existence of companies like Valve show that you can still make loads of cash without treating your customers like shit. Speaking of shit Jim Sterling (who wrote that original article) started off his video blog about this subject with a strange bit of poop-centered Dead Space fanfiction. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6814-Companies-Exist-To-Make-Money