Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Artist's Frustration!?  (Read 7663 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Artist's Frustration!?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »
I also should mention:

If you're going to get anything done, you're going to need focus.

I get SO much more done when I turn off the INTRAWEBS for the day. You should try it.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
In Reply To #16

I may just end up losing my mind.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »
yeah I cant live without the series of tubes I love so much. Even if Im NOT using it (which is very few and far between) its there and it comforts me. That and I need all my links to shit when Im modding.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
Oh, so familiar.
I doubt if I told it here, but I'm an artist too.
I write. I have two serious projects (books) I'm working on and I'm rarely satisfied with what I write. I always have the sensation that I don't write descriptively enough and have to add many pages of descriptions and dialouges that I don't find ultimately as all-so-interesting for a reader who seeks an adventure book, that is which my main projects are aimed at.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »
In Reply To #19

I have the same problem with my books, Freddy.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:14 AM »
In a lot of ways the new modern standard of writing is to say more with less. So if you can describe something similarly with less words, you've likely done a better job at writing.

Instead of:

"She peeled the dusty, tattered pages apart and marveled at the dark-red archaic print."

...you could go smaller with:

"Peeling the tattered book apart, she marveled at the ancient crimson glyphs."

Perhaps not the best example (and yes, that's Shanoa  ;D), but... In this case simply stating that the book is "tattered" will likely instill the image of it being old in the reader's mind anyway; thus dusty, worn... all that good stuff.

Give the reader credit. Try to get in their head and assume what they would feel at anytime when reading a sentence.

Less is more because you still achieve the imagery without losing the attention of your reader. This is why, despite the classic novels of the 19th century being very good, they can be so hard to read. They usually contain superfluous imagery; not to mention descriptions of things that're confusing to our times.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Patraw

• Dracula's door mat
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Mark's Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »
I think all artists get frustrated at some time or another with their work--the idea that everything just comes out painlessly is certainly a fairy tale.

Sometimes it's best to just close the book on a project and move on to something new, or, take a break from it for a while and come back to it after you've had some time away and can look at it again with a fresh perspective.

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
In Reply To #15

Hehe, same here. It's pretty sad. YOU KNOW WHAT?! I'M GONNA GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE! >:(

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »
I'm back, but I forgot what I was doing once I got off the computer, so I played Resident Evil 4 instead. Is that productive? :-\

Tags:

anything