Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Scariest version of XXXXXX?  (Read 8966 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »
I wanted to make a poll about which version of Dracula you think is the scariest. But after much consideration I will make this about all of the recurring bosses and in doing so there will be no poll, only your opinions based in list form. I want to know not only which version of the boss freaks you out but why and what are the determining factors. Music, room setting, atmosphere, time occurence, etc.

For example with Dracula you could say

CV1 he appears from the floor with a disembodied head and then the rest appears and the music is apra-po. Or maybe you like the look of him in SCVIV with the music and the rumbling of the keep with lightning sparks everywhere or maybe CV64 he appears with the intention of tearing Schneider limb from limb. I am going to have a tough time with this.

1 Dracula I say CV64 when he first appears and that bell rings for the first time that was unevering.
2 Death CV1 dropping from the ceiling as Heart of Fire fades out.
3 Frankenstein's Monster CV1 as Igor was such a pain.
4 Mummies Dracula X Chronicles as they scream at you.
5 Medusa LOI having a giant head look right at you and float towards you and yell damn you.
6 Phantom Bat, while this boss is my first of the series I go with the Chronicles version.
7 Orphic Viper is in a number of the games but I think it was Legacy where he was the most fearsome.

Not many bosses recur and I cant think of many that recur more than one other time in the series. Cyclops, Slogra and Gaibon,
the Wolfman, the Minotaur, Pueyxil those are the only others I can think of at the moment.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
One of the only critters I would consider to be even remotely disturbing/scary is Legion.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
One of the only critters I would consider to be even remotely disturbing/scary is Legion.

Exactly what I was going to say.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
AoS's Legion to be more precise.Those corpses screaming and walking to the room where Legion is waiting is one of the most disturbing moments in video game history.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
Legion reminds me of the Crazy song part of the Wall movie by Pink Floyd. It's definitely a scary monster.

Has Beezelbub been in any other games. He was pretty gruesome and scary, especially with all them flies and bees and such.

The Forgotten One was in two games as well.

A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"

Offline NeoLiza

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
EDIT: That floating skeleton head boss from SC4

This was my first CV back as a child. So this guy sticks with me as the main boss to give me nightmares.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:01:44 PM by NeoLiza »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
Hotlink's dead :(
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
Dracula's remains in Harmony. It's not scary, but it's fucking gross, with the crazy colors and claw and all.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
I thought one of the more cool versions of Dracula's second form was in LOD. When he fades into the background sends different projectile attacks at you and then comes towards the camera and his stomach opens up with a face inside. That would be a cool remake. I know I have seen the Dracula Ultimate form in some other game or place but I can't remember.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:01 AM »
Super Castlevania IV: The Library stage. Walking into Grakul's room then you hear a very LOUD rumbling sound. All of a sudden this mother fucker comes out of his glass coffin ready to kill your ass. His poor animation makes it even more scary. That shit isn't for kids.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
Max Slimer.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »
Akumajou Dracula 68K - Stage 7: while it was not scary it was higly disturbing with all this dismembered bodies everywhere.

Offline Lucius J. Belmont

• Bathrobe Werewolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • stronger, more resilient than a spider
    • im mike jones
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Like many people, Legion made me legitimately uncomfortable. But which game had the fish boss? in water? R-name? was it in Dawn of Sorrow...argh. Anyway, for some reason video-game water kind of unnerves me really badly, so that was not a favourite of mine. And I know it's not technically a boss in every incarnation but the behemoth is a really stressful encounter too.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Rahab?

Guess you can say that incarnation is pretty scary, considering this was how he looked when he first appeared in the Castlevania universe:

In Harmony (or was it POR?) he looks more like he does in Soul Reaver.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:30:04 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lucius J. Belmont

• Bathrobe Werewolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • stronger, more resilient than a spider
    • im mike jones
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Yep, that's the name. That one enemy that's like a weird homunculus underwater and hooked up to tubes, that comes alive? That's also pretty disturbing. Video game water and its enemies can be the freakiest shit, idk why.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."

Tags: