Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Brazil  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
I felt the need to share this here with my friends, about my country, sadly I dont know if a youtube version of this video exists, so you will need to access facebook to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=811427358878851
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
Are things not getting better in Brazil? That is very pessimistic. The growth in Brazil is not very high but, after all, it's one of the most developed states in Latin America. So yes, the country has a very high rate of poverty and inequality. That is true.
However, from what I know, it is still much better off than most of Latin America, alongside Chile (significantly more developed) and Argentina. It's better governed than the uber-corrupt, semi-authoritarian populist Venezuela, whose economic policies are leading the state to bankruptcy, and significantly more developed then the smaller states in the region. 

You can't compare Brazil with USA. Brazil has only been democratic for a few decades and has been much less industrialized and much more corrupt than USA. And you know what I like about Brazilians? Like most South Americans, they're not broken by their misfortune. They want to get better and would work hard to get better.   
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Well, I only wanted to share whats happening there so people know the truth, I didnt made this video lol

But it seems that they compare with USA because its directed to it, also dollar is a common wealth so its easier to compare. We could be better than other countries, but we are going downhill these last years, since election is near I hope things can get better :P

Our actual president did so many mistakes that we almost had gone backwars, wish us luck.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »
Its a sad reality :-\

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
Yeah the total waste of resources that was the World Cup really highlighted how much you need new leaders it seems. I hope things improve soon.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
You got a paypal or something? Maybe we can give you a boost. USD is 2.4x your R worth too, so whatever is given would be more than doubled.

20$USD -> ~50$R

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Haha thanks for the offer (if it was serious) but I didnt would feel good taking money from the others like this. I really only wanted to share with you dungeonites the actual situation of my country, since this wont appear on the news I think.

Yes, the World Cup is a cool event, but they wasted (I mean really wasted, like doing things in the wrong way) a lot of money that could've been expent on hospitals or something like that.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »
I agree on the World Cup wastages. If your government does not change, wait til you see what they'll gonna do with the upcoming summer olympics.

My country is hammered with high taxes and high corruption and greedy politicians for decades. So I fully understand what you mean.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
My Political History lecturer said the that the spending on the World Cup should not so quickly be treated as a waste, but an investment, which should repay itself in tourism or other kinds of income. He said the Brazilian government is not stupid and probably knows what it is doing. Also they used the World Cup as an opportunity for a massive crack down on all those bloody gangs in Rio. My lecturer was born in Latin America and has massive knowledge on the region, so I trust his word for it.  :P

Also, I think in comparison with Putin's Sochi Olympics, in which he wasted billions on bullshit and actually stole land and made people's lives miserable to build everything he did there (which turned out eventually to be complete crap, as expected from contemporary Russia), everything seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:00:12 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
I see the point of your prof. Those projects would count as an investment in the future as long as it is not turned into a white elephant. And inclusive growth must be targeted (like in the tourism sector), or else, the poor would still remain poor.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
or else, the poor would still remain poor.

The even sadder reality is, is that so long as the monetary system is still in use there will always be a poor populous. That's the one inescapable truth that many out there don't realize or care to. Especially those who're in power. If you want to eliminate poverty, eliminate and replace the monetary system. Nobody want to give up their money because it makes them feel important on some level or another. The stock exchange is also a big contributing factor to the problem of poverty. Before the stock market was in place the wealth was more evenly distributed amongst the classes. But now you have the rich sucking the wealth (life) out of the economy and the rest of the classes (middle and poor). Sooner or later--if this keeps up--there will be no middle class and the poor will be even poorer (if that's even possible). I'm only making 14 bucks an hour and I have two jobs. According to Canadian statistics if a person is not making at least 27 dollars an hour in Canada, they're below the poverty line. Guess where I stand in that regard. And the only way to off-set this is by having as few expenses as possible. Also I'm living with other people so that lessons the burden more.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:57:48 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
My Political History lecturer said the that the spending on the World Cup should not so quickly be treated as a waste, but an investment, which should repay itself in tourism or other kinds of income. He said the Brazilian government is not stupid and probably knows what it is doing. Also they used the World Cup as an opportunity for a massive crack down on all those bloody gangs in Rio. My lecturer was born in Latin America and has massive knowledge on the region, so I trust his word for it.  :P

Also, I think in comparison with Putin's Sochi Olympics, in which he wasted billions on bullshit and actually stole land and made people's lives miserable to build everything he did there (which turned out eventually to be complete crap, as expected from contemporary Russia), everything seems reasonable.

Yeah yeah. How long does he think it's gonna take for backpacking 20-somethings to make up for the billions Brazil spent on stadiums that are now abandoned in remote areas after being used for 1 or 2 games? Anyone who thinks Brazil is going to make back that wasted money from tourism within our lifetime (maybe even our children's lifetime) is fooling themselves.

The even sadder reality is, is that so long as the monetary system is still in use there will always be a poor populous. That's the one inescapable truth that many out there don't realize or care to. Especially those who're in power. If you want to eliminate poverty, eliminate and replace the monetary system. Nobody want to give up their money because it makes them feel important on some level or another. The stock exchange is also a big contributing factor to the problem of poverty. Before the stock market was in place the wealth was more evenly distributed amongst the classes. But now you have the rich sucking the wealth (life) out of the economy and the rest of the classes (middle and poor). Sooner or later--if this keeps up--there will be no middle class and the poor will be even poorer (if that's even possible). I'm only making 14 bucks an hour and I have two jobs. According to Canadian statistics if a person is not making at least 27 dollars an hour in Canada, they're below the poverty line. Guess where I stand in that regard. And the only way to off-set this is by having as few expenses as possible. Also I'm living with other people so that lessons the burden more.

Pretty much. The super rich don't spend money and create jobs, they horde it at the top as an elaborate measuring contest. A dollar sitting in a billionaire's bank account is a dollar that's not being used to pay wages or better the world in any way. This is the inevitable result of capitalism though, the world doesn't have unlimited resources and money keeps collecting at the top.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
Nobody want to give up their money because it makes them feel important on some level or another. The stock exchange is also a big contributing factor to the problem of poverty. Before the stock market was in place the wealth was more evenly distributed amongst the classes.

Before the stock market it was a pre-capitalist economic system. Before capitalism indeed wealth was more evenly distributed: everyone was equally poor. Capitalism allowed for the emergence of a middle class and significantly raised everyone's standard of living and the wealth in general.
People would argue that in social-democratic states there's more equality; That's true. But that does not mean the majority is better off than neo-liberal countries. In many cases they are worse off.

This is the inevitable result of capitalism though, the world doesn't have unlimited resources and money keeps collecting at the top.

I'm not a libertarian so I wouldn't argue with that, but you know what could be said about what you imply: That if redistribution is the answer, it would make more harm than benefit by killing investment, destroying initiative for improvement, harm growth and make public as a whole more dependent on the government. I think the fate of Venezuela is showing how populist policies can drive a rich country to the brink of bankruptcy. People can't get toilet paper there. Friggin' toilet paper. 
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
+1

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 02:20:53 AM »
Ratty just proved that those stadiums are white elephants.

Redistribution is so difficult to do in countries rife with corruption in all levels and when the heads of government are all elitist (like in my country). Basic needs are not met for a majority of the population (poor) and even the middle class is having trouble with inflating prices, high taxes and stagnating incomes. I have a feeling that the rich wants to eliminate the middle class...

The ideal redistribution for me is through social services for the provision of basic needs plus free quality education and training financed by progressive taxation. It will never happen in my country.

Tags: