Poll

There is a (now disabled) feature now showing what browser/OS members are using when posting.  Do I Enable this feature or disable it?

Yes (enable).
3 (30%)
No (disable).
4 (40%)
Don't care either way.  My mind was recently violated by a dark priest.
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 04, 2011, 10:05:43 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: OS/Browser Info AddOn Poll: Keep or Remove?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
OS/Browser Info AddOn Poll: Keep or Remove?
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
I added a new feature in order for an Anti-Spambot behind-the-scenes feature of the site to work.  This feature also allows members to see what Operating System and Browser Type each forum member used when they posted.   Normally it's visible on the left side by the person's avatar right over their contact info.

However, someone mentioned that it's unnecessary.  True, I can just add feature 'for the lulz', but I figured I would ask you guys, the forumgoers, whether this feature should be kept (re-enabled) or to leave it off.  I agree that it is unnecessary, but it's also somewhat fun to have, I guess.  I disabled it because I found another feature that would help the anti-spambot program work without it displaying the info to the rest of the forumgoers.

What do you guys think?  Let me know with comments or with the answer to the poll.  Poll will run for a week.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: OS/Browser Info AddOn Poll: Keep or Remove?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
You need to find a version/modify it so that each member can chose to share this information publicly or not.

Like wise, an option for each member to chose to see this information from other members or not.

Standard public internet site courtesy and all...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Yeah, I realize this.
Again, it originally was installed in order to provide me with more info about potential threats to the forum (with the side-effect of people being able to see each others' Browser/OS Info as well).
However, I found something else that does the same thing, only privately, which is why it is disabled right now.

I figured I would ask if it's a big enough problem that it is/was there.  If enough people did not like it, then I would delete it off the server altogether.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »
Yes, disable it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
Privacy is important to each and every individual. But allowing us to chose is also good too. I say remove it.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
Disable it. I don't see how the benefits would outweigh the loss of privacy.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything