Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why is Super Castlevania IV a remake and not a sequel?  (Read 18372 times)

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
Re: Why is Super Castlevania IV a remake and not a sequel?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »
To expand on why I think Castlevania IV was meant to be a reboot, when the game was a released, a guidebook was released called "All About Akumajo Dracula". It's a very interesting guidebook because it expands on the storyline of the game and pretty much ignores the games that came before it. For example, the guidebook says that the Belmont Clan is not an actual family, but a clan of Dhampirs.
It is the guidebook author's fiction Akumanochi-chinoakumu prototype and is not an KONAMI official opinion.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:All_About_Akumajo_Dracula
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 02:11:52 AM »
Haha, it seems that she already knew that. :p
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:59 AM »
It is the guidebook author's fiction Akumanochi-chinoakumu prototype and is not an KONAMI official opinion.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:All_About_Akumajo_Dracula

Yes, but I've been thinking, this book serves as a prototype for the author's novel, but technically the guidebook and the novel are different. Also, although the guidebook contains a lot of original inventions by the author, I think the author wouldn't have been allowed to put this information in the guidebook if it wasn't approved by Konami.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
Back when I first played this it never occurred to me that it was anything but a direct sequel to Simon's Quest. This is mainly due to how closely the ending of Simon's Quest matched up to the intro of SCVIV.

The "best" ending to Simon's Quest (which you would think means is the "true" ending since its the hardest to achieve) is the view of the grave, followed by Dracula's hand coming up out of it, implying that he's not dead and Simon hasn't heard the last of him. Then the third game in the NES trilogy was the Trevor prequel that had nothing to do with Simon, and the GB games from that time also featured a different Belmont that had nothing to do with Simon. So there was basically no real closure to Simon's story (especially when you consider the incredibly anticlimactic final boss fight in Simon's Quest).

Now you have Super Castlevania IV, which opens with the almost identical grave that we last saw Dracula's hand come up out of, and its struck by lightening and we are then informed that Dracula has risen and "once again" Simon would challenge him. I get it that the intro also told us "it has been 100 years since the Belmonts last battled Dracula", but I always took this as just establishing the whole "Dracula rises every 100 years" thing, not literally meaning he just rose and Simon has never fought him yet.

Considering the above, I always liked to think of SCVIV as a direct sequel to Simon's Quest instead of a remake of the original, for the following reasons:
-SCVIV intro follows "best" SQ ending so well, as described above.
-Simon's Quest final battle/ending was unsatisfying, SCVIV gives better closure to Simon's story.
-If I want to play all the games in order to experience the full Castlevania story, I am forced to skip either the original or SCVIV because they tell the same story... when those are two of the greatest Castlevania games!

I understand that the original Japanese version has SCVIV as a remake and the US version hinted at it as a sequel, and to hammer that point home Iga made it "official" in his canon that its a remake. But back in those early days, the story was still open to interpretation, the whole complex Iga canon hadn't come into play yet. And these days, with the new games "re-imagining" old characters and story concepts, it seems that Iga's canon isn't worth the paper it's printed on. This is the era of interpreting the Castlevania story how you choose... if MercurySteam can do it, why can't we?

So to me, Super Castlevania IV will always be the epic conclusion to the Simon trilogy, the final battle between him and Dracula after their first two encounters, and the fight that after two failed attempts finally puts Dracula back in the ground for the next 100 years so Simon can live happily ever after making babies for the next generation. If you prefer to think of it as a remake, that's fine too. To me there's no wrong answer, it's all up to how each individual interprets things.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
+1
You can do that if you ignore the japanese text (US version mistranslated the prologue on purpose) and ignore that Simon would be more than 100 years old or if you ignore the story of the game altogheter. So its not impossible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:49:35 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
to me, SCVIV is from a diferent timeline and chronicles is the Iga´s cannon history and this is why it is so unique to me  and it was my first castlevania game. the music, the gameplay all thing´s from it is special( Yamada where is you man, i need your coding and ideas to make my game :'( )

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »
to me, SCVIV is from a diferent timeline and chronicles is the Iga´s cannon history and this is why it is so unique to me  and it was my first castlevania game. the music, the gameplay all thing´s from it is special( Yamada where is you man, i need your coding and ideas to make my game :'( )

Well, SCIV is an alternate timeline as far as IGA is concerned. He treats the original CV as the "legitimate" version.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »
You can do that if you ignore the japanese text (US version mistranslated the prologue on purpose) and ignore that Simon would be more than 100 years old or if you ignore the story of the game altogheter. So its not impossible.

I've never played the Japanese version and can't read Japanese so probably couldn't understand it if I did play it, so ignoring Japanese text is no problem.

And since the US version has a contradiction in the intro, you have to ignore something in order for it to make sense. So either you can ignore the "it has been 100 years since the last confrontation", or you ignore the "once again Simon is called upon". Not a huge stretch to choose to ignore the former instead of the latter, is it?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
SCV4 = Akuma-jou Dracula Rebirth. It's a remake/revision/reboot/whatever. It's all semantics. Also, I wouldn't put much credence in a guidebook that wasn't made by Konami directly. Furthermore, some of the ideas in the guidebook seem to deviate greatly from what's in the actual games.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
I didn't see the world Rebirth anywhere that I search about this game nor in-game... Why?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:40 AM »
Furthermore, some of the ideas in the guidebook seem to deviate greatly from what's in the actual games.

Yes, but that's the point of my argument.  :P Because it deviates from the storyline that might imply they wanted to establish a whole new continuity with this game. I think it's likely the author of the guidebook had some involved with the developers while writing the guide, so although they may not have created the content themselves it's possible they approved of it.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »
Honestly this is why I liked it better when CV didn't really have a concrete storyline outside of each individual game. Each game was just a great game and no one worried about where it fit in some timeline.  :-X

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »
I chose to think of it as a sequel and that Simon had to fight Dracula a whole bunch of times before he went down for keeps. 

Heck, if Christoher Lee and the Marvel comics version could keep coming back to life every few years, why not the CV Dracula? 

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
Something interesting I found out about Castlevania Chronicles/Akumajo Dracula X68000:

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kikux68k/x68k_interview_ohx2.htm

This is an interview from 1993. It's explained that that the game originally was an enhanced port of the original Famicom/NES game, but they decided to alter things after they realised they could do a lot of interesting things with the Sharp X68000.

Perhaps the same thing happend with this game? First it was an updated port for the SNES but later evolved into it's own game? This is also supported by the fact that Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle etc are considered different "versions" of the original game.

Tags: