Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 138850 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - DEMO INCLUDED!
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
I have removed 2 frames from the normal weapon attacks and it is faster now and more flexible, also the recoil of that attack is faster now. There was also bug with pressing both left and right buttons when the player just perform his walking animation on one place, it is fixed, now when you press both left and right the player just stops one one place and has its standing animation :)
So we can just download the new updated exe at the link you provided?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
So we can just download the new updated exe at the link you provided?

Later or tomorrow. I want to add some new tiles and make sure everything is ok for you to test.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
Later or tomorrow. I want to add some new tiles and make sure everything is ok for you to test.
Ok I will keep on the lookout on the thread! Just be sure to make an announcement please!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
PS: I was thinking and thinking about the sound effects and I want to ask you if it will be ok to use some of the castlevanias sound effects because I will not sell the game anyway. I just have to make sure I give Konami credit right?

While it is totally ok to do it, I aint 100% sure if you should do that.  I mean, look all original things that you did from scratch, maybe if its a similiar sound or a remixed sound I would accept it better.

What Im trying to say is that if you already will make all visual original, why not use this chance and go original in everything?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
While it is totally ok to do it, I aint 100% sure if you should do that.  I mean, look all original things that you did from scratch, maybe if its a similiar sound or a remixed sound I would accept it better.

What Im trying to say is that if you already will make all visual original, why not use this chance and go original in everything?
Good idea too, but more work! lol

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
Yes, that is the hard part xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Honestly, I'm kind of with Lelygax on that note. I wouldn't be bothered at all by SFX re-use, but I don't really think many of them official ones would "fit" the game. In this case, I'd look more into recording your own, or Googling around for free SFX. I've found quite a few nice ones from that.

But either way, I'm fine with the outcome. This is really looking to be a nice work, even at this early in production.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2013, 01:44:23 AM »
Here is the link to the latest version - http://www.mediafire.com/download/g3qjabaa4mc43ya/Castle_of_Nightmares_DEMO.rar

The demo now has:

1) You are now able to switch the Attack and Jump buttons.

2) You no longer need to click with the mouse to return to the game from the menu. If you are navigating through the menu (equipment,usable items,bestiary) just press A and you will return one menu if you are on the starting menu and you press A you will return to the game.

3) The normal sword animation is much faster now. I have removed 2 frames and now the attack scales better.

4) there are just a few new tiles added to the Castle's kitchen.

5) The annoying bug with the walking while pressing multiple buttons is fixed.

6) I added a light effect to the torches so they dont look so stiff.

PLEASE test everything you can. Even the most stupid things like falling,jimping spinning like an idiot ... everything. I need to polish everything before I can continiue to the other Castle area, enemies, bosses, items etc. !!!
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Just gave your new demo a test and there's something off about the character's movement. I don't know if it was brought about when I took a hit or when I swung my great sword, but the walking animations don't follow through completely. When this happened I press both the <- and -> together and found he stopped moving. When the walking animations do follow through completely, I pressed <- and -> and he was still walking, but didn't move.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
Just gave your new demo a test and there's something off about the character's movement. I don't know if it was brought about when I took a hit or when I swung my great sword, but the walking animations don't follow through completely. When this happened I press both the <- and -> together and found he stopped moving. When the walking animations do follow through completely, I pressed <- and -> and he was still walking, but didn't move.

Thank you for noticing! And now I found a solution! Now when you press both left and right he will allways prefer to go to the left, that way there will be no problems because I forgot that normaly this kind of games do not allow pressing such combinations at the same time :)

Please excuse my constant link changing but I am just reuploading the versions with the fixed stuff in them.

There is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sebb4bbtv6wzx6t/Castle_of_Nightmares_DEMO.rar
And again please if you find such bugs and stuff tell me here so I can improve the game :)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
Thank you for noticing! And now I found a solution! Now when you press both left and right he will allways prefer to go to the left, that way there will be no problems because I forgot that normaly this kind of games do not allow pressing such combinations at the same time :)

Please excuse my constant link changing but I am just reuploading the versions with the fixed stuff in them.

There is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sebb4bbtv6wzx6t/Castle_of_Nightmares_DEMO.rar
And again please if you find such bugs and stuff tell me here so I can improve the game :)

You should add a seperate screen during the game so you can always check or switch your controls, maybe by pressing f12

you should make it so you can use the direction arrows to traverse up and down sub-menus (lose the mouse-clicks) just make it so that you can press enter to go through one screen to the next

You might want to change the equipment-spell-usuable items-enemy data, text color to black (grey makes them look not accessable)

still no dying animation, lifebar should go completely empty when you are totally out of life

The text for the title of your game is too small. You should try to make it bigger and more impactful

You should make it so that if you switch the controls to z and x for jump and attack they stay like that even if you start over

You should add a slide back move so you can easier avoid hazards

Hero needs a sword for the primary weapon, and dagger for the secondary. The dagger makes things repetative, maybe you can make it so that with the dagger he is able to throw them for a range attack

You might want to add some animation to the tentacles and skull from your lifebar, without the animation it looks kind flat

Hope I've been helpful!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:24:39 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
You should add a seperate screen during the game so you can always check or switch your controls, maybe by pressing f12

you should make it so you can use the direction arrows to traverse up and down sub-menus (lose the mouse-clicks) just make it so that you can press enter to go through one screen to the next

You might want to change the equipment-spell-usuable items-enemy data, text color to black (grey makes them look not accessable)

still no dying animation, lifebar should go completely empty when you are totally out of life

The text for the title of your game is too small. You should try to make it bigger and more impactful

You should make it so that if you switch the controls to z and x for jump and attack they stay like that even if you start over

You should add a slide back move so you can easier avoid hazards

Hero needs a sword for the primary weapon, and dagger for the secondary. The dagger makes things repetative, maybe you can make it so that with the dagger he is able to throw them for a range attack

You might want to add some animation to the tentacles and skull from your lifebar, without the animation it looks kind flat

Hope I've been helpful!

Thank you for the feedback!

The thing is that the controls are saved once you switch then and they will stay that way every time you save and then LOAD your progress.

I cannot lose the mouse control. This cannot happen because it is WAY too HARD for me to make menu consisting of 2D or 3D arrays.

I will consider the sword change but I don't see the poin because you can have the sword 2 minnutes after the start of the game. :)

The other things mentioned by you are easy to do and the will be my next targets.

The main thing I wanted to see is that there are no bugs that will make the game unplayable or annoying.

I really am sorry about the menu but is has to be navigated with the mouse. I have removed the mouse when you have to go back however I have put too much work in the menu system now to start designing a completely new menu system.

Everything else you said are cosmetic changes which are very nice and easy things to do.

PS: Also I do not know how to do the slide thing because I do not know how to implement is to the characters code.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
1) I made the death animation and now the message You are Dead is shown after the end of the animation.

2) I also changed the color of the menu buttons (Equipment, Usable Items, Enemy Data etc.)

3) I FINALLY and Successfully removed the damn walking freeze bug, where the character just saty one one place and perform his walking animation!

4) When you play the game and you save it the controls switch (Z and X) will be saved as well.

5) Now when you are hit you will can walk through the enemy for the duration of the invincibility (Around 1 sec)

I am still considering the change about the dagger and the sword. I do not know why do you guys want the sword as your starting weapon when you can get it 3 mins into the game if you explore a little :(

Btw some people said that when you collect Elexirs of Life and you level up you lose health ... well this is not true because you are added new health to your current health. Those things only give you more capacity to store health not actually HEAL you. I did this mainly because I want the game to be challenging because it will not have NEW GAME + etc. :) I hope you understand my idea.

I will have to re-do the starting screen Name/logo of the game ("Castle of Nightmares").

So after that I will post the new link with the download and if there are no more problems I will continiue with the second castle are which will have some new features added to the game like Teleportation Chambers, Spell System and nice quest puzzles in order to continiue your exploration into the Castle.

PS: I just want to say that I know you all want a better product that is flexible and easy to use(navigate etc.) but this is my VERY first project, I have absolutely no programming background (I have marketing & management degree :D). However I am doing everything I can so you can really like this game because Unfortunately I do not think Konami or any other company will make more 2D Castlevania games anymore :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:13:32 PM by Zuljaras »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »
+1
I am still considering the change about the dagger and the sword. I do not know why do you guys want the sword as your starting weapon when you can get it 3 mins into the game if you explore a little :(

Some people think a sword is the base starting weapon of choice for games like this. Me, it's not really that important of an issue since I know I'll get something better down the road. But since this is your game and you know what you want, you should be the one to make the call about keeping the dagger or replacing it with the sword.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:17 AM »
Finally I have some content. Its not much but it is something :)

Here is the very first draft of the Castle's Park which is the second area after the Castle's Entrance. It will be marble/garden/park and it will conncet several other areas like the Castles towers (yes towers as in plural) and other zones. On those 2 screenshots I display the very basic idea of the area. The park itself and some of its underground areas for gardening. Here just like in any other area will be the residence of a boss. I will start making some new enemies, mysteries and items after the completition of the zone.

This is the normal park layout:
(click to show/hide)

This is the underground layout:
(click to show/hide)

I also will try to make some cool ways to progress. I do not want to just go and defeat the boss. For example if you want to go meet the boss you have to open the guardian gate. You can make this after shattering 2 dark crystals that are in 2 rooms in the area. This is just an example I do not know the task in mind :)

Well this is it :) I do not have much time but believe me I am trying to achieve some progress :)