Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Star Trek 2: wrath oh Kahn's genesis  (Read 3485 times)

Offline The Bizarre Trooper

• The Stardust Brawler
  • Hunter in Training
  • Nanomachines, son!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:49 AM »
So i recently watched Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn and i love the story of it!

But there is one thing that's been bothering my mind: Why did Kahn wanted Genesis and What would he have used it for if he ws victorious in defeating Kirk?

I know that Genesis can not only give barren planets life and create new planets AND it can turn a living planet barren!

So my big question is: What would Kahn have used Genesis for?
Standing here, I realize
You were just like me, trying to make history.
But who's to judge the right from wrong?
When our guard is down, I think we'll both agree
That violence breeds violence,
But in the end it has to be this way.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
I'm convinced that he wanted to Terraform Ceti-Alpha V since it was a world given to them in the first place. However Khan's vengeance against Kirk took precedence over his peoples' continued survival. Khan was too embittered to see the larger picture anymore. Especially with the death of his wife, Marla McGivers.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
I'm convinced that he wanted to Terraform Ceti-Alpha V since it was a world given to them in the first place. However Khan's vengeance against Kirk took precedence over his peoples' continued survival. Khan was too embittered to see the larger picture anymore. Especially with the death of his wife, Marla McGivers.

Pretty much yeah. Though it could also be he had some notions of conquest. If you watch the original series episode that "The Wrath of Khan" is a direct sequel to, "Space Seed", you see that Khan is a former dictator. He and other genetically enhanced people tried, and if I remember right briefly did, conquer the earth. Khan and his crew escaped into space in suspended animation until discovered by the Enterprise much later. The result of Earth's "Eugenics Wars", in which Khan was a central figure, was that genetic enhancement was extremely taboo within the Federation for centuries, as explored in more detail in Deep Space 9.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:10:14 PM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
Though it could also be he had some notions of conquest.

True. However in the movie Chekov mentions to Dr Marcus that all materials regarding project Genesis would be transferred over to the Reliant for immediate testing on Ceti-Alpha V. This tells me that Khan still claimed the planet as his own and wanted to return it to a lush, life-filled world once more. And Genesis was his dream come true for that. Earth was of no more consequence. However he couldn't find Genesis anywhere on the Regula 1 station so he decided to intercept the Enterprise and thus begins Khan's downward spiral into vengeful madness.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
I am more inclined to believe he would simply use it as a weapon rather than for terraforming. I seriously doubt he would be content to just make a new planet for himself and stay there.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
Ever since the original episode "Space Seed" Khan was searching for a world for him and his people to rule over. Earth would no-longer accept them. Even in ST2 his mindset is still the same as it was before. However when he could not defeat Kirk in conventional starship combat he decided to use Genesis to take him out for good. That is when Khan uses the device as a weapon. He chooses vengeance over preservation. The preservation of his people's continued existence.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
I think it's pretty clear in the film that Khan wasn't thinking TOO far ahead. He had multiple chances to run and do whatever he wanted with Genesis (a powerful weapon as the Klingons realized in Star Trek 3, surely Khan would've seen this to) but he just couldn't let go of his grudge against Kirk. When his crew tried to reason with him, he refused. He brings about his own and his people's downfall through stubborn blindness like a proper Greek or Shakespearean tragic hero.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Exactly right. Just like Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. Khan couldn't leave well enough alone. It's also interesting that Captain Picard from ST: First Contact had a very similar viewpoint of the Borg. However Lilly manages to convince him otherwise, saving Picard from making a very possible, and deadly mistake. Vengeance -no matter how you look at it or justify it- will always in some form or another, bring down those that blindly rely on it. And Because Khan is genetically superior in every way, this fault made it even more difficult for him to see reason when hyped up on anger and arrogance. Joachim (Khans second in command) didn't like Kirk either. However he felt differently then Khan did and could see where his leader's actions were taking all of them--A road that he didn't want to travel down any further. They had escaped their exile, stolen a starship and acquired Genesis. In Joachim's mind they had all that they needed to survive. So we also have this interesting confrontational dynamic between Khan and Joachim as well.

Tags: