Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula Untold?  (Read 7047 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
I was tempted to see this movie at the theater, but then to me it just doesn't look like a flick I would pay to see at a movie. I would rather see it at home on dvd.

Has anyone seen the movie and can give a review?

Is it worth a watch?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
www.youtube.com/embed/rTWNndQOyx8

I trust this guy's opinion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:43:37 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
+1
I really  liked  it. It's very predictable, but it's entertaining. I'm still kind of weirded out by how similar it is to LoS, but it was fun to watch.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »
I'm just gonna wait til it comes out on tv, next year.

I'm still kind of weirded out by how similar it is to LoS, but it was fun to watch.
No wonder konami japan was bundling the movie with LoS2. hehehe.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
+1
Haven't seen it yet, but I have mixed feelings on it. It's great and all that they're making what looks like a good Prince Vlad > Count Dracula bridge, but with it having historical basis on the actual Vlad I can't help but nitpick.

For one, I can't say I like the casting choice for Mehmed. The actor's good, but Mehmed was older than that. Two, I didn't see any hints that Radu would be making an appearance (but since Vlad's assumedly gonna win in the end there's no real reason to put Radu's betrayal in there, so I can concede that one). Three...he's in yet another Gothic castle. I love Gothic architecture to the point of it nearly being a fetish, but GODDAMNIT CAN WE GET ONE DRACULA MOVIE WITH POENARI JUST ONE.

Oh and the Caligula thing's weirding me out, too. Hope that's explained well enough.

All that said I'll definitely see it, because I'm always down for a Dracula flick...and I've got a bit of a man-crush on Luke Evans (hey, he's a good actor and he's a handsome sumbitch).

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
A buddy told me it was the best vampire he's seen

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:26:14 AM »
For one, I can't say I like the casting choice for Mehmed. The actor's good, but Mehmed was older than that.

I liked the actor for Mehmed, but did they really have to go with that haircut? Seems sort of anachronistic to me.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
My wife and I had been looking forward to this one for a while. But I'm hesitant now after reading the reviews... When you need to get a babysitter to see a movie, you wanna make sure it's gonna be worth the trouble!

She's pushing for Annabelle now instead. I loved the Conjuring, but I'm iffy on the whole possessed doll thing.

I'm glad to read on here that Dracula Untold isn't a shit pile.

Although I have to say that I would love to see a new historically accurate telling of Dracula. There's really no need to tie the whole vampire mythology into it. The real Dracula is interesting and terrifying enough as he actually was.

If I could cast an actor to play Dracula in historically accurate movie, I would go for someone like Daniel Day Lewis. But I gotta agree that Luke Evans is a good choice too!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
My wife and I had been looking forward to this one for a while. But I'm hesitant now after reading the reviews... When you need to get a babysitter to see a movie, you wanna make sure it's gonna be worth the trouble!

She's pushing for Annabelle now instead. I loved the Conjuring, but I'm iffy on the whole possessed doll thing.

I'm glad to read on here that Dracula Untold isn't a shit pile.

Although I have to say that I would love to see a new historically accurate telling of Dracula. There's really no need to tie the whole vampire mythology into it. The real Dracula is interesting and terrifying enough as he actually was.

If I could cast an actor to play Dracula in historically accurate movie, I would go for someone like Daniel Day Lewis. But I gotta agree that Luke Evans is a good choice too!

I saw Annebelle. You'll enjoy it if you liked The Conjuring.

I will say it's not as good as The Conjuring.

The movie to me was more drama than actual scares.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
If I could cast an actor to play Dracula in historically accurate movie, I would go for someone like Daniel Day Lewis.

Oh my God, yes YESYES YES YES YES!

Contact Hollywood, this needs to happen.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »
I just got back from the theaters seeing it. All I can say is...

Bleh, BLEH!

I did not like direction this movie took at all. If you didn't like Dracula in LoS not being a villain, then you will HATE this movie. 90% of the movie is middling, then the last 10% is straight up awful.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
I admit that I found it predictable as all heck, but very entertaining nevertheless.  There were some scenes which screamed Lords of Shadow, especially the Hand of Bats seen in the trailer, and the final scene, which was amusing.  I appreciated the nods to the history of the real Vlad Tepes, which I agree, would be interesting to do properly in a film, and not tie in the vampire mythology, and yes, set some of it in Poenari.  I loved the costumes, so it wasn't surprising when I saw Ngila Dickson (who did the LoTr costumes) in the credits.  The msic was also good.  The way I see it, Dracula Untold is a good fun vampire film that you can stick on for an hour and a half, and don't have to take seriously.  Mehmed was unintentionally amusing, I thought at times, due to the very clear liberal use of fake tan and cheesy accent.  Charles Dance was good as the Master Vampire (it appears that he took over the roles of Caligula and Baba Yaga).  It irked me a little mind you that quite so many scenes which feature in the trailer were scenes cut form the final movie.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Prologue (extended)

imo, still unmatched till this day

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Prologue (extended)

imo, still unmatched till this day
Not to go off subject and I'm sorry if it's been talked about before but this could have been in a great origins story in the CV universe. I feel LoI was kinda going for a denouncing God theme but as much as I like LoI this few minute scene shows more anguish and emotion than the ending of LoI. But really take this scene and toss in the name Belmont. Bam!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
I really  liked  it. It's very predictable, but it's entertaining. I'm still kind of weirded out by how similar it is to LoS, but it was fun to watch.

I'm not that surprised Drac's so op but yeah it's very Los like in some parts, especially the ending that just had me blurt out Los they could have done anything else but nope.

for it being predictable I guess it's more about the journey than the ending result.

I just liked it heck the whole room, afterwards were clapping.

I just liked how he wrecked stuff.

And word on the street is that it's supposed to be a reboot of the universal monster movies so yeah.

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags:

anything