Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Planning to fly to California in the summer  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Planning to fly to California in the summer
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:59 AM »
.... And I'm wondering if any of you guys are around the west coast. It's gonna be my first time in America, planning a month-long visit.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Planning to fly to California in the summer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:09:47 AM »
.... And I'm wondering if any of you guys are around the west coast. It's gonna be my first time in America, planning a month-long visit.

Unfortunately not anymore bro. I have been back on the East Coast for 9 months now.

One thing I do know is right now they have a major Measles outbreak around the DisneyLand area/Mexico right now so make sure you are vaccinated.

Speaking of Mexico, if you do visit that area be extremely careful out there. There is a nice outdoor shopping mall and complex right at the border in San Diego that you could check out and basically walk right over the border.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »
One thing I do know is right now they have a major Measles outbreak around the DisneyLand area/Mexico right now so make sure you are vaccinated.

Holy molly. Probably would stay away from there.

Speaking of Mexico, if you do visit that area be extremely careful out there. There is a nice outdoor shopping mall and complex right at the border in San Diego that you could check out and basically walk right over the border.

I don't think I'd cross the border. My friend said he was in Tijuana and that it was absolutely dreadful. He said that "everything literally smelled like $#it"  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
My sister's family went to Disneyland California during the fall. When they got back they commented on how polluted the air quality was down there, when compared to up here (Yukon Territory, Canada). Yes, you'll want to get an vaccination just to be on the safe side. My nieces' got sick while down there. Took almost a whole month for my second niece to get over her cold and she's only 2.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »
Holy molly. Probably would stay away from there.

I don't think I'd cross the border. My friend said he was in Tijuana and that it was absolutely dreadful. He said that "everything literally smelled like $#it"  :P

Well dude, Mexico is like anything else, if you stay in the touristy areas and mind your own business (i.e. staying out of trouble) everyone will leave you along for the most part. You can have fun there but, travel in a group at least 3-4 to be safe.

My sister's family went to Disneyland California during the fall. When they got back they commented on how polluted the air quality was down there, when compared to up here (Yukon Territory, Canada). Yes, you'll want to get an vaccination just to be on the safe side. My nieces' got sick while down there. Took almost a whole month for my second niece to get over her cold and she's only 2.

Oh yeah dude, coming up from Canada to California, welcome to smog-central. Especially in LA.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
+1
I want to go to the West coast someday...just to have traveled coast to coast...maybe see some sights...visit some friends out there...all that goodness...but between our lack of money and our 3 month old, I don't think we'll be traveling out that way soon...not to mention my regular checkups from the heart transplant!  Otherwise, I'd love to add one more reason to go to CA and meet a fellow dungeonite!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
Based on the Dungeon map, a lot of people are on the east coast

@X: From Canada to California, don't ever do that again.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
@X: From Canada to California, don't ever do that again.

Worry not. I have no intentions of crossing into the lower 48 until they clean up their act a bit (Amongst other things like pollution). I've been to Hawaii and Alaska before and those places are alright. Although I've not been to Alaska since before 9/11, and the environment is really not all that different form the Yukon considering they share the same latitude. Hawaii was the best as I love beaches, the ocean, palm trees,etc. I don't consider it a part of America since it was annexed from the Hawaiians illegally through murder and threat. To this day the Hawaiian flag continues to fly half-mast until the day their islands are returned to them. If only the UN existed back then...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »
I want to go to the West coast someday...just to have traveled coast to coast...maybe see some sights...visit some friends out there...all that goodness...but between our lack of money and our 3 month old, I don't think we'll be traveling out that way soon...not to mention my regular checkups from the heart transplant!  Otherwise, I'd love to add one more reason to go to CA and meet a fellow dungeonite!

I feel ya, man. I would like it if I could make a real tour across America, visit all the historical places and get to know American culture. But I'm limited in time and money, the family who offered to host me live in Sacramento so probably won't get too far from CA. San Francisco, LA, Maybe Las Vegas.
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »
Make sure you bring a bag of money if you travel to the West Coast if you are planning to visit or stay. You'll pay for everything and lot's of it. Have fun constantly paying and looking for parking...

If it makes you feel better most people on the West Coast have never been on the East Coast either.

Also, be prepared for "culture shock", especially when it comes to manners on the West Coast. You'll see people in their offices in pajamas and if you dress halfway appropriate for a job interview you are seen to be overdressed that type of thing..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:47:37 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
You Americans have no idea what you're missing. Like going through the process of applying for a visa to USA.

A dozen pages of forms to fill out, taking photographs, paying 160$ as visa tax, making an appointment for a personal interview, traveling all the way to the US embassy and probably waiting in line for the interview, and then, hopefully, convincing the interviewer you're not going to capitalize by selling stupid Americans garbage they don't need (what many Israelis do) and receiving a visa. 
So much fun. Me and my dad are filling up some of the forms and he's going crazy over some of the information you need to provide (time of my flight? address where I'll be staying? I just want to get a visa dammit, I haven't planned my entire trip yet!  >:()
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
You Americans have no idea what you're missing. Like going through the process of applying for a visa to USA.

A dozen pages of forms to fill out, taking photographs, paying 160$ as visa tax, making an appointment for a personal interview, traveling all the way to the US embassy and probably waiting in line for the interview, and then, hopefully, convincing the interviewer you're not going to capitalize by selling stupid Americans garbage they don't need (what many Israelis do) and receiving a visa. 
So much fun. Me and my dad are filling up some of the forms and he's going crazy over some of the information you need to provide (time of my flight? address where I'll be staying? I just want to get a visa dammit, I haven't planned my entire trip yet!  >:()

My wife is from Berlin, so I do have somewhat an idea. Talk about not fun. I saw a really funny comic from India a few weeks back talking about this very issue.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
Never been to LA but San Fran is great man. My sister used to live in Monterey so I went out there every summer. Central and northern CA is beautiful. Living there is expensive but my experience in visiting was great.

Anyways, you're going to have a blast!

My only bad experience was getting sea sick on a whale watching boat with my pregnant wife. Haha. Didn't think that one through...

I'm from Minneapolis Minnesota. We have beautiful lakes, but we're land locked. I love getting out to the coasts when I can.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »
Make sure you bring a bag of money if you travel to the West Coast if you are planning to visit or stay. You'll pay for everything and lot's of it. Have fun constantly paying and looking for parking...

Yeah, that part took me by surprise when I went about 6 years ago. Stayed right off the strip in Hollywood, but didn't pay for much more than food and drinks for 3 days. But damn, the prices made me want to cry. 7 bucks each for beer at the bars? Ugh. Was a fun experience, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
7 bucks each for beer at the bars? Ugh. Was a fun experience, though.

The funny thing is, that's actually pretty much the average price in Israel!  ;D You people may complain about the prices of food and drink in some of your places, but most of them are cheaper than my country, and since your wages are higher that's even more of a reason for me to be amused. In my country, taxation is INSANE. Most people give around half of their money to the state through direct and indirect taxation.
And alcohol? taxation on alcohol are like the highest. If 7$ for half a liter beer in a pub seems expensive to you, here the regular prices would move between 6$- 8$.
By the way, in England prices were not much better. 3.5-4 pounds for a pint. That's pretty much the same as in my country.  :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:37:04 PM by Mooning Freddy »
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: