Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: COOKING RECOMMENDATIONS  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:48:52 AM »
Growing up and living alone away from your parents leaves you with two options: Either eat out / eat ready-made food, which is either too expensive for people living on a budget or simply unhealthy, or... Learn how to cook.

So I chose the second option, and since the start of the year I'm trying different recipes and experiment with real cooking (making spaghetti is not real cooking, sorry guys).
I'm especially fond of stews, since they're tasty and I'm a man who can't live off bloody salads. I walk a lot and need my fat, protein and carbohydrates.
Some of my favorite recipes that I learned this year are the simple but delicious Chili con carne, and this rural, colorful, welsh cawl.

So do you know any dishes that you'd recommend? You don't have to know how to cook them, the only condition that they are out of the ordinary (not your average fries / hamburger / pasta stuff). I am especially fond of dishes that give you a combination of tastes: sour, sweet, spicy, with unusual vegetable/sauces/spices. As long as it's not boring, tell me about it!
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
Learn Chicken Tikka Masala!
It's so good! I hear you can just set-it-and-forget-it if you have a CrockPot.

If you're a pick-up-and-reheat kinda guy, you can always make some kickass Chili and pack it away in the freezer for when you need something on the quick.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
Here are a couple that I use to impress tongues.

Chipotle Cream Carnitas (Advice, don't skip getting the cojita cheese, it's essential)
http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-carnita-tacos-chipotle-cream/

Molé sauce for chicken and mexican dishes : http://www.food.com/recipe/mole-mo-lay-sauce-35659
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Oh yeah, while I'm in London, gotta check all of that indian food thoroughly, all them curries and masalas... 8)

Definitely gonna try those Carnitas as well (already learned how to make burritos. super easy)
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
I recommend Thai green curry. it's delicious and you can add almost anything to it.
The only thing I never did was make my own paste from scratch, I always used Valcom jarred paste.

It's simple:
- Put some oil in a pot on low heat for 2 mins
- Heat as much paste as you like (1/2 jar recommended)and stir around on low-med heat until fragrant
- Add 400ml (1 can) of coconut milk, and add your meat ingredient if applicable (eg 500g chicken thigh cut up into cubes)
- Simmer it so the dish is on the edge of boiling i.e. cooking the meat and keeping it tender
- Once done add vegetables to your liking and 200-400ml more coconut milk (depending on how thick you like the sauce)
- Bring to the boil (so the veges are still just crisp on the outside) and serve atop of white rice, brown rice, cous cous, etc.

Chicken thighs aren't super cheap, but say they're $8 per kg you can make 2 of these curries - one costs you $4
Half a tin of paste = $3
Vegetables = $2
Coconut Milk = $2.50
Oil = basically nothing
Rice (in bulk) = 50 cents

If you eat more rice with it, you can eat this meal over 2 days i.e. $12/ 2 = $6 per day

Prices are in AUD, produce should be cheaper overseas.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »
Curry. Anything curry. Preferably with chutney.

Also burgoo.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
I myself enjoy a good stew. I would recommend you try adding curry into a stew. It kicks things up a notch or two. And it doesn't need to be a spicy curry either. Once I tried stew with curry added I never looked back.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
I am partial to Italian cuisine and watching cooking shows help out a lot.

I love these: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/hungarian-beef-stew-goulash-recipe.html
http://www.itv.com/ginositalianescape/recipes/pollo-allaceto-balsamico-chicken-with-pancetta-garlic-thyme-and-balsamic-vinegar

Both of these can be kept in the fridge and reheated. You can ignore the salad in the second recipe, haha.

I also make a lot of Japanese style curry. The secret is the instant roux that Japanese stores sell in boxes.  ;D

Remember the old recipe thread? Here it is: http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,5294.0.html

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »
Cheeseburger Soup. You sit a bowl of that on top o' your head & your tongue'll beat your brains out tryin' ta get to it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-soup
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:25:38 AM »
Cheeseburger Soup. You sit a bowl of that on top o' your head & your tongue'll beat your brains out tryin' ta get to it.

~Charlie Sheen

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »
I made the soup yesterday. Good stuff.  8)

~Charlie Sheen

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »
Home made pizza is wonderful.  If you struggle with or don't have time to make the dough, baguette or ciabatta pizza is a great cheat.  The trick is with pizza (or any Italian food tbh) to not go overboard.  Use high quality ingredients that can speak for themselves.  Make a very simple ragu sauce - blitzed/smoothed tomatoes, a bit of garlic, a few herbs such as oregano, bay, etc, maybe a small touch of very very finely chopped onion if you want.  Use proper mozzarella that hasn't been pre grated etc, it loses a lot of flavour.  Use whatever other toppings you want pretty much, but keeping it simple is usually best. 

For hearty stews, I recommend the ultimate meat and potato stew that I developed in my student days, which other veg could easily be added into.  I use a packet of good quality diced beef, six chopped up thin Cumberland sausages, and six rashers of streaky smoked bacon.  Seal the beef in a big saucepan, then add the sausage and bacon.  To this once the meat's all been sealed, add three good sized potatoes that have been choppeup in a mix of very small bits and bigger chunks.  The reason for this is to let most of the potato dissolve into the broth.  Cover the meat and potatoes with boiling water, and add a chicken stock cube (yes, chicken stock).  Season with garlic in whatever is your preferred form (even garlic granules is ok), and a mix of herbs (I like oregano and rosemary).  Leave to simmer on the stove on a low heat for about two hours, adding extra water if necessary.  I can get three large bowls of stew from these quantites. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
I once made beef teriyaki stir fry with bread crumbs. I put alot of bread crumbs and made sure they were well cooked(like they would be on veil or chiken patties) then added stir fry and cooked that with it. I believe i added in a touch of Sazonador and walla! All i can say is awesome!! One reason is i let it sit their cooking for a whle..probably like 10 min or 12 min after the initial bread crumb cooking.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
Oooh, I love homemade pizzas! Mine come out good, and yes, the key is good quality ingredients. I also recommend finding a good dough recipe, but in general I use 2 cups flour, mixed with 1 tsp salt, and then 1 tsp yeast/1 tsp sugar/1 cup water that has been sitting 10 mins or so.

here's what I do for sauce

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17319/exquisite-pizza-sauce/
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Tags: