Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1055830 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1260 on: October 04, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
Some nice backflip animations their Jop! Also Very nice on the werewolf chic Don don!

I've got a couple goodies to show off. One i talked to Plotwist about using for another project planned. And the other was from the animated drac form2 he allowed me to use. I have a couple other cool animations i wanna show off too..but i really can't..because it would spoil some what of a suprise..i'l have to wait to show you guys.

Drac form 2 skulls(death skulls of form 2 drac) morphed to fit Plotwists Drac form2

I got permsion to animate this for a project in the future by Plottwist.
Plotwists's Chimera animated(first draft)

what i may do here is take the snake tail and make his mouth shut during the stance(while his tongue slitehrs in and out of his mouth). The snake was the hardest part and took 3 times as long to do. I still feel like i can perfect more on the snake a bit and the feet area. But otherwise it's pretty much what i though it might look like by.

I would like to discuss with Plotwist possible moves..though some have already popped into my mind.

I suggest having his chest move in and out to signify breathing. Unless you want him to not breath at all.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1261 on: October 04, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Well in this case his chest isnt showing, the only real alternative woudl be to move his back legs up and down to make it look like their some front torso movement. But with his head moving and the other heads..it must be done in a way were they all look like they are still attached and not floating in the air. I did think about that before having justhis body go up and down. So yeah i will more than likely attempt to alter his forward torso from the back end. If his head goes up with whataever there is of his chest(not really present) it could throw the goat and dragon head off so as to not look like it's actually attached to the body at all. I had to fiddle with that several times...cause that's exactly what happened up until this last take. It's alot of mechanical thinking. I know what you mean about the breathing..but it must be done in such a way the rest of the moving parts arent thrown off. Hopefully by the next time it will be complte. I am however working on revamping some other stuff.  Perhaps its possible to have his head/chest, middle torso and then back leg/but/snake tail..alternate and be different moving sections..this  maybe a bit too drastic..but i wont be sure unless i try it..

zero, did you notice the goat ears flopping and the drool from the dragons' mouth. Jop like those. Just trying to get creative you know!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:27:15 AM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #1262 on: October 05, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
Just in case, for anyone that didn't see it.

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,7519.0.html

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1263 on: October 05, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
OK, since I made a lot of awards and wanted to give my input with some ideas for the sprite contest, but arrived too late and it was already decided that only one award was allowed, I'm dumping the sprites here!

Here are the awards. Only the Golden Bat is on the contest:

Here is the rationale I used to create them (plus some other sprites to accompany the suggestions I had in mind):

The first three awards follow a Castlevania Enemy Hierarchy: Golden Vampire Bat (Dracula) for the 1st place, the Silver Reaper Scythe (Death) for the 2nd place, and lastly the Bronze Medusa Head (Annoying/Hard enemy) for the 3th place.

Then I made special awards, too, based on the discussion I read at the thread and some of Uzo's quips:
-The Alloy Vampire Killer was a special award for the Honorable Mentions contestant. Sometimes we want to give the 1st place for two people, or they come to a Draw but one of them is too good to be 2nd, but not as good to be 1st. So they get an Alloy Vampire Killer. Meant to represent the Belmont's stuggle to defeat Dracula (symbolized by the 1st place winner trophy).

-The Alloy Pot Roast was a special award for artworks that are very original, but lack pixel skill. Different from the honorable mention above, though, this one doesn't look good enough to deserve one of the main three, but you wish it did, as the concept is too good to overlook, and the artist only needs more skill. (Meant to represent a player that tries with all his soul to beat Castlevania, but can't. He does, however, get to find a Pot Roast, and finding a Pot Roast is always welcome, but it doesn't help him beat the game, yet. It does makes him confident in trying again, though).

-The Heart Brooch was for people who took part on the contest, but won nothing. It's a "Participation Prize" and denotes a spriting devotee who is still too rough to truly compete. It serves as a spur to keep the artist spriting! (Meant to represent the commonplace-ness of the Heart. Everyone can get a Heart, but not everyone can beat the game)

-The last one, hoo boy... The Graveyard Duck prize would be awarded to those artworks edging on trollish. It's so bad it's good. Being bad at spriting, though, is not reason to win it. You would've to be so bad and the art must have such a sarcastic theme to it, that it wraps around and becomes actually good. Would be a very rare trophy to win. (Meant to represent that famed translation, that's so freakishly bad and out of place, that it's actually iconic and funny, deserving it's own place on the Castlevania lore).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:19:11 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #1264 on: October 05, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »
OK, since I made a lot of awards and wanted to give my input with some ideas for the sprite contest, but arrived too late and it was already decided that only one award was allowed, I'm dumping the sprites here! You're free to use them as you will EXCEPT for the Golden Bat which is this forum's.

Here are the awards. Only the Golden Bat is on the contest:

Here is the rationale I used to create them (plus some other sprites to accompany the suggestions I had in mind):

The first three awards follow a Castlevania Enemy Hierarchy: Golden Vampire Bat (Dracula) for the 1st place, the Silver Reaper Scythe (Death) for the 2nd place, and lastly the Bronze Medusa Head (Annoying/Hard enemy) for the 3th place.

Then I made special awards, too, based on the discussion I read at the thread and some of Uzo's quips:
-The Alloy Vampire Killer was a special award for the Honorable Mentions contestant. Sometimes we want to give the 1st place for two people, or they come to a Draw but one of them is too good to be 2nd, but not as good to be 1st. So they get an Alloy Vampire Killer. Meant to represent the Belmont's stuggle to defeat Dracula (symbolized by the 1st place winner trophy).

-The Alloy Pot Roast was a special award for artworks that are very original, but lack pixel skill. Different from the honorable mention above, though, this one doesn't look good enough to deserve one of the main three, but you wish it did, as the concept is too good to overlook, and the artist only needs more skill. (Meant to represent a player that tries with all his soul to beat Castlevania, but can't. He does, however, get to find a Pot Roast, and finding a Pot Roast is always welcome, but it doesn't help him beat the game, yet. It does makes him confident in trying again, though).

-The Heart Brooch was for people who took part on the contest, but won nothing. It's a "Participation Prize" and denotes a spriting devotee who is still too rough to truly compete. It serves as a spur to keep the artist spriting! (Meant to represent the commonplace-ness of the Heart. Everyone can get a Heart, but not everyone can beat the game)

-The last one, hoo boy... The Graveyard Duck prize would be awarded to those artworks edging on trollish. It's so bad it's good. Being bad at spriting, though, is not reason to win it. You would've to be so bad and the art must have such a sarcastic theme to it, that it wraps around and becomes actually good. Would be a very rare trophy to win. (Meant to represent that famed translation, that's so freakishly bad and out of place, that it's actually iconic and funny, deserving it's own place on the Castlevania lore).

You're free to use the sprites however you wish!

Dude, you should run these through the mods before making them open-source. Alot of good ideas there that could get used in future contests...

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1265 on: October 05, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
Dude, you should run these through the mods before making them open-source. Alot of good ideas there that could get used in future contests...

Well Ok. I'll close them and see if the mods approve.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1266 on: October 05, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
Another little things:

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1267 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
All participants/viewers of the sprite contest, please check out the dungeon's 3-D Work thread as well.

I just posted the dungeon's 1st contest for that thread.

The deadline is the end of November, so that give's everyone enough time to enter that contest as well.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1268 on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
So, is there any new cool Richter sprites I could insert to PoR? been a long time since the last time I checked this thread. it was like a year and a half ago. Thank you.

oh and hi Donoffrio. Do you still hate me? lol

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1269 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
The 3d contest is now a separate thread.
The 3d work thread will serve as a 3d showcase thread, 3d advising, etc.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1270 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »

This 2 are not related to Castlevania but i made the style of the game

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1271 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »

This 2 are not related to Castlevania but i made the style of the game

For your sprites, I think the head position should change a little, and the hair should move. You also need to get out of the habit of a horrific thing called "Pillow Shading". It is one of the worst things you can get into a habit of doing.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1272 on: October 24, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
More:

Now Ornstein With Smough

Yes i use parts of the walk of Julius from AoS

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1273 on: October 25, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
2 things:

1. Does anybody have any sprites of Trevor Belmont whipping downward and diagonal-downwards in NitM style?

2.          EDIT: an animated version of Donoffrio's Richter:
Also, does anybody have any tips on shading? Asking because, my recent CV style sprites look kinda... flat.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:24:16 PM by ZeroSaberGreen »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1274 on: October 29, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
coming from you makes me feel good but I can not understand the part you say Skipped too many leg days, no soy muy bueno con el ingles pero me gustaria que me explicaras en español que trataste de decirme ahi.

Es un dicho que dicen en los Estados Unidos cuando una persona muscular tiene unas piernitititas "Skipped 'Leg Day' " sugiere que la persona, cuando fue al gimnasio, no trabajo en sus piernas en el dia apropiado para trabajar en los musculos de piernas, si no que concentro todos sus dias en el gimnasio solo a su torso/brazos.

(In English)
It's a saying in the USA when a muscular person has itty bitty legs, they "Skipped 'leg day', which suggests that the person, upon going to the gym, did not work on his or her legs at all in their appropriate day to do so, but rather they concentrated completely on their arms/torso.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

anything