Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????  (Read 113726 times)

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Castlevania : The Complete Choronicles ????
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »
I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and nothing at Gamescon? Shame...

I thought I was missing something when I was on vacation for 5 days, but alas, no. Unless this announcement counts. Pity.

I guess anger is better than apathy. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but I can't care enough to be angry at this point. Wake me up when Konami stops being misguided with the Castlevania series. -____-

Careful, your slumber might just grow to be as long as Alucard's.
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »
Can someone answer my previous question please!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »
We will when we know the answer.  Right now it's rumorville.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:23 AM »
if CC is true, it might refer to Simon Castlevanias (1, 2, 4, and the other ones)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Then again, it could refer to absolutely anything. The word "chronicle" is so vague to me, especially in video games. :/

What is a chronicle? A miserable pile of letters thrown together to form a fancy word. But enough talk...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
I'm not confused about the use of "chronicle" in this case. I'd like to know what the heck "complete" refers to.       

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, only one or possibly two games ever sold more than 1 million copies, but I may be mistaken here. Anyway, even the original NES Castlevania failed to crack the top 50 of most sold NES games ever. Stuff like Adventure Island and Ghosts'n Goblins sold more. So, Castlevania is a classic in ever possible way, but it was never really huge. It's borderline obscure and was always more or less like that.
You are mistalken.
At the NES days CastleVania was one of the biggest (and one of the most popular franchises) of Konami. It was right there with Contra and other big names. Simon Belmont is still regarded as the gaming legend and poster boy for Castlevania series, exactly because series was very big back then.
Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night are still fondly remembered. So saying stuff "like series always was in shadows" is quite wrong where most of the things telling opposite.
Besides if CV was as obscure as you said, could it survive for the 25 years? Just simple logic.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
You are mistalken.
At the NES days CastleVania was one of the biggest (and one of the most popular franchises) of Konami. It was right there with Contra and other big names. Simon Belmont is still regarded as the gaming legend and poster boy for Castlevania series, exactly because series was very big back then.
Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night are still fondly remembered. So saying stuff "like series always was in shadows" is quite wrong where most of the things telling opposite.
Besides if CV was as obscure as you said, could it survive for the 25 years? Just simple logic.

My point still stands; The games didn't sell millions of copies like other franchises. Circle of the Moon sold a million, yes, but I'm not sure even SotN did? Castlevania didn't crack the top 50 of best selling NES games. Siimon's Quest and Dracula's Curse fared even worse. Super Castlevania IV wasn't a "best-seller" either, despite being a launch title (at least in europe). Castlevania is not Mario. Or Zelda. Or Mega Man. Contra is rather obscure too, to be honest.

Castlevania is one of the most long-running franchises in gaming history, just not as popular as others. It probably does well enough to keep going, and Konami is proud of it, or something.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
My point still stands; The games didn't sell millions of copies like other franchises. Circle of the Moon sold a million, yes, but I'm not sure even SotN did? Castlevania didn't crack the top 50 of best selling NES games. Siimon's Quest and Dracula's Curse fared even worse. Super Castlevania IV wasn't a "best-seller" either, despite being a launch title (at least in europe). Castlevania is not Mario. Or Zelda. Or Mega Man. Contra is rather obscure too, to be honest.

Castlevania is one of the most long-running franchises in gaming history, just not as popular as others. It probably does well enough to keep going, and Konami is proud of it, or something.

Well, its popular to me, ando to many as million fans (maybe more, maybe less). And speaking of sales, how many buyers of the top selling franchises stay with its games? I have most of the classic Castlevania´s games, and I am proud of it. Also, I prefer it among others like Ghost n Goblins and Zelda or Mario (in classic games). Maybe other dislike this, but that´s the difference among really fans.

And speaking of the possible Chronicles game, I hope they port to another console or handheld (3DS, of course).
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
One of the reasons Circle of the Moon sold so much was because it was a Game Boy Advance launch title. Were there any other CV games that were launch titles for any platform?

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
Hm, I hardly remember what we're talking about anymore. All I was trying to say is that some people seem to believe that Castlevania was a HUGE deal back in the day, and that they wish it would go back to that again. In reality, it has probably stayed the same throughout all these years, with a few popularity ups and downs here and there. The fact is that Lords of Shadow has already (probably) outsold all the classic Castlevanias from the 80's and 90's. Of course, it has the benefit of being released on two consoles, but still.

I shouldn't have called Castlevania "bordeline obscure", but is was always a lot less popular than some fans would have you believe. It was never up there with the likes of Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Mega Man or Final Fantasy. But feel feel to prove me wrong, I've been wrong many a times before.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:12:32 PM by shelverton. »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Listen up: Why does this list have to be for Vita? Yuji Naka's "Rodea the Sky Soldier" has only been officially announced for Wii and 3DS last I heard (and that was a while ago). "Glory of Heracles" series is co-owned by Nintendo as far as I know. "MGS: Rising" and the "MGS HD Collections" were supposed to be for PS3/XBOX360. Moreover, the "TBA Contra" was said to be a next-gen relaunch for the franchise like Lords of Shadow (which wasn't a portable game). I think this list is very vague and very multi-platform. A Castlevania collection was rumored a year or so ago for Wii and PSP. This is likely some update of that concept. It may have expanded its multi-platform to include Vita, but I don't think it'll exclude the current generation of systems like Wii/PS3/XBOX360. I don't see that as a logical business move if nothing else, and the titles listed say that, as well.

Hm, I hardly remember what we're talking about anymore. All I was trying to say is that some people seem to believe that Castlevania was a HUGE deal back in the day, and that they wish it would go back to that again. In reality, it has probably stayed the same throughout all these years, with a few popularity ups and downs here and there. The fact is that Lords of Shadow has already (probably) outsold all the classic Castlevanias from the 80's and 90's. Of course, it has the benefit of being released on two consoles, but still.

I shouldn't have called Castlevania "bordeline obscure", but is was always a lot less popular than some fans would have you believe. It was never up there with the likes of Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Mega Man or Final Fantasy. But feel feel to prove me wrong, I've been wrong many a times before.

As far as i recall, Castlevania was a big deal up until about #4. Simon Belmont was a main character on Captain N TV show right next to the likes of Mega Man, and the second issue of Nintendo Power (following up a cover of Mario) featured a famous and controversial Castlevania II cover. There was a cultural recognition among gamers of the time about Castlevania. As to "sales"--that's kind of skewed. Think about the market and perception of video games at the time. Video games themselves were just above niche, so if you had recognition in the that era, you were something of a popular hit. Some series you mentioned like Sonic and Final Fantasy bloomed more in popularity after Castlevania's initial surge to my recollection.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:18:47 PM by RichterB »

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
Unless anyone has any solid proof of sales (and I doubt they do), then why even try to discuss this? Besides, there are so many factors at work anyway. Yesterday's popular, sales-wise, may not be the same as today's popular. Back then, video games were a past time that primarily children partook in. Children who often didn't have jobs, which means they often didn't have their own money, which is why trading was so common. Nowadays, I don't think the industry is sustained as exclusively by children. People who played video games back then are still playing them, and they're like 35 years-old now. The people who came after them are playing them, too, and that's a heck of a lot of people.

Point-being: More people are playing video games these days, and also more people who have the means to spend more money on them. I don't think you can really compare sales then to sales now without considering several different factors that have changed over the years.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:02:10 AM by Successor The Red »

Offline Colin B.

• Hunter in Training
  • Belmont sturtin'
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
at the end of the conversation, we still have to admit that Castlevania doesn't sell like Mario.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Tags: